IT'S OFFICIAL!!... bye bye VIPER :(

G2k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.motortrend.com/news/the-dodge-viper-is-being-axed-because-it-cant-fit-curtain-airbags/ just wanted to share

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
So.....

I was looking at some of the build sheets for the Gen V Vipers and ran accross this in the build list

"Supplemental Frt Seat Side Air Bags"

Can someone explain this to me

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I predict that you will see an updated ME412 design with a Hellcat engine for power and an eight speed auto or 6 speed manual available. The car will be incredible. Model year? Pure guess: 2019.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I predict that you will see an updated ME412 design with a Hellcat engine for power and an eight speed auto or 6 speed manual available. The car will be incredible. Model year? Pure guess: 2019.

Stop. Don't get my hopes up. I would sell a kidney to own an original ME412 design.

VPRPWRD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So.....

I was looking at some of the build sheets for the Gen V Vipers and ran accross this in the build list

"Supplemental Frt Seat Side Air Bags"

Can someone explain this to me

Side curtains deploy from the roof / pillar area. The front side seat air bags will come from the side bolster area of the seat. The curtain is designed to essentially cover the window area while the seat bolster air bag is designed to protect in the door panel area. I hope this helps.

kilr4d

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ahhh f**k...it's time to accept things for what they are. :(

Our cars are too exotic (obnoxious, cramped, poor visibility, tough to park, expensive, heavy clutch, low volume, giant wings, poor aftermarket support for a North American car) but not exotic enough (low revving, pushrod, no clutchless gearbox, no awd, no forced induction, etc) for today's world.

Fast as hell in the hands of a skilled driver simply isn't enough anymore. A standalone drivetrain and chassis is IMPOSSIBLE with today's fuel economy, emissions and crash regulations. If the Viper ever comes back, it will have to be *very* exotic like the new Ford GT or it will have to share the Hellcat architecture and be a direct Corvette competitor.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Side curtains deploy from the roof / pillar area. The front side seat air bags will come from the side bolster area of the seat. The curtain is designed to essentially cover the window area while the seat bolster air bag is designed to protect in the door panel area. I hope this helps.

It does, thanks

So with this midigation, does that mean sun roofs are out across all manufacturers?

twist-a-grip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just joined the forum this week because I'm considering an ACR. Would 2016 be the final MY or 2017? If MY16, can anyone guess when production may end? Just want to see if I need to get one tomorrow, or if I can wait and order one for the summer as planned.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Normally MY production ends in June, however, nothing has been normal. I haven't seen what the line up for 2017 is.

Bad news, as Vipers start to accumulate on lots, the production can just suddenly ..... End

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a lame excuse to me.
I agree with Sybil. It should just be a given when you buy this car it might not have a four star safety rating. If I wanted a fuel efficient safety pillow to ride around in I would buy something else. I guess it's inevitable but I don't have to like it one bit.:(

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jeff,

2016s are not accumulating , as the number of ACRs on the ground is the lowest I have ever seen. Most everyone is taking advantage of the most extensive ordering options of any vehicle in the FCA lineup, and though complex to some , it is due to the constant change being allowed by the gearheads at SRT/Dodge. If it is in system and does not require more extensive funds to accomplish, things are being done daily, monthly. It is unprecedented and when this Beast wanders out of Conner Ave for the last time , there will be a final Viper Pit population of some of the most remarkable machines ever built.

I am definitely not Nostradamus, but common sense has to prevail when we see Porsche 911s going to 3.0 ltr. twin turbos, dropping the naturally aspirated motor, and Ford as noted with a V6 GT. It is apparent that CAFE requirements will continue to impact the industry , especially the fun machines we all like . A lighter Camaro, a Cuda on a new platform , etc. , all the data is there to show the coming trend. This note on the airbags has been known for awhile as problematic for the Viper, and EPA issues for bigger engines is not even questionable. We own a legendary car, and it will become even more so, but to many of us the handwriting on the wall is logically apparent. I can't honestly believe they will let the Viper die, since like the Hemi moniker , it will resonate well into the future, but it will not shock me one bit to see it on an Alfa frame , with a 500+hp turbo'd motor , and yes, a somewhat different look. My hope for the future lies in the fact that Ralph Gilles is the Head of Design for FCA ( spends one week a month in Italy ), and as one member of the 13 person board, he takes the genetic makeup of the Snake's shape and rebirths the beast in a visage all will recognize!

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if the original build Viper as we know it goes away, even though it may be revived as a completely different platform, will that mean our current "original" cars will see a hike in value in the future? Even the '03's...?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if the original build Viper as we know it goes away, even though it may be revived as a completely different platform, will that mean our current "original" cars will see a hike in value in the future? Even the '03's...?:rolleyes:

Only the Gen2's....

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jeff, what is, in your opinion the most collectible Viper?

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I'll give this some thought and post up when I'm not on my phone

People won't like my answer

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will guess and say it's the1996 Viper dark green pearl coat there was just one done in that color period

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
After careful consideration, I'm going to keep my thoughts to myself on what I think might be the cars that bring the dollars.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper