looking for a salvage wrecked gen 3 or gen 4 viper

fearsuch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
looking at rebuilding a gen 3 or gen 4 viper, does anyone have one forsale or know of one
doesnt matter on color or coupe or convert.
thanks for the help

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw a red Gen 3 the other day on fleabay. There's a silver '03 out there now that looks like it's been hit pretty hard.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try x2builders in Maryville IL. He has some cars come through now and again. Plus, he seems to be right upfront on the major items that need to be replaced.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pick a part in Columbia station, Ohio .....ask for Gus, they always have vipers/zo6/cobras/other srt vehicle wrecks.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for a rebuilder in a SRT as well. Has anyone every purcahsed from copart.com or iaai.com??? Good/Bad?

Thanks!

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
My full disclaimer - I have rebuilt one SRT and am in the process of rebuilding a second. You need to be very realistic in the amount of damage and costs to rebuild. Much of the damage you will see in the pictures on copart, iaai, or ebay is only skin deep, with the expensive repairs not being fully visible. From a pure cost perspective, you almost need to steal one in order to come out ahead as the cost for replacement parts is still relatively high as compared to what you can buy a used Viper for. And then you still have the stigma of the salvage/rebuilt title issue to contend with. I estimate a salvage/rebuilt title to reduce value by 20 - 25% depending on the quality and documentation of the repair.

I loved every minute of my first rebuild and am having a lot of fun with my second. I wanted to build a Street Serpent so going the rebuild route made the most amount of sense for me. I once tried to add up all of my costs and stopped mid-way as it was not looking good. I've tried to be more frugal with my second rebuild - and still want to do some custom touches - so in the end, my total cash outlay will be very similar to what I would have spent for a used Viper.

Good luck!

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My full disclaimer - I have rebuilt one SRT and am in the process of rebuilding a second. You need to be very realistic in the amount of damage and costs to rebuild. Much of the damage you will see in the pictures on copart, iaai, or ebay is only skin deep, with the expensive repairs not being fully visible. From a pure cost perspective, you almost need to steal one in order to come out ahead as the cost for replacement parts is still relatively high as compared to what you can buy a used Viper for. And then you still have the stigma of the salvage/rebuilt title issue to contend with. I estimate a salvage/rebuilt title to reduce value by 20 - 25% depending on the quality and documentation of the repair.

I loved every minute of my first rebuild and am having a lot of fun with my second. I wanted to build a Street Serpent so going the rebuild route made the most amount of sense for me. I once tried to add up all of my costs and stopped mid-way as it was not looking good. I've tried to be more frugal with my second rebuild - and still want to do some custom touches - so in the end, my total cash outlay will be very similar to what I would have spent for a used Viper.

Good luck!

I completly agree you must get the car at a steal of a price to make it worth it. If you don't mind me asking where to you purchase your wrecked cars from? I get the fact you can't buy off ebay. I looked into copart and iaai and just don't want to dump out $500 right off the start to "maybe" bid on a wreck. Any suggestions? I think in order to start a rebuild off on the right foot it needs to be purchased at a "rebuilders" or "dealers" price.

-Tim

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
X2 Builders in Maryville, IL, I had a wonderful experience with them. Then contact Don Scharf Automotive in Eagle River, WI for anything you need during the rebuild. Another amazing place to do business with, and I can just about guarantee they'll have everything you need.

FWIW, if you can do the work yourself and do your homework before the purchase, you'll be golden. I spotted my car from X2 on eBay, drove 8 hours to inspect it and put my money down, then drove back to pick it up the next week. I did find a few minor things that X2 didn't mention, but I found way more that was amazing that they did not mention. Upon initial inspection I noticed Autoform rollbar, Belanger header back exhaust and Roe VEC3. After getting it home and doing some digging, I found that the motor was built, with receipts totaling more than I paid for the car!

FWIW2, I have less money into my 04 SRT10 than the 03 350z I sold to buy it.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
X2 Builders in Maryville, IL, I had a wonderful experience with them. Then contact Don Scharf Automotive in Eagle River, WI for anything you need during the rebuild. Another amazing place to do business with, and I can just about guarantee they'll have everything you need.

FWIW, if you can do the work yourself and do your homework before the purchase, you'll be golden. I spotted my car from X2 on eBay, drove 8 hours to inspect it and put my money down, then drove back to pick it up the next week. I did find a few minor things that X2 didn't mention, but I found way more that was amazing that they did not mention. Upon initial inspection I noticed Autoform rollbar, Belanger header back exhaust and Roe VEC3. After getting it home and doing some digging, I found that the motor was built, with receipts totaling more than I paid for the car!

FWIW2, I have less money into my 04 SRT10 than the 03 350z I sold to buy it.

I am actually looking for a 06 or 08 Coupe. Also looking for the impossible. Around 20K...... I know I am 100% crazy, but was about an hour short of picking one up (Even in Michigan) because someone beat me to it and put money down. I felt so bad I lost it I actually contacted the guy that bought the car and told him I was willing to pay him extra. Needless to say he doesn't know a lot about Vipers and can't even get it started :D. He's suppose to call me next week sometime and let me know if hes interested in selling.

I rebuilt a 94 RT as my first Viper. Paid 15K for the car. Put about 10K+ into. Paid top $ from Don Scharf (Great custom service) Wasn't worth 20K by the time I was done....... I understand the rebuilt title, and carfax hurts the value, prices are more expensive then norm on parts, and Vipers are a bit more complex when it comes to rebuilding. I think 20K is a realistic (hopeful) number.

