Motor Authority: 2013 SRT Viper: Majority Of Orders Are For Ferrari-Influenced GTS

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As we found in our first drive of the 2013 Viper, SRT has managed to get rid of most of this sports-car icon's ragged edges in its second generation—without completely taming the beast. And the interior? Forget the old cockpit; now the Viper's cabin appointments alone are ****—Italian-supercar ****, really.

Credit Ferrari, and parent company Fiat.

Wow......

Why can't someone give SRT credit? I know SRT went to Italy to learn from Ferrari, but if you remember the biggest reason for learning from Ferrari was to learn how to turn a profit on a low volume vehicle. Seriously though, every time an American vehicle does something spectacular, no publication will endorse it as a great vehicle. All this "hoop-la" over paddle shifters, McLaren's, Ferrari's, and high end electronic driving aids and yet the 5 fastest vehicles around Laguna Seca are true manual shift, rear wheel drive, american made vehicles. Not to mention all the other lap times at tracks around the world. Sorry, just annoyed.....I know a Viper will never have the same appeal as a Ferrari and that's fine. I don't want it to. I want it to have the same appeal it has had on me since I was 10 years old and the Gen II GTS came out.

Rant over.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...rity-of-orders-are-for-ferrari-influenced-gts

That is the link to the article if you care. It is positive, but still not aimed appropriately in my opinion.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Motor Authority: 2013 SRT Viper: Majority Of Orders Are For Ferrari-Influenced GT

Well I'm a Euro Car cross over guy and here's my take. SRT was true to the original ******** guys by offerring the SRT base vehicle and now by building the TA variant; I'm sure the ACR successor is in the pipeline. But the GTS is also offerred to guys like me who want ******** performance but with a touch of elegance. Sounds like they really tried to please everyone with the introduction of two different models.

Ferrari seats and Italian inspired design/interior aren't a bad thing if you're building a world class GT car. I'm the hamster in the experiment. I'm that Lamborghini guy going FROM a Gallardo Spyder TO a gen V GTS...and I'm not looking back.

Raisin Man

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Motor Authority: 2013 SRT Viper: Majority Of Orders Are For Ferrari-Influenced GT

Good points. Of course, no mention whatsoever of the exorbitant maintenance procedures and costs associated with Ferrari ownership. Exclusive? Yes. Value proposition and performance? Not so much.

canadian venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fooling around with the rich and pretty Italian cousin can be fun and educative as long as long as she keep paying the bills :rolaugh:

jennq

Viper Owner
Reaction score

We are also coming over from Ferrari - although still keeping it. I just can't see driving the Viper in Austin's traffic daily, plus still have the kids to haul around. And it was the 'luxury interior' that convinced us as much as our love for Vipers and hp.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Where do they hire these guys? He calls it a "second generation" Viper, then spews whatever BS he can make up in 15 minutes. Automotive journalism seems to be dominated by those who do no research and clearly must have no passion for automobiles. Must be just a job for them. Is there a quality automotive journalist out there??? Motor Trend has some arrogant pricks, but at least they make it entertaining by fanning the flames between rival car manufacturers. But Motor Authority and most others aren't worth reading.

On a lighter note, yes it is nice to be related to gorgeous Italian cousins! Even if some don't understand that our beauty comes from our own American genes, no blood relation to the Italian supermodel, LOL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Where do they hire these guys? He calls it a "second generation" Viper, then spews whatever BS he can make up in 15 minutes. Automotive journalism seems to be dominated by those who do no research and clearly must have no passion for automobiles. Must be just a job for them. Is there a quality automotive journalist out there??? Motor Trend has some arrogant pricks, but at least they make it entertaining by fanning the flames between rival car manufacturers. But Motor Authority and most others aren't worth reading.

On a lighter note, yes it is nice to be related to gorgeous Italian cousins! Even if some don't understand that our beauty comes from our own American genes, no blood relation to the Italian supermodel, LOL.

Have you ever watched a motor authority video review? It is as if each person reviewing a vehicle idolizes Ben Stein.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have you ever watched a motor authority video review? It is as if each person reviewing a vehicle idolizes Ben Stein.

That made me laugh. Very true. Bland, boring, monotone and almost emotionless. Way to get me to want to watch more Motor Authority car vids:rolleyes:

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We are also coming over from Ferrari - although still keeping it. I just can't see driving the Viper in Austin's traffic daily, plus still have the kids to haul around. And it was the 'luxury interior' that convinced us as much as our love for Vipers and hp.

