My son wants to drive the Viper to the Prom

RSenn94RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a tough decision to make this week. My son wants to drive his date to the prom this Friday night in my Viper. He has driven it several times, so he is comforatble driving it, but I haven't let him take it out without me in it yet. My other concern is the fact that I remember what I was like at 17.

Has anyone else faced this decision or does anyone have any advice?

Rich01RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with 'eldiablo' (though I believe it means 'The Devil':!!
You must be registered for see images
. It's really a matter of the relationship you have with your son and the judgement in other areas he's shown in the last couple of years. One concern would be where is he going to park it when he goes to the prom. Could he drive to the prom and "make the scene" then bring it back and go in the limo?

Dave Golder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My son took mine the last two years without a hitch. He also took my M5 to a few other big dances. I guess it is all a matter of your son and how responsible he is.

Dave

STOUT 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trusting your son is a call only you can make. If I were in your shoes, my biggest concern would be the other kids. All it takes is someone with a some animosity or a little jealousy to ruin your sons (and his dates) night.

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As most of you know, I'm 15 years old, (16 years old on the 7th!!) and will soon be experiencing "Prom Night". Now, I love Vipers more than anything, and recognize the hard work and dedication that goes into these cars. I, (and when I say this, remember that I am not yet educated on the ways of the world) would give anything to drive a Viper to prom. The thrill in pulling up, revving it hard, and making a scene would be SO UNBELIEVABLY COOL, it would almost be overpowering. I am a safe, assertive driver, (I get my license in July), so I personally wouldn't do anything stupid. All I'm saying is, try to look at it from his point of view. He would be THE MAN at his school forever. But if you don't feel comfortable lending out your baby, don't. It will probably be a very stressful night if you let him go, and don't feel right about it. And about the post of the kid driver from IEATVETTS, I totally agree. It really burns me up inside to see a kid who has a Viper, and doesn't even appreciate it. Here is my dream car, and has been since 1994, and here is some stupid, "oh, what's horsepower, uh, it's just a car" freakin' kid who doesn't even care. That is the ULTIMATE INJUSTICE. Sorry, but it really makes me mad. Anyway, good luck on your decision, just remember, look at it from his point of view!!

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heck, wouldn't even bother to ask. Lots of crazy people out there. But, I'd let him make his entrance and exit, then I'd do like Clint Sever said, pick up the car for the after parties. That is where the kids will get crazy and jealous. I would hate to see anything happen to your car, and I'm sure your son does too, but many weirdoes out there. Your call. I would pick it up after the dance. Good Luck.

v10venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my friends story:
My father let me bring his '68 "SS" 396 camaro to my senior prom. The car is red, and in near mint condition. It goes real fast. My Dad was hesitant at first, but I kept working him over, and he eventually said yes. He gave me some good advice right before I left, "That car looks just as impressive just crusing as it does burning tires." I took the advice to heart and never went fast, or ripped though the gears. The advice worked too. My date realized that I was mature enough to control the big machine, and gained a lot of trust in me. That was a truly great night, and I know that it would not have been the same in my giant 74 caprice. My advice to you is to let your son drive it. I assume that the Viper is much safer than the camaro, and its archaic suspension. Make sure he truly appriciates it before you pass the keys though.

This is the car I got to ride in.

Reaction score
Clint-

I will let you drive my Viper when you turn 16 if you'd like. Not sure where you are from in Arizona, but I get over to Scottsdale quite a bit.

Anyway, just an idea.

Rollo

Reaction score
My $.02 is pretty conservative. A friend of mine wanted to borrow one of my Vipers and I said no! He is mid 40's and driven BMW's and cars with less performance. I said no because I did not want him to kill himself or someone else. Has your son been to a High Performance driving school? Driven at an autocross? It only takes one second to add a little excessive throttle at the wrong moment and say good bye. I have a much younger son an he will be driving Karts as soon as he is old enough. Then Skip Barber performance driving and racing program when he is old enough. When old enough he will drive at autocross events. But Prom night for his first Viper experience by himself. Sorry I would have to pass because I love him to much to risk his life. I would not worry about malicious damage, paint can be repaired worst case the car can be replaced but your son can not be replaced!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The question you should be asking yourself right now is,"If you had the chance to drive the worlds meanest car to the prom when you were young, but had to take something else and then come home to your dads Viper sitting in the garage, how would you feel???!!"
This will be the most memorable night in you sons young life! I would suggest letting him take it, but that you should pick it up after dinner when he gets to prom. That way he gets to take it to dinner and show it off at the prom! We all know he doesn't need it after that!!
Can you imagine how your son will feel on that night, with that car? I think you will be a little nervous, but your happiness and excitement for your son would overcome that.
Best of luck! And tell your son I said "Have a great night!!"

BJ MOTORS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My advise would be for you to rent one for the night. This way if something happens to the car it is covered by the renters liablity and not yours. It might be a little costly but this is your son we are talking about. This resolves the issue of having to worry about the damage to your car if any. But my main concern would be his safety in general. These cars contain a hell of a lot of torque. When I was his age we had cars that we had modified and Prom night was the night to show off to our friends what these babies could do. Good luck making the call. Let us know what you decided.