Overall it was a great learning experience (meaning I learned to buy a nice and clean GTS). I just would like a nice SRT coupe project and I have an idea to do something AMAZING with the car :). Thread-Hijacked.

-Tim

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watch(and buy from) copart and Iaai every week. Not sure you will buy a nice rebuilder 06 coupe for $20k(upper 20's yes). No way you will find a nice rebuilder 08 for in the 20's at all. And I am talking about nice easy damage not severe frame damage cars. Ive built high performance cars that had severe frame damage and no matter how well I had the frame work done they just never drive like a non frame damaged one(thats why I prefer buying theft now). Dont get me wrong I hope you find the right one soon so you can be rolling by summer but be careful on Iaai and copart alot of the cars on there are dealer crap and you will be burned if you buy one of them. Best of luck on your search brotha. You should have jump on the one you posted the other day.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watch(and buy from) copart and Iaai every week. Not sure you will buy a nice rebuilder 06 coupe for $20k(upper 20's yes). No way you will find a nice rebuilder 08 for in the 20's at all. And I am talking about nice easy damage not severe frame damage cars. Ive built high performance cars that had severe frame damage and no matter how well I had the frame work done they just never drive like a non frame damaged one(thats why I prefer buying theft now). Dont get me wrong I hope you find the right one soon so you can be rolling by summer but be careful on Iaai and copart alot of the cars on there are dealer crap and you will be burned if you buy one of them. Best of luck on your search brotha. You should have jump on the one you posted the other day.

Good to know. This is not a area I am familiar with so all help is great. I have heard not so great things about Copart selling half-ass put together to look better than what they were. I would really prefer not to buy a damaged car but like I said I am not keeping the car stock so I don't want to compromise a factory car in great shape. Also I really want a SRT so this would be my foot in the door now opposed to waiting until after summer (I earn 80% of my income in the summer)

I know I missed on that one see thread:

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/650830-SRT-coupe-rebuilder

Also any idea what this thing will go for?????

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?auctionID=0&itemID=12118975&RowNumber=1#

If everyone interested in the car would back off and let me win for low 20's Drinks on me!

-Tim

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 08 Iaai car is a great color combo. High miles, early production car(weaker half shafts), the right side hatch is up so something going on back there, not only is the drivers rail pushed back the front end is over to the right a little see the passenger headlight pushed over, may have under side damage cause Ive never seen any aftermarket shifter sit that low(possible tran cross bar broken), and looks like the motor actually got back into the firewall just behind the intake(that would explain the shifter sitting so low def something broken with the drive train). I bet it'll still hit low to mid 30's. Ive spent hundreds of thousands at these sales and learned to the hard way you have to really look hard at these wreck pics so you will have a good idea of what your getting.

Last edited:

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 08 Iaai car is a great color combo. High miles, early production car(weaker half shafts), the right side hatch is up so something going on back there, not only is the drivers rail pushed back the front end is over to the right a little see the passenger headlight pushed over, may have under side damage cause Ive never seen any aftermarket shifter sit that low(possible tran cross bar broken), and looks like the motor actually got back into the firewall just behind the intake(that would explain the shifter sitting so low def something broken with the drive train). I bet it'll still hit low to mid 30's. Ive spent hundreds of thousands at these sales and learned to the hard way you have to really look hard at these wreck pics so you will have a good idea of what your getting.

Hate to further hijack this thread.....looks like the shifter knob has been removed, which is why it looks low. With the color combination, high miles and the car being in Texas, this car is very familiar.....looks like one of our member's. Hope not.

Bill

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hate to further hijack this thread.....looks like the shifter knob has been removed, which is why it looks low. With the color combination, high miles and the car being in Texas, this car is very familiar.....looks like one of our member's. Hope not.

Bill

That looks like Jason's car. Miles look right for his too!!!

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks like Jason's car. Miles look right for his too!!!

My thoughts exactly.....my GTS Blue and White brother. If it is, he was planning to sell it anyway and I hope the insurance settlement was good. Looks like a minor hit---low speed, no loss of control, no air bags. We know he is an excellent driver. It doesn't take much of a bump to total a Viper. Only question is what's next? Will he wait for a Gen.V?

Bill

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah I forgot the shifter knob and shaft are all one piece. But still the big thing that would make me nervous is the intake contacting the firewall. And why would the right side of hatch be up? These are just the things Im seeing that would be in my mind if I was bidding.

OP
OP
F

fearsuch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yikes if that 2008 goes anywhere near 30,000 you should just buy one ready to go without that salvage status
You will not be saving anything at that price

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yikes if that 2008 goes anywhere near 30,000 you should just buy one ready to go without that salvage status
You will not be saving anything at that price

Agreed! I will be selling my 2008 GTS Blue/White Coupe when the Gen.V comes out. It is a high miler, with about 51,000 miles right now. It will easily have 60 or 65 on the odometer by then. I believe it will bring something in the 40's. (High 40's I hope!!!) But what it is, is. Good luck in your search, and again, sorry to hijack your thread.

Bill

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet this wrecked 08 will hit $30k. And I must agree if I was buying a high mileage 08 Id rather wait on Smog Dogs car if the price will be mid to high 40's. Or you can pick up an rebuilt 08 venom red vert on ebay right now for high 40's.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in StL, which is about 30 minutes from Scott at X2 (Not to be confused with another company with a similar name....). I have personally been to X2 many times. Scott has a lot of builders and is a straight shooter.

Check out his website for examples... AND he's a VCA sponsor....:2tu: