Misc. Thanks, Questions, Comments on my new Viper

goldfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m told I'm a boring person and not much of a writer so bear with me, but I just have to share my joy!!!

After a several month search, I finally got my first Viper. It’s a 2001 red (no stripes) ACR. Automobile-wise (and in many other ways too), this car is the most fun that I’ve EVER had! I’ve owned 2 440-6bbl ‘cudas (70 and 71) that I totally loved. I grew up with these classic muscle cars and have enjoyed them to no end. But frankly I just got tired of always looking at the temperature gauge and going on medium to long cruises worrying about having problems.
This Viper is soooo sweet! I was pretty worried when I bought it because you never know what you are going to get with a used high-performance car. I posted a question about a month or so ago about a Viper tech in West Chicago, IL. I want to say thanks to those people here that recommended Ron Sr. from SVSi. He thoroughly inspected the car, gave it a clean bill of health and wasn’t even going to charge me for it. I couldn’t believe it! I ended up having him add a Corsa Cat back exhaust system and install a 1-inch seat lowering kit. The car is actually almost comfortable to drive. The only bad part is that I’ve been driving it so much that I’m starting to get used to the power and am almost craving more. Ugh! Part of the problem is the lack of air at this elevation really affects performance – it did in my ‘cudas anyway. But this thing still just screams - absolutely amazing!

I’ve noticed that people’s reactions (in conversations, seeing it on street, etc) seems to be divided into 3 categories. First off, there are the people who just love it and give you thumbs up and/or smile. The second category seems to be those that say “mid-life crisis / compensating for his tiny ‘thang / too much money” and the third category people just don’t even notice or care. My girlfriend says I fall into the second category, but she didn’t answer when I asked her what sub-category I fell into. Hmmmmm...

I have just a few questions…
1) Is it normal if the car hasn’t been started for 24 hours for there to be a very light ticking (sounds like lifters???) for a just a couple of seconds after motor starts. I’m envisioning oil having to be pumped up into the top of the motor and it ticking until it is lubricated???

2) This car came with an aftermarket shifter – no stock shifter to be found. I really love it, but just like the original exhaust (which Ron Sr. returned), I would like to keep all the stock parts. What is a fair price to pay for a stock shifter? Are they hard to find?

3) My floor mats are black with red Sneaky Petes on them with the red text “Viper” under the Sneaky Pete. I’m assuming these aren’t original???

4) On the back mat (that covers the “trunk”), there is also a red Sneaky Pete. Is this original?

5) The cd player/radio look exactly like the picture in my owner’s manual with the exception that the one in my car does not say “Alpine”. Were they Alpine from the factory?

I did discover one very interesting thing in this car. Tucked way back in the ashtray was a smashed marijuana bud! (it’s been 20 years and I can still recognize it :) ) This car came to Fox Valley Motorcars (that’s where I bought it – also a great group of people) fully detailed and they just stuck in on their showroom floor so I can see why they missed it, and I’d bet my Viper that it wasn't Ron Sr.'s!! I’m just chalking it up to another great mystery in this car’s past. Oh well!

Thanks for your help,
Mike

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You don't seem like a boring person to me, especially now since you have the most awesome car on the planet. glad to have you aboard and have you joined the VCA yet? How many miles on the car? It's Ok for some valve noise at start-up, the Alpine is factory, a stock shifter is cheap(I gave one away out of another car I had), if you go back to original mats be shure to get the right ones for your model(I'm not shure if your model has a trunk release one the floor or not). Hope you enjoy the car and take it easy on a chilly day until the tires warm up(might get away from you). :2tu:

OP
OP
G

goldfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Tom. I actually finally just completed the VCA application (after you lit the fire under me) and it will be out in tomorrow's mail.
The car has 6500 miles on it and most of those miles are split between two previous owners. That part made me kind of nervous, but Ron said that it looks like the car hasn't ever been abused and never has seen nitrous, etc.
Anyway, mine does have a trunk release on floor.
Mike