Mechanical problems to worry about when owning a viper ...

VIPERMAN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys,
Pardon my ignorance ...
I know that stories about mechanical problems make it more often to the board than good stories.
I am reading every other day a thread about head gasket problems, engine cooling failure, overheating, oil leaks etc ...
What's in your opinion a good checklist of the most common problems that occur in vipers and that I should have my viper Tech check ahead of time to prevent future high bills ...
I am planning to have a full check up done on my car soon.

PS: I am particularly interested in Gen II, specifically 2000 RT/10

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a 2000, you shouldn't have to worry about head gaskets (Gen 1) or gaskets in general unless the car has set for a long time. Water pump failures causing overheating is a 2001 and perhaps 2002 issue.

Some of the very early 2000 cars had some issue with the cylinder liner which caused the rings to not seat properly and have excess oil consumption. Here is a link that discusses that problem:

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=118270&Forum=All_Forums&Words=ring%20seating%202000&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=118269&Search=true#Post118270

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not many problems with these cars i mean guys who run them REALLY hard many seldom see SOME but they are very well built

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with STUGOTS. I think most of the problems are caused by engine mods. Stock Vipers seldom have any problems.