My new 97 GTS and the first changes

MalingatorGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
New from CT...Well now that I've had the car for oh, about 3 weeks...time to start making it my own. As the motor, trans, interior are very much done, I started with some
cosmetics. This car was built by JackB and is a BEAST!

The CCW wheels were in pretty rough shape around the edges. Now I know I could get them re-polished and look new but, I'm not a shiny wheel guy so...
Plasti Dip to the rescue! Anthracite metallic with multiple coats of gloss. The pics do not do it justice as to the final almost wet shine. I'm shocked it was Dip!

You must be registered for see images attach

Not bad from a few feet away.

This was the average look up close

Before the "glossifyer"

You must be registered for see images

After gloss

I'm planning on tinting the windows come spring so will help pull the dark from the wheels up to the rest of the car.

My hope to be weekend project and next update!
You must be registered for see images

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You bought it from KDR? i have seen it for sale, looks like a ton of work had been done to it. Congrats and respect it

SRToad4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks awesome! I actually messaged this guy on Ebay when he was selling it to ask him about the wheel/tire setup. I thought they were 17's all around but he told me 18/17 front/rear setup.

Definitely need to drop that thing down and eliminate that crazy rear wheel gap.

OP
OP
M

MalingatorGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks awesome! I actually messaged this guy on Ebay when he was selling it to ask him about the wheel/tire setup. I thought they were 17's all around but he told me 18/17 front/rear setup.

Definitely need to drop that thing down and eliminate that crazy rear wheel gap.

I know is a strange setup...I was told it will help with over steer...

I'm hoping to get a set of aftermarkets or maybe some Sidewinder IIs in hyper black.

SRToad4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Typically drag guys do 18/17 setups, with a really big tire in the back. That's what Chase (orange wrapped SRT10 / nitrous) is running on his.

OP
OP
M

MalingatorGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Typically drag guys do 18/17 setups, with a really big tire in the back. That's what Chase (orange wrapped SRT10 / nitrous) is running on his.

Yea..this was run at the 1/4 quite a bit...was a 10.8 car with a pretty high DA.

Right now I'm keeping it on the street for now (except it's now winter). I may bring it to Lime Rock in the future but by then I hope to have a set of wheels and tires. For the immediate future it's just learning the platform and the car to know where and how to drive it well and enjoy it!

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As soon as I read "Plasti-dip" I was like "oh man this is gonna look like ass".. But holy hell they look good!!! You did it yourself? Very nice job!!! Looks like a high dollar powdercoat job.

OP
OP
M

MalingatorGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As soon as I read "Plasti-dip" I was like "oh man this is gonna look like ass".. But holy hell they look good!!! You did it yourself? Very nice job!!! Looks like a high dollar powdercoat job.
Thanks! Yes I did a LOT of research on how to do the wheels right so it didn't look like a 19 year old with a Civic did them lol!
It actually wasn't difficult if you follow the directions and suggestions made by the website.

I've modified lots of cars over the years and always try and do 99% of it myself or with friends who have shops/skills to help. I've learned a lot about body work, paint and full custom one off builds from close friends and some family.

I swore I would not degrade the car if the dip looked like ass and would instantly take it off! Unless I told you, I'm 99% sure you would not know the wheels were dip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21