Just Ordered Some Kumho Ecsta V700s

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Was out cruising my cars today, and my high 10-low 11 second Stang on new sticky BFG DRs felt safer than my Viper GTS on the stock "Hockey Pucks" Michelon Pilots.

I mean just tap the throttle in the Viper in 1st or 2nd and you are sideways, so some much needed traction was the order of the day.

At the track hopefully this will cure the dreaded 1-2 shift wheelhop and I can go all out and get some 11s.

Howard

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been running Kumhos for years on various cars of mine (I currently have the Kumho Supras on my fiancee's VW Beetle). They are very good tires, especially for the money. After my Pilots get a bit more wear, I will definitely be upgrading.

OP
OP
Y

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My buddy has a 2000 GTS and he is buying my 2 rear 10K mile pilots for $200.

Plus he is mounting and balancing my Kumhos for free.

Not a bad deal, for $324 total I'll have 2 NEW 335/30/18 Kumhos.

11.6s would be a dream come true, but since I have a creampuff with only smooth tubes and filters I'll settle or 11.999. It has trapped 118.5 grannysjifting and completely lifting on the 1-2 shift due to wheelhop, so I know the power is there.

Howard

NguyenJ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much do the Kumhos rears cost? Whats a good deal? Thinking about ordering 2 for the rear. Any problem with Michelons in front and Kumhos in rear? :confused:

OP
OP
Y

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Kumhos were $241 each plus shipping from Tire Rack.

Total was $524.

I have heard alot of people run Michekons in front because the Kumhos tend to throw rocks and gravel up on the sides from the front tires.

Howard

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A number of guys on this board run Pilots up front w/ Kumhos on the rear. That's what I'll be doing this spring after I do my gear and half shaft swap.

Also, depending on how much you value the paint of your car, you may want to consider doing a 3m clear coat on the rear underside. Kumhos are known to pick up rocks.

NguyenJ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dice what are you doing to your gears and half shafts? What are you swapping out your half shafts for? How good is that company?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much do the Kumhos rears cost? Whats a good deal? Thinking about ordering 2 for the rear. Any problem with Michelons in front and Kumhos in rear? :confused:
Kumho makes a 275-35-18 in their top of the line MX non-race compound tire (295-35-18 also) so you could at least have the same brand on all four corners if you wanted to mix compounds. They cost just a bit less than the V700 rears.

What about the Micheline Pilot Cup tires in racing compound. Anyone running those. Lots more money than the Kumho V700, but I hear they are not quite as soft and might be a good tire for the street (dry street that is).

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going to a 3:45 gear and Unitrax heavy duty half shafts. Plus the Kumho's of course. Just can't resist the temptation to put a little more torque to the ground.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My V700s only wheel-hopped once - on fairly cold pavement. Usually hook like velcro 1-2 and 2-3. Definitely put 3m tape on painted areas where the shotgun blast happens (you'll see it after 100 miles).

Watch out in rain - they aquaplane like mad!

OP
OP
Y

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are they really THAT BAD in the rain.

Everyone says BFG DRs are terrible, and I have no problem in my Stang in the rain. I know they get bad as they wear down.

My bet (I'm hoping) is as the tires wear down they will be Bad in the rain, but probably OK with decent tread.

Howard