Reaction score
why not. if your son i responsible then let him.

Believe it or not everyone at a prom doesnt get wasted and puke everywhere. Might be a hard to grasp.

Let him take it

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dad let me borrow his Buick Roadmaster (with the LT1) once to give my girlfriend a ride when I was 19.

It had a little too much power for me and a wet road/balding tire combo hurt me. I whacked a tree with it, even though I've only been in 2 accidents total in almost 10 year of driving.

It doesn't matter how safe or good the driver is, if you're not used to the power it'll get you in trouble. Especially on something like prom night.

Go halves with him on a rental. That will make him appreciate it because he had to earn it, and protects your car at the same time.

-Brett

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My son is going to the prom. He will be 18 in May. He hasn't asked to use the car. He has driven it with me. Not sure he cares about taking it. If he wanted to-here's what I would do. We live in a rural area. The school is about a mile away. I would let him drive it to the school with his date, do the picture thing, and then I would take the car home with me.

This whole thing about "I was responsible at 16" "My dad gave me his Vette" "I can out drive you on the track any day" entirely misses the point. 99.9% of all 15-21 year olds who 'really' want to drive a fast car are going to do something stupid which could kill or maim them. Once they're on their own,(as in--buy your own car, and living in their own place) your immediate responsibility, as a parent, is diminished. You become an advisor at that point. Buying or giving a Viper to a 16 yr. old is totally irresponsible. Even if my son had enough of his own money to buy a Viper, He would not be allowed to while he lived with me.

Steve

BTW--I had several friends from the 60's who were allowed to get a muscle car at 16 or 17. Notice the word had--they're dead. Never made the 70's. In fairness, many are still around, but why take the chance. Insurance stats more than bear this out.

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish my Dad would have owned a Viper when I was going to the prom

OP
OP
R

RSenn94RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the feedback and advice.

First of all, that wasn't my son that posted the reply.

As far as what I plan to do now, I probably will let him drive it. I like the idea of letting him drive it to dinner and then to the dance and then I could pick it up at the dance and leave him his own car to drive after the dance. I do trust him and he has always been a careful driver.

I do believe it would be an awesome feeling to pull up at the prom driving the Viper. I don't think that would be a memory you would ever forget. I sure wish I would have had a Viper available for my prom. In fact, it felt pretty good last October when I pulled up at my High Scool reunion in the Viper.

So I probably will take the risk and hopefully one day he will look back and remember the night he took his date to the dance in a Viper.

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you've made the right choice!!!
Tell your son to have fun for me!!

RonC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RSenn94RT10,

Personally I think the Viper is a too much for a 16 /17 year-old but then again, only you know what the right answer is. If he does take it out I hope he acts responsibly (Like you and I do
) I do agree (even in my old age) that showing up at the prom with a Viper would be a teen-ager's dream.

I had to laugh when you mentioned your reunion, I have been scheming on how to take mine to my 20th back to Washington state from AZ (i.e trailer it....). I don't want show off... Ha! What the heck, yes I do! Even after 20 years hmm...

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If eldiablo is really RSenn's son lying here on the board to try to convince his dad... Well that is all I would need to know about his character... Don't do it!

I do like the rental idea though... Seems like a good compromise.

Dion Fisher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was 17 once and definetly should/could not have been trusted with such a car.. There would be wide black marks everywhere not to mention blinding speeds down country roads going to and fro..Yikes!! that's right I owned a Roadrunner back then=he-he;-)

Reaction score
After reading the post I recalled my prom memories. One of our class mates had a 62 409 Impala rag top which he rolled prom night. He did not live. This was a pretty small school in West Virginia, 225 graduating class minus one. Prom night was a dangerous night and kids were killed every few years.

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive my viper daily and I am only 18. I am planning to take the viper to my prom and my friend his taking a 67 T Bird. It all depends on if you trust him!!!! How does he act around others or when he is not with you? It all depends on the trust you and your son have. I would say yes lte him drive it, but. . .

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I like the idea of allowing him to make his entrance, drive to the prom, and then swap out cars for the drive home. I think this plan, along with some firm rules about cruising the car in for show and not showing off, would be enough for this sort of occasion. Just make it clear that abusing the car will mean he's never trusted in it again, ever.

Finally, there is one benefit to you in having him take the Viper instead of a limo to the prom: The Viper is much, much too small to get any action in, no matter how limber you are. (Not that I'd know, or anything, despite the rumors <g> ). Anyway, the car is insured, Prom only comes once in a lifetime, (I still remember every minute of mine), and if your son is trustworthy, then trust him.

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of my accidents happened between 16 and 18, but what are the chances?

-Brett

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you are making the right decision! I am looking forward to handing over the keys to my son when he is 18 for his senior prom! (He's currently inside Mommy and won't be able to see a Viper for 4 months yet, but I know he is excited about it!! ha!)
I know you will be proud to let him drive it, and it is obvious you trust him, or you wouldn't even consider it! Best of luck! And enjoy the happiness on your sons face!!