I want to lower my SRT-10

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love the look of after market wheels on a lowered SRT-10 but I can't stomach spending $4,000 on Motons. Is anyone working on a less expensive system to lower the car? Thanks

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, they are. There were hints of 'inexpensive kit coming soon!' and we haven't heard a word. Do a search and you'll be suprised at how far back it goes....2003, 2004, 2005 and still waiting.

OP
OP
D

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks. I did a search and I found the following paragraph posted by Skip White last year.

"As for lowering the car, please take my advice and buy the Aldan billet coilovers, three way adj shocks. I can get you these for a very good price. The labor to remove the rear shocks is very much more involved than the former GTS, as you have to remove the A-arm. Another advantage to the Aldan is that you have much adjustability. The ride hight is very adjustable. The fronts are a must, and they are very easy to put on."

I read you can buy 4 Aldan shocks for less than $1500. Is this still considered an option for lowering an SRT-10?

Thanks

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really hate it when the past comes to haunt me. I really never dreamed, the problems that lay ahead for me on this. I'm working on it, but have been putting it off for some time. I will very soon have a setup for the car.

There is a problem with the Aldan. The pisotn travel limits how much you can lower the car. It is the rear that gives most of the problems. The front coilovers are at an angle that allows for a short piston stroke.

I spoke to Robert at Aldan last week, and he admits there is a serious problem on the SRT rears. I promise to all to put in some serious time on this project very soon.

The rear fork under the coilover in the rear is to tall to allow what we need.

I've been so busy lately I feel terrible about not getting to this sooner.

Robert is the president of Aldan shock co. He knows the car will need a lower rear fork, not to mention sperical bearings on the top. No problem there but the mounting bracket will need a slight modification.

I've had some hard lessons learing all this, and will approach this with the help of a suspension engineer. I have that lined up.

It really bothered me that Aldan did not take a different approach with this aplication. The product quality is not to bad, it's the application. I would have really never learned what I know now, had I not went through the many problems.

You actually can run these on the car, but do not lower it more than 3/4 of an inch. The springs must be Hyperco, or Eibach. The pound rating should be 650-750 The more the better for several reasons. Also request heavy weight oil, and a bit stiffer valving on the compresion. Spearical bearings are a must, and different bolts, to match up with everything.

Skip White

OP
OP
D

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What are you putting on the car - the Aldans or the Snake-Oyl shocks on their website? Have you talked to SRT owners that have been happy with the new shocks? I really want to lower the car. Thanks.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I had heard that they were better, but now I'm not sure. I didn't think Snake Oyl made them for the SRT. I'm really in the same boat that you are! It *****!

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Snake Oil coilovers do not come with a modified fork for the rear, and they do not have the external resivour. These two things are what allow you to lower the car without a blowing out the shocks. Moton's have this setup, but It's no proble, to supply a comparible setup for the car at a much lower price, not sacrificing quality. What through me off on the Aldans was that they worked ok on the GTS.

Skip White