Jacking up the GTS

Viper44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a quick question for some of you. I have a four post lift and am going to jack the 96 GTS up on the lift to remove the four wheels (for maintenance). Besides the two factory jack up points on each side of the car (front and back of the side sills), where are other safe places to jack the car up from (front and back)? This would be for both lifting the car and also placing jack stands. I did a search but really didn’t come up with any definite answers. Any pictures of these areas would also be great. I don’t want to just start lifting the car where I think the frame would be ok and come to find out I really shouldn’t have done that. Thanks for any help you can give.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Viper 44 ,
I scanned the jacking points from my 94 factory service manual for you. i think it will be the same.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
V

Viper44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Harleyman, thanks for the scan. The only thing is it doesn't show anything for the frame rails (front or back). I know people have jacked up their cars on them before and also have put jack stands below the car. So does that mean we can't put any jack stands below the car on the frame? If we can I would like to know where the "correct or safe" spots are I have two jack trays on my 4 post that I want to use with jack stands while I take all of the wheels off but am not sure where to put the stands and do not want to mess anything up or tweak the car.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to see the floor jack that would fit under the front frame crossmember.

I have done it with a Craftsman low profile aluminum racing jack. Scary, but it does work enough to get jack stands on the outer arms on the frame. Just be careful and watch where the pad is hitting the frame and lock down the brakes and put scotches in front and behind the rear wheels.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put my RT and GTS on a 4 post at my shop all the time for cleaning. Put the car in position then run the floor jack under the rear. Either side frame rail at the back. Jack it up high enough to put the pads under,(you will be able to set the front at same time) lower the jack so cars on the pads, raise the lift. Reverse order to remove it. Any where on the frame rails is solid for lifting. The frame is rigid 2X3 or 4 box, it isn't going to bend.:2tu:

OP
OP
V

Viper44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Raysir,
Thank you for the reply and great info. I was looking for this kind of info but wanted to find out before I messed up anything on the car. I am pretty anal when it comes to the car and don't want to mess it up in any way.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought that you did have to be careful lifting with the frame in the back. I swear I remember people saying that you could tweak the frame if you jacked it in the wrong place.

OP
OP
V

Viper44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carguy07, You have me thinking about this again. If you do know of spots that are no good to lift or support the car let me know. I haven't lifted the car up yet but want to go so soon.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would sure like to see the proof of the bend!!! Been doing it on mine 2 years now. Been doing it on other Vipers as well in my alignment and repair shop. Haven't see any miss aligned panels or bent frames. Don't see any problems jacking up in rear just enough to put the 4 post pads under the car. Usually the tires arent even off the ground. Slide the jack under from rear as far as you can and still work the handle. Not talk'n about jacking it up as far as you can at the rear. Use some common sense and pay attention to what you ar doing.:headbang: :2tu:

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your very careful as i am, get a good piece of hardwood that is long enough to cross the frame and lift on it. it will help distribute load and protect scratching or denting frame. if you want to get fancy cut notches to fit the frame so the wood can not move.:) I use 2 bottle jacks after lifting an inch with a screw jack.

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put on tires for the track 17" rims Gen I. Used a sissors jack from the mini van. It was the only thing I could get under then put jack stand under. Seems to be normal, hope I didn't mess anything up? I have the OEM 19" wheels(345/30 ZR19 that I wanted to put on the back. Will this give me a different reading on my speedometer.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday, I towed my PT cruiser for 1/2 a mile with the GTS. :D It drew quite a crowd. Unfortunately no pictures. That frame is strong.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a four post lift with jack trays, but rarely use the jack tray. I use the lift to raise the car, put four jack stands under the car and lower the car onto the jack stands. Very fast and easy way to get all four wheels off the ground.

OP
OP
V

Viper44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jk,
I am thinking about doing that also. Where have you been putting the jack stands on the frame (locations)?