Lost my '08 but Kudos to Bernie (BJ Motors), Mark J. (Woodhouse) and State Farm

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Mark,

I'm now living and working in Michigan, glad to hear you got another Viper....what did you choose?

Regards,
Aaron

A Viper is hard to total? You sure your on the right forum? We wreak these things weekly. Its probabley one of the easiest cars to put away.

This guy doesnt look like any newbie either- looks like hes had his fair share of Vipers which mentions to say he SOLD them.

Anways...Sorry man- been there myself, learned from it and bought another...

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before we slam the guy, maybe we should find out what happened??? For all we know, he got rear-ended while sitting at a redlight. Even if he did wreck it during some spirited driving, he's not the 1st, won't be the last. Noone was hurt, and thats all that really matters. They made more than one Viper. He can buy another one.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
State Farm has always been good with any issues I have every had with them, which have been few and far between. Glad to see you were able to get things settled away to your satisfaction.

Hey we all have done some things where we get out of the vehicle and kiss the ground we walk on and say never again, thank God, etc.. It happens to the best of us! Be thankful you or nobody else was hurt, as that is all that matters. Vehicles can be replaced; people, flesh and blood can't.

I do have to say that I am very surprised at the the large number of accidents with the 08's and it can not be explained away as NOT just a bunch of inexperienced drivers. Since there are a number of changes in the 08s from new tranny, to new diff in the back, to new electronics and the drive by wire system. I am really starting to feel like there is something odd with the combination that is contribution to some of these incidents here.

I know from my wet road experience early this year in my 06' with the rear diff transferring power back and forth multiple times in a few seconds while spinning (I let it really spin just to see how it would react just to learn about the car), all while irt was getting more and more out of control with each switch side to side, all while I was driving perfectly straight line on an on-ramp. I would not give you two cents for the factory diff in my car and a quaffie will be my next upgrade for sure. I just believe a lot fo the problem lies with the rear diff.

I honestly believe with the power levels we have, that it needs to be a true posi type diff where it doesn't sense a damn thing but each side torques the same and spins the same. I know the road racers will get into the whole inside wheel spinning in the turns, etc. but I don't care.

I can't see an issue with the new tranny so it is probably a great upgrade for 08, but the drive by wire scares me and always has in every vehicle I own. I know in our Porsche Cayenne Turbos, there is a ton of lag (mainly from the Turbos, but I also believe from the drive by wire system). Instead of just having a seat of the pants feel that you can control, expect and repeat each time, you get an explosive push forward after a delay and it seemks very outn of control. It never seems to be the same response from time to time. It's like speed sensitive steering, where the tunring ratios are constantly changing, I really hate both features.

I know you may feel you have a bruised ego, but if you can let us know what the car did or reacted like, I believe it could help others. I mean if there is a problem but it doesn't get pieced together until 10 or so reports come in, it will never get fixed and what does it take a few more deaths before someone really looks into it, if there is a problem.

Anyway, glad you are okay. best medicine is to get back on the horse and ride though.

I think the 08s are one hell of a beast, but when it comes to electronics that really start to control the car in situations for you, or a rear diff that throws the car into a tailspin too easily if you loose focus for a second, I get very nervous. More power, more refined and more updated doesn't always mean it is safer. If it was, all race cars would have tons of nanny controls and very sophisticated electronics , etc. but they don't.