Idle Sticking

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hoping for some help here. On my 96 GTS the Idle sticks at 1500-2000rpms for 3-5 seconds after I come to a stop. The only time it doesn't is when I go into 2nd and slow the rpm's to below 1500.

When I'm shifting I can sometimes here/see the rpm's start to jump up in between shifts, almost like the throttle is sticking. This condition seems to worsen when the car gets hot.

I have tried re-grounding the wire at the throttle and Computer, no help. I have the mopar performance computer, but I have tried putting the stock one back in, it doesn't help either.

The car just doesn't seem to idle right sometimes either, but the v10 seems to have a funny idle anyway.

The car also has 3:55's in it, and I noticed that there is a little black box with 3:55 gears on it, and it is wired into the cluster near the computer. I have wondered if this is causing any problems. I assume it is just telling the computer the gear ratio is different so that it can compensate.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated, thanks for reading.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was getting the same thing until I switched out the temp guage... haven't had it happen since unless I'm running REALLY hot in stop and go traffic for an hour.

OP
OP
I

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe I'll give that a shot. How much was a new guage and is it easy to swap?

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they programed the earier cars to have idle hang when excess emmissions are being read by a sensor. Could be the motors way of buring off the extra fuel. My '98 did it right from the start (8 miles) when new.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definately sounds like idle hang, there is a quite a few suggestions for things to try, although there is not one proven way to correct it.

You can try resetting your PCM, that is the only things that seems to make it go away for a little bit.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine did this recently.I couldn't drive the car very much this season. On a recent several hundred mile drive it cleared up completely.Just seems to have needed some exercise. GTS Bruce

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the car setting any codes?
Try disconnecting the pcm (********* plug) overnight. It helped my problem.

OP
OP
I

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just wanted to thank everyone for their responses and give a quick update. I have solved my problem by adjusting the idle screw. I know everyone says not to touch them, but I had a feeling the previous owner turned it in to increase the idle, (some people think the lumpy 500rpm idle is bad). Anyway, I backed off the screw about three threads and the car has been running perfect for three days now, even after long drives. So...... yet another possible solution to the idle problem.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted to thank everyone for their responses and give a quick update. I have solved my problem by adjusting the idle screw. I know everyone says not to touch them, but I had a feeling the previous owner turned it in to increase the idle, (some people think the lumpy 500rpm idle is bad).

Do you tear the tags off your matresses too? ;)

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted to thank everyone for their responses and give a quick update. I have solved my problem by adjusting the idle screw. I know everyone says not to touch them, but I had a feeling the previous owner turned it in to increase the idle, (some people think the lumpy 500rpm idle is bad).

Burno does not sleep on a matress but rather on a bed comprised of the bleached bones of those who dare to confront him on the Internet.

OP
OP
I

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Burno does not sleep on a matress but rather on a bed comprised of the bleached bones of those who dare to confront him on the Internet.

How would you like me to ram a metatarsal aginst your sacrum, does that sound like something you would be interested in?

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How would you like me to ram a metatarsal aginst your sacrum, does that sound like something you would be interested in?

I make an effort to prop up your image as an Internet bad boy and all you can offer in return is a swift kick in the badonk?

OP
OP
I

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I make an effort to prop up your image as an Internet bad boy and all you can offer in return is a swift kick in the badonk?

I'm not an internet badboy my friend, I'm just an a$$hole who likes to mix it up now and then.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be intresting, your adjustment is fighting the PCM. The PCM tries to keep the idle at 672 by varying the timing and the idle air control position. Let us know what happens, the adaptives have to be going crazy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreatWhiteKAC