Lap Time Differences between stock 02 ACR and SRT-10

Irid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking on the viper days site and didn't see many times to help answer the question:

Dead stock, with the same driver, what's the time difference between an 02 (with ABS!) GTS ACR and a later SRT-10? At any track...

The ACR has a more track oriented suspension. The SRT-10 has a bit more power and better brakes...

Really I'm looking for lap time examples, especially given the same driver, not to start a big debate ;-) Are they close, way off, etc...

Cheers

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock vs Stock - the ViperDays matrix puts the SRT in Modified and the ACR in Prepared - so the SRT should be faster - all other things being equal.

That's a big if....

However, the overall suspension of the SRT is better - even though the ACR is more race oriented. And the braking is phenomenal - even against other ABS cars - as a result of freeing up the suspension for more compliance. earing is effectively a little lower in the SRT due to the larger wheels, so that's a disadvantage, and some SRT's may still be running on Run Flats vs a stickier non-run flat street tire. But the way the SRT puts the power down is so much more controlled, the car is just plain easier to drive fast.

I felt truly invincible autocrossing my SRT and I suspect that if I'd taken it on a road course that feeling of confidence would have translated into much better lap times.

My money would be on an SRT.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yep,

Lap times should be lower in an SRT-10. Especially with a relatively inexperienced driver. It's just a bit easier to drive fast.

Dan

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My bet is that a Gen 2 will go arround the track nearly as fast, if it didnt we would have all known about it by now.

Fact is the SRT has not managed to set any new records besides breaking when compared to Gen 2's.

If someone has some track times to prove otherwise, I will be the first to eat crow.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought back around the time of the SRT introduction that testing at Mid Ohio had the SRT better the Gen II by 2-3 seconds per lap. Seems like this was with Archer driving. It should be in the archives for anyone that is able to use them effectively.

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok here is some unscientific info.

My 2000 GTS with belanger cat back and intake system and single plane wing at Thunderhill 2:11:651

2004 SRT with Corsa catback and K&N's 2:09:654

Some other observations, you have to relearn to drive in the SRT, it can get scary. The GTS brakes scared me, the SRT's speed scared me. In the GTS I would hit 120 down the straight, in the SRT around 135, again it gets hairy braking for turn one. The GTS felt more stable, maybe the wing helped, the SRT's brakes are so much better that sometimes you would brake so late and hard you could unsettle the car.

I felt safer in the GTS, the SRT is so fast it makes you push the envelope more. I feel I have so much more in the SRT whereas I felt I maxed out the GTS.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok here is some unscientific info.

My 2000 GTS with belanger cat back and intake system and single plane wing at Thunderhill 2:11:651

2004 SRT with Corsa catback and K&N's 2:09:654

Some other observations, you have to relearn to drive in the SRT, it can get scary. The GTS brakes scared me, the SRT's speed scared me. In the GTS I would hit 120 down the straight, in the SRT around 135, again it gets hairy braking for turn one. The GTS felt more stable, maybe the wing helped, the SRT's brakes are so much better that sometimes you would brake so late and hard you could unsettle the car.

I felt safer in the GTS, the SRT is so fast it makes you push the envelope more. I feel I have so much more in the SRT whereas I felt I maxed out the GTS.

Kinda comparing apple and oranges. Your 2000 doesn't have ABS, the better comparison would be against the 2001-2002, BUT your times with a non abs car compared pretty well against the SRT :2tu:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I feel the same way. Not so much the speed :) but the unsettled feeling during max braking. On high decels prior to a turn I find myself in ABS mode most of the time. When that happens the car noticeably moves side to side. What has happened to me is my brake point is much deeper than a Gen I/II (non ABS) but I provide myself a safety zone larger than I did previously. The brake point is still much deeper, even with the higher speed and safety zone, but I am still uncomfortable with the unsettled feeling. The safety zone really is to allow the car to settle before turning in.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT will be faster for 1-2 laps, then, if driving counter-clockwise, the ACR will be faster because the SRT will have blown up due to oil starvation.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Funny,

It seems that both the GTS and SRT have oil starvation problems with an experienced driver and Hoosiers on a warm day. I wonder why DC hasn't addressed this issue? I own one of each and the SRT is more stable and faster. The GTS's styling just screams Viper, the SRT-10 .... I'm getting used to it.

OP
OP
I

Irid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was hoping for someone with direct experience with the late ACR compared to the SRT; I guess that's a bit rare ;-)

Who has the part number for the Comp Coupe oil pan (and any other pick up parts necessary for the install)?

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only way to really compare is look at track records for each car, in stock trim.

Now which web site holds such records?