Intercooler with Roe Supercharger

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone installed, or had installed, an intercooler with a Roe supercharger? If so, what intercooler did you use? How much did it cost? How muuch was the installation? How long did it take? Did you have to get new cards from Sean or otherwise retune the engine? Were you pleased with the result? I know that the water/**** installation has a similar, if not better effect for less money, but for those of us who do not want to deal with additional fluids, etc., an intercooler would be an interesting modification. Thank you in advance for your responses.

BLWNV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Intercoolers usually come after the air has been compressed. The compressing of the air is what heats it up. Roe is a screw type SC and sits directly on top of the motor, and there is no place for an intercooler.

An intercooler for this type of SC would have to be water/air and would be hard to make work in the limited area under our hoods because it would have to fit between the SC and the motor. A centrifugal SC and turbochargers can have an intercooler that the air travels through after being compressed. Turbo's also create heat because of being driven by the exhaust gasses.

Answer; use water alcohol injection.

Water injection can come in handy on Centrifugal SC's and Turbochargers.

Its all about cool air=hp.

Alan

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Sean says that it is possible to do it but would cost far more than the water/**** application and produce less bang for the buck. I just want to see if anyone has done it. My Lightning has a liquid intercooler with an Eaton - another twin screw type supercharger. I like the idea of no refills. Also, why couldn't a liquid/air intercooler be located in the vicinity of the stock air box to cool the intake air before it hits the intake runners? I know that this might not be very useful in the winter up North but down here in Miami where you can cook a sidewalk omelet for breakfast during the summer months, it might help.

BLWNV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be great. My guess is the hood clearance is the problem.

We need to run the air through a refrigerator before it goes to the motor. (maybe a generator to power the frige):)

Good Luck Bob,
Alan

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at an offshore Poker run last weekend and there was a lot of roots blowers with intercoolers. I took a lot of photos. I wonder why this tech has not been used on the viper. BLWNV10 does have a point about clearance though. Top be continued.....

aslowdodge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the intercooler would have to sit inside the manifold. Being liquid Sean was a bit concerned if it happened to spring a leak, it would be bad for the coolant to go strainght down to the intake runners. Not wanting to run the risk he went with methanol

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The water methanol works great and is no bother at all to keep the tank full. If you have a Roe, you should have the kit.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would not be a very effective intercooler either, would get serious heat soak. And even if you could get it cooler than the air coming from the blower it would not spend enough time in the intercooler to do anything worth while.

Water/**** or just straight **** is your best bet, unless you want to put some nitrous on it :) .

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see how you could intercool the compressed air with the Roe SC. You would have to place a "radiator" inside the compression chambre and/or you could cool the SC's oil. Both solutions are "uneffective" compared to the methanol/water.

Methanol/water is a chimical intercooling method (Likewise the nos is a chimical "supercharger"). Water injection has a double effecte on screw type SC. It reduces air temperature in the combustion chamber and seals the SC's screws thus increasing its compression effectiveness. On a Paxtron SC water injection is less effective but can be beneficial.