Lowering an 06??

softuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,
First post,please forgive if this has been asked many times before. I just got an 06 Coupe & was wondering what was involved in lowering it.
My previous ride was an 06 Z06,and it was as simple as turning some bolts,but I've been told with a Viper the springs have to be changed.
Any help would be much appreciated.:)

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Search and select SRT forum and you can read the various posts of peoples comments. Its alot easier that way. But briefly , you have a few options.

Switch out springs only to Eibachs , lowers I think about 1". About 300-400 for springs
Install lowering caps only, 1/2" drop about $200
Combine lowering springs and caps for a little bit lower stance, still no adjustabilty with these options.

Or get a coilover kit. The cheap ones tend to have problems and shocks blow out. Most just spend the money and get the Motons and then you have no problems. Can set ride height wherever you want, I lowered mine about 2". You can dial in rebound and compression dampening on shocks for a great ride.
Cost is about $ 4200 for coilover kit with shocks, springs, helper springs.

Labor depends on if you can do it yourself or go to a shop, usually about a half day job. Do a alignment after.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have KW Coilovers which are ride height adjustable and good for street use. They are a bit less than the Motons but if your going to the track, spend the extra money and get the Motons..........

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you are some road-course maniac that hits the track frequently, no need for the pricey coil-overs. I also had a C6, sure was nice to be able to lower the car for FREE. I put Eibach coils on my '06 coupe, it lowered the car about an inch and definitely makes a visual difference. Ride quality feels the same as stock, still bumpy compared to a Corvette.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
are there any cons going to lowering caps or eibach springs?
like, does it take away from the handling? how is the car over bumps?
does the car handle any better? (i know lower CG)

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As stated earlier, the ride quality with eibach springs only is similar to that of the stock set up. I actually feel that is a little better, but haven't had a chance to push them due to the cool weather. They are not bouncy at freeway speeds. If you have the money, go for the KW's or the Motons. Once I become a more experienced driver I too will make the investment. If your primary purpose of lowering the car is for looks, you will be happy with the eibachs.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you just want the look, go cheap and get springs. It will look very nice. If you want performance, handling, adjustability and all the above, get the motons. They were the best money spent on this car, next to a Paxton. You cant compare until you have actually spent time behind the wheel of a Viper on Motons.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, I think you meant to say "if you want better performance". It isn't like these Vipers are slouches in the handling department, even with factory springs. haha. We could probably remove the springs completely from the car and it would still handle better than most cars. Even with my lower priced Eibachs installed, it still handles better than any car I've owned.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike, I think you meant to say "if you want better performance". It isn't like these Vipers are slouches in the handling department, even with factory springs. haha. We could probably remove the springs completely from the car and it would still handle better than most cars. Even with my lower priced Eibachs installed, it still handles better than any car I've owned.

True, dont get me wrong, the car is great stock and your car looks great with the Eibachs.

I drove this thing hard and autcrossed it on stock runflats, stock suspension. It did very well. I actually got some trophies. Felt solid in the hills even on runflats, but I hated the freeway driving on runflats. Swithced to PS2's and everything was alot better. Still thought the car handled awesome. But once I drove ILLSMOQ's car I knew I wanted Motons. And with the addition of 19/20" wheel and less sidewall, this thing feels great.

I guess the best thing is you can really dial the motons in. If Im taking my fiance out for dinner, Ill set the compression soft for a cadillac ride, if Im playing in the hills or at the track I can adjust as needed. Alos, you can bascially put the cars ride height whereever you want it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32