iPods or MP3 players

Rod Eakins

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good evening. I am a new member so hope I have the correct etiquette. I have just bought a 2002 convertible sight unseen. I am coming to America in August to drive Route 66 after which I will export to my home in Melbourne, Australia. Can someone tell me if the standard sound system has provision for using an iPod, if not could you suggest a suitable unit to connect an iPod please. I want to play "'get your Kicks on Route 66'. Thank you, Rod Eakins

Black Adder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Rod,
On the 2003-10 cars (I think 2002 was the same) you had two versions of standard radio unit, both made by Alpine for Chrysler. There was the RBQ which was a FM/AM radio with in dash 6 disc CD player (search RBQ radio) and the RB1, FM/AM plus GPS nav screen and single CD player. You can add additional modules including one for adding an iPod. With the RBQ the ipod interface is "clugy" but it works. I prefer the RB1 with ipod as it displays rack, artist, playlist etc etc on the nav screen.
Unfortunately both solutions are MUCH more expensive that using an aftermarket head unit. I just converted my RBQ to an RB1 plus ipod interface. The RB1 (used on eBay) cost $400 and the ipod interface was another $200. The good news it was a plug in replacement and only took an hour to install with just a couple of screwdrivers.
FYI my wife and I drove across America last year in our 2006 vert after the VOI in Charlott NC. We drove to San Jose CA and over half the trip was on I-40 which tracks route 66 from Oklahoma to California

Tagoo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't believe the Gen II vipers had any of the options that were available for the gen III-IV cars described above. My 2002 had am/fm and CD. Not even an auxiliary input. It may be old school, but you could just burn a few CDs with the music you want. If you do, be sure to burn them as audio (WAV file), not as an MP3 file. I think the Gen II CD player only plays regular audio CDs.

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tago. You are right. Tough on the gen II . I am going through the hardwire iPod adaptor through the antenna. Will let you know how it comes out.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe the Gen II vipers had any of the options that were available for the gen III-IV cars described above. My 2002 had am/fm and CD. Not even an auxiliary input. It may be old school, but you could just burn a few CDs with the music you want. If you do, be sure to burn them as audio (WAV file), not as an MP3 file. I think the Gen II CD player only plays regular audio CDs.

correct. Or you can save money and just sing at the top of your lungs :drive:

OP
OP
R

Rod Eakins

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I have done a bit more reading and discovered a "BELKIN TuneCast Auto". This is a unit that broadcasts the iPod selection so it can be received on FM frequency on the car radio. I have bought one and it works well on my car, also it charges the iPod at the same time.

Singing with a loud voice is not an option, I would not subject my wife to three and a half weeks of torture with me singing.

Thanks again, see you on the road. Cheers, Rod Eakins

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang