Lack of maturity and a 500HP SRT/10 = dead teen

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think its the same story as the one that was posted a few weeks back. Very unfortunate.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You know I just have to post on this. Already blaming the kid and the fact that he was driving a sports car...
Half of us old f$%KS have lost control of these cars at one time or another. Age has nothing to do with it. These cars are a hand full.Even Toby starts this thread with "Lack of maturity". HEY Toby were you behind them when the accident occurred? I hate stereotyping...
Jumping off the soap box... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
T

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know I just have to post on this. Already blaming the kid and the fact that he was driving a sports car...
Half of us old f$%KS have lost control of these cars at one time or another. Age has nothing to do with it. These cars are a hand full.Even Toby starts this thread with "Lack of maturity". HEY Toby were you behind them when the accident occurred? I hate stereotyping...
Jumping off the soap box... :rolleyes:

I said "lack of maturity" specifically as I agree...age really had little to do with it. I do think you could add ignorance and lack of parental control to the mix if you like.

I know a few teenagers who are more "mature" than many middle aged adults. They also can handle a race car better than most adults too.

and sorry guys...I read the previous thread too but missed the video. Didn't put the two together. :2tu:

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Knowledge is a big thing too. I know if I wasn't on these forums I would have hammered my car the first day thinking "oh its just another sports car...I'm used to the vette..etc." I would have tried to see "what its made out of". I'm sure if others had given this guy advise not to hammer it and get used to it first this whole situation could have been avoided.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottom line: 99% of 17 year olds are going to get hurt, or in big trouble with a 500 HP car capable of +/- 200 MPH. I'm sure there is that 1% that is super mature, or went to several driving schools, or grew up driving carts, but were talking about the norm. I include myself as part of the 99% at 17, no doubt.

Not only that, but would you let someone ride as a passenger in your Viper without putting on the seat belt? Didn't think of that, did you? That shows a lack of maturity and judgement.

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like many here, I started with Vettes before driving Vipers.If I would have started with a Viper, I think I may have had trouble.....A 500 hp car without tc should come with a loud warning.....

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know one thing for sure....if I had driven a Viper at the age of 17 I probably wouldn't be here right now.

You make far more stupid mistakes when you are younger. As the school principal said "Young kids think they are invincible."

Rocket65C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a good point- The FAA puts the responsibility on the Pilot-In-Command, the PIC. And it's a FAR(Federal Aviation Regulation) that all passengers and the PIC are buckled up. Granted, a Viper isn't an airplane but it sure can take-off and fly like one, at least a short distance. Anyway, point is, the driver who "knows" the car needs get the passenger to buckle up. That's at least one spot where the driver made an error(if in deed the passenger wasn't restrained).

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottom line folks. There is a reason why the insurance rate for teens (males more specifically) are what they are. Lack of maturity(whole lot of ignorance) and the willingness to do whatever it takes to get some ( o )( o ) & (_i_) in the car!