I know I'm in for a world of bashing, but what are your thoughts of an LSX motor...

oufan2929

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What are your thoughts of putting an LSX motor in a GenII GTS? My reasoning would be...

--you'd have a lot of room in the engine bay for a Big turbo
--you could rev the heck out of it
--you don't have to pay viper tax on an engine build
--parts are way more available
--everything nearly bolts up w/some minor fab work (from what I gather)
--it's something not everyone has done
--will sound better (just imo of course)
--the driveline in the viper is way more stout so you'd have the best of both worlds
--you can get into a high mileage GenII viper for next to nothing and have a great platform for a race car
--lot's of other reasons I'm just not thinking of right now

Some drawbacks would be

--may or may not retain a/c
--gauges will be aftermarket
--vette guys will hate you and more importantly viper guys will probably REALLY hate you
--feel free to add to the "cons" list

Anyways, a few of us were just wondering what a build like this would entail. And if it's feasible. By all means, it's just a random thought, but I figured I'd put it on here and see what your input would be. Be as harsh as you want, it won't hurt my feelings. I've thought of dumber things before:2tu:

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: I know I'm in for a world of bashing, but what are your thoughts of an LSX motor.

I'm just going to pretend I didn't even read this!

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I know I'm in for a world of bashing, but what are your thoughts of an LSX motor.

There used to be one of your inbreads on ebay. Somebody frankenstiened a Viper body onto a c-4 vett chassis. Maybe you could look into that. Now that Im done pretending to condone this action PLEASE for the love of Mopar dont do it.

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Horrible idea! :mad: No offense but go buy a Vette instead.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Who cares what everyone else thinks. If it's really a race car what do you care about a/c? LSX platfom is proven and very cheap.

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Seems like you want a cheap route....y did you buy the viper in the first place?

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm just going to pretend I didn't even read this!

Lol, x2.

Is the viper motor in the car now blown? Proven platform or not, seems like a waste to me if the motor is fine not to mention the hassle of retrofitting to make it work. Not to mention a/c is nice to have in these cars.

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Try it. We have only so many V10 blocks left.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wouldn't the cost to modify the car, motor mounts....basically everything, to fit the LSX be more expensive than modding the existing Viper engine?..

:dunno:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Last edited:

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think buying a vette and swapping out the viper transmission would be cheaper route...so you can have best of both worlds...it won't make the vette owners hate you and it will definitely not make the viper owners really hate you...

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know someone (who shall remain anonymous given people's reaction to your idea) that put a V8 into a Viper. He installed twin turbos and is doing something like 1000 hp on pump gas. He has campaigned the car in a variety of events including the standing mile and open road challenges. Hit something over 200 in the standing mile if I remember correctly. He would be well recognized by most members of the IL club.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know someone (who shall remain anonymous given people's reaction to your idea) that put a V8 into a Viper. He installed twin turbos and is doing something like 1000 hp on pump gas. He has campaigned the car in a variety of events including the standing mile and open road challenges. Hit something over 200 in the standing mile if I remember correctly. He would be well recognized by most members of the IL club.

do u have a estimate of the cost?
This is what happens when your bored, crazy ideas circulate through your head.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I say go for it as long as you...

-> Never raise the hood outside a closed garage door.

-> Never present it as a Viper.

-> Never drive it to an event where Vipers are known to attend.

-> Post pics and the VIN so if you break rules 1 2 or 3 we can spike strip you.

OP
OP
O

oufan2929

Viper Owner
Reaction score

lol...good read!

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score

do u have a estimate of the cost?
This is what happens when your bored, crazy ideas circulate through your head.

No idea, unfortunately. The car also has a custom Viper'ish body that was a prototype for a racing series that never took off. I can't imagine it was cheap to do. About the only thing that is stock Viper is the frame. The interior was totally changed, trans replaced with a sequential racing box, and Lord knows what else. Very radical and extremely fast.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you want to put a V8 in it, at least stick with the Hemi 6.1L!

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

im all for new ideas and new things, but seriously whats the point....stock they handle 900rwhp

OP
OP
O

oufan2929

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Who cares what everyone else thinks. If it's really a race car what do you care about a/c? LSX platfom is proven and very cheap.

Agreed!:headbang:

OP
OP
O

oufan2929

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Seems like you want a cheap route....y did you buy the viper in the first place?

Cheap is not a priority, but just one of the "pros"...I love vipers!

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dude, this is the VCA not the CCA. I suggest you give them a ring. Why do so many people are always trying to merge a corvette with a viper? Is it that God made Viper so Corvette owners could have someone to worship?

00VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cheap is not a priority, but just one of the "pros"...I love vipers!

You can't state that you love Vipers and then ask about putting a V8 in one. Anyone who truely loves Vipers loves the fact that it has a large displacement V10.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If cost was'nt a factor, I'd love to do an elephant motor under the hood. The biggest factory crate version with injection added. Yes it would sound sweet, look awesome and still stay within the family. I always thought the Viper should of had this set up from the get go.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you want to put a V8 in it, at least stick with the Hemi 6.1L!

This would be a far better idea. Putting a Vette engine in a Viper is as bad an idea to me as putting Chevy 350 in a Ford T-Bucket.

Sometimes there's something to be said for Brand loyalty. Stick with a Dodge V8 if you must make the conversion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang