Leather dye on seats/viper emblem embroydery

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, I have seen a number of people's interiors and the centre section of their seat is dyed the same color as their car, and some have the viper emblem embroydered in the top part. I am looking to do this to my 98 GTS as well, but I am wanting some info from people.

First, I called a local leather shop and they said they don't have dye that would stick to pre-dyed leather..jus raw leather. I didn't know there was a difference but obviously there is. What kind of leather dye have people used that sticks and doesn't lift up.

Second, when it comes to the Snake emblem I have seen sewn on there. Is there a place that you buy these emblems, and get them sewn on there (cheap) or do you have to take the seat into a leather shop and get them to design it and embroyder it in?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure about the "dye" Idea, the ones I've seen are "reupholstered" (sp?) and not simply color changed. I do not think you'll ever get a dye to change the color of our black seats.

Additionally, the logos I've seen seem to be custom embroidered (onto the new leather while its flat) and not a "patch" that can be sewn into a seatback like a boy scout patch is sewn onto a shirt.

I may be wrong here, but I think the interior treatments you're seeking are more involved than you may believe.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep the middle portion would have to be reupolster the part to be red. That being said if I want to get that viper emblem embroydered...is the leather skin difficult to remove and reinstall?

Leatherman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I can confirm that no leather dye will do a good job as upholstery leather has a silicone finish to seal the surface to stop the ingress of dirt. You can download a viper emblem to disc off the internet and take it to your local embroidery shop with a suitable piece of leather and then get your local upholsterer to recover the center section. Or as mentioned above Venzano do a very good job.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I will pass on Venzy...thanks for the offer. If anything I will take it to a local embroydery shop and have it done. That said how hard is it to remove the leather skin off the seat?

Leatherman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The seat fob is held by a couple of wire clips underneath the front edge and easy to remove then you will have to take the seat out as there will be some more clips underneath holding the cover tight. It might be better to take the seat to an upholsterer and have him remove the seat cover for you and then he can make sure it is put back correctly. On most seats the side bolsters go soft and require re-stuffing so he could add some more foam for you at the same time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456