Jenn are u getting a LE? What kind of F car do u guys have?

The FF would fit the kids;)

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We don't need it to have the same appeal as a Ferrari, or the same Aura. We just need it to mash the Ferrari's into the ground on the track at 1/3 of the price. Ferrar's have been seeing nothing but taillights from the Corvette's and Vipers for almost a decade now. In spite having many times the budget to produce the cars. Ours boys are truly representing right now.

Our boys have traveled across the pond on shoestring budgets and beaten all of the Europeans and Japanese on their home turf with as little as 4 laps (1st Z06) 3-4 laps (first ACR) and a day or two (ZR1 and 2nd ACR) while the other manufacturers build plants over there and test non-stop. It's a shame our media continues not to give them the respect they deserve but if you look at some of the forums, many American themselves have bought into this negative perception of American cars. I admit I have done so myself for a time, but no more. They certainly don't get the credit they deserve.

But that's ok as long as they continue to beat the Euro's up side the head on the track and in pro racing.

jennq

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Jenn are u getting a LE? What kind of F car do u guys have?

The FF would fit the kids;)

Yes, getting an LE. I have the California, in Tour de France blue. They'll go well together!

And yes, the FF could fit the kids, but we'd have to look at it! ;)

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We don't need it to have the same appeal as a Ferrari, or the same Aura. We just need it to mash the Ferrari's into the ground on the track at 1/3 of the price. Ferrar's have been seeing nothing but taillights from the Corvette's and Vipers for almost a decade now. In spite having many times the budget to produce the cars. Ours boys are truly representing right now.

Our boys have traveled across the pond on shoestring budgets and beaten all of the Europeans and Japanese on their home turf with as little as 4 laps (1st Z06) 3-4 laps (first ACR) and a day or two (ZR1 and 2nd ACR) while the other manufacturers build plants over there and test non-stop. It's a shame our media continues not to give them the respect they deserve but if you look at some of the forums, many American themselves have bought into this negative perception of American cars. I admit I have done so myself for a time, but no more. They certainly don't get the credit they deserve.

But that's ok as long as they continue to beat the Euro's up side the head on the track and in pro racing.

THIS. Case closed.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with this sentiment but what were you driving - incredibly well and insanely fast - at Road Atlanta? I have to say most of the American boys driving American toys just saw your tailights in the distance. And you say you left time on the table? Fast cars are fast cars and that's what we all like. Most folks who track their Vipers won't be in for the luxury, they'll be in for the fun but that doesn't diminish the fact that some folks buy the car for image and want it to have the same features as other supercars have. JMHO.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with this sentiment but what were you driving - incredibly well and insanely fast - at Road Atlanta? I have to say most of the American boys driving American toys just saw your tailights in the distance. And you say you left time on the table? Fast cars are fast cars and that's what we all like. Most folks who track their Vipers won't be in for the luxury, they'll be in for the fun but that doesn't diminish the fact that some folks buy the car for image and want it to have the same features as other supercars have. JMHO.

I drive a Porsche and love my car, not married to any brand though and do not at all like the direction Porsche is heading. Im done with them until they start making cars for guys passionate about motorsport again. My next car of this sort will be made in America. I would like to think it has more to do with the driver and track familiarity than the car itself. All of the guys in my class were first timers and I have 8 years and hundreds of laps while living only 10 minutes away. Tall task to beat me on my home turf as im sure it will be for me to beat them.

Im getting very close to the ceiling of how fast this car will go though. Wait until you see what I do when I decide on a vette/viper. And im talking stock with tires.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Believe me when I say, we watched in awe as you went around the track. I don't care how many laps you have - that is damn fast. I am sure you can drive a Prius faster around that track than I can. But we all like fast cars - no matter what they are! Good luck in the future!

I drive a Porsche and love my car, not married to any brand though and do not at all like the direction Porsche is heading. Im done with them until they start making cars for guys passionate about motorsport again. My next car of this sort will be made in America. I would like to think it has more to do with the driver and track familiarity than the car itself. All of the guys in my class were first timers and I have 8 years and hundreds of laps while living only 10 minutes away. Tall task to beat me on my home turf as im sure it will be for me to beat them.

Im getting very close to the ceiling of how fast this car will go though. Wait until you see what I do when I decide on a vette/viper. And im talking stock with tires.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth