I'm seeing spots......

GTS21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I\'m seeing spots......

.....on the hood (and some other areas) of my "new" 2002 Graphite/cognac RT/10. I took delivery last weekend, and finally (snow melted in the driveway at last) got to do a little zainoing today. I'm finding little black specs on the paint, mostly on the hood. There are a lot of them, cocentrated in certain areas, and I can feel the spots on the paint--the paint doesn't feel as smooth and they are pretty noticeable. On the theory that this was "overspray", I tried using a Mothers clay bar, but it didn't work. Do I need to take something abrasive to the paint? The car only has 44 miles. Any thoughts? Thanks, Eric

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I\'m seeing spots......

This is not normal. the finish on a Viper is to the highest level in the industry. Maybe only other exotics are equal. If you feel something than I would have to assume it isn't paint since all panels are clear coated, sanded and buffed. Once panels are buffed out they are no where near painting booths. I have been to ASC and am familiar with paint process. I wonder if your car picked up some sort of road grime, asphalt spray,(?), on the drive home. Have a professional look at it. Don't start experimenting. Do you know if it was there when you took delivery of car? Can't imagine it leaving CAAP that way. Did you order this car or did you buy it from dealer inventory?

OP
OP
G

GTS21

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply. I've only had the car for a week, and it's been sitting in the garage until today (I haven't driven it yet), so it must have been delivered this way. I bought this car from inventory, but the car has been shipped several thousand miles on a closed carrier (the dealer I bought it from had it shipped to them from another dealer and then shipped to me). Thanks again, Eric

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would have a local vipertech look at it.
maybe a issue for the dealer that sold you the car?

good luck

JIM

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds like acid rain spots (right area of the country) either from sitting outside at the first dealer or on transport from the first dealer, unless you saw it come off the transport no way to gurantee it was a covered carrier. Delivery to the first dealer would have been from Realible carriers and that would have been enclosed. I would contact Sal Zaino, he has been very helpful on the phone with various problems and solutions.

OP
OP
G

GTS21

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the replies. At this point, I believe that it is paint overspray. The car was in a body shop having a scratch fixed before it was shipped to me. It must have been too close to another car getting painted. I emailed Sal Zaino a day or two ago, but haven't heard back. Sal, are you out there? Thanks again to everyone for the help. Eric

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

use 3M rubbing compound (fine)
Then use a high grade wax (Zaino is good)

If it is stuck to the paint, you will need to use a rubbing
compound of some sort. There is a ton of clear coat on Vipers
so don't worry.

Good luck,

2Charmed

VENM8R

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Have you tried Naptha? It removes tar and undercoating pretty good. Those tractor rigs (towing your car) blow alot of junk behind them while cruising the highways.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had the same type of bumps on my '99 RT-10. The car was titan silver. They were only on the drivers side door. Never could remove them. They were actually in the clear coat and were graphite colored specs. I wonder if the striping process of another part causes this? Oh well, my 02 red GTS is spot free.

OP
OP
G

GTS21

Enthusiast
Reaction score

manasas1--did you ever attempt to remove the spots, or were they so embedded in the clear coat that they couldn't be removed? The spots on my car feel like they are on top of the clear coat, I can actually feel each individual bump (where there is a large concentration of them, the paint feels rough). I'm hoping that something abrassive will get them off. Thanks, Eric

OP
OP
G

GTS21

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Update---I used Mothers Cleaner Wax and a little elbow grease, and got the black spots off. I was afraid of using anything too abrasive, and the Mothers product seemed to fit the bill! Thanks for the help. Now, if I could only get to drive it (still has only 44 miles) Eric