Need a tow truck for my viper: Dodge ram diesel or the ford superduty??

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Need a tow truck for my viper: Dodge ram diesel or the ford superduty

I get into a Dodge or a Ford after being in a GMC, and I just wonder how in the hell they sell them! GM's new seats are super comfortable, and like someone mentioned above, the ammenities are awesome! Onstar, XM, etc., etc.........

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a chevy duramax and I love it except the gas mileage when towing a heavy load. 10mpg with an enclosed 10k lb load at around 85mph. Power with the edge chip is simply incredible.

The newer dodge trucks get great mileage when towing and their engine seem to be bullet proof. The interior lacks and the 4 speed automatic trans is not the best but the standard is quite good.

The newer Ford 6.0 diesel on the other hand is a ticking time bomb, as was mentioned earlier. The ford has more room inside but is not worth the risk. The older fords 7.3 diesel is a great motor but lacks in power compared to the newer diesels but it is very reliable and they tow very well. These also do not get very good gas mileage when towing a heavy enclosed trailer 10mpg.

Overall, if I had to pick between all the trucks I would still pick the chevy but if dodge would get a good auto trans and spice up inside then I would consider it. I also like the gas mileage of the dodge when towing. The ford is not even an option until they get the new diesel engine figured out.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It all depend on what you want to spend, at the time I bought my f 250 V10 I paid 25800, the 7.3 was was 7k more, the hemi ram was a little cheeper(Ringold dodge price) but the ford had the torque, & the anemities with the ford were just much nicer for the price.The GM products were close in sticker price, but in actual price paid on the mopar & ford were so much better than the GM's.
I tow a 24ft enclosed trailer loaded with a complete workshop, the car, Pit bike & at least 4 sets of rims & tires. I used an f 150 lightning for years with zero problems, so when it was time to step up to a HD, I was really looking for a used truck.
The price of the ford & dodge were right there & I couldnt refuse. For my 25k I got a SD F250 super cab, V10, cloth captians chairs,6 disck in dash, Sport package( black out windows, alloys, running boards, exhaust,monochrome paint) 410 posi, camper package(F 350 springs & sway bars)

It tows like a dream & the milage sux but I tow fast.

James Bell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dodge has an optional 5 speed automatic transmission that used Mercedes technology in the design. This is their new transmission and just became available. I went with the 6 speed manual. With the manual you can start in second, shift to forth then to six, because of the low end power. Has anyone seen the interior of a Laramie packaged truck? It has two toned leather with brushed aluminom trim (black and silver). Do not compare a base model Dodge to a fully optioned GM.

DR VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Dodge has the best looking truck in my opinion...with the nicest interior appointments
I have an open trailer and use a Chevy Avalanche to pull all my cars when I attend events etc.Never had a problem!

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We have tens of thousands of miles towing about 16K pounds with our Cummins Rams. We've towed with a Duramax and driven around in it - it just doesn't have the grunt. the Allison is nice, but NOWHERE NEAR the stopping power and security of the Cummins / 6 spd / exhaust brake.

Our 2003 is a great truck to drive - loaded and not loaded. We like the Quad Cab - we didn't need the HUGE backseat, and the quadcab is easier to manuever (and it fits in the garage).

Fords have been having new diesel engine issues. I couldn't see buying one until they are straightened out. Oh - and what does it tell you when the Cummins is available in HEAVIER DUTY trucks from Ford???? (Just as Bruce pointed out...)

Insterior noise on new Rams is close to the Duramax, but the low end torque is a cut above - and ours is the 2003 version - not the Cummins 600 that is shipping now.

Check out www.turbodieselregister.com

Jay Lopez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you really want to go crazy, get something like a Freightliner SportChassis. It has a CAT engine. I've seen some used ones in the $50k range. I drove one and was shocked at how tight it could turn. It turns better than my Excursion. If I remember correctly, they are rated to pull up to 28,000 lbs.

http://www.sportchassis.com/

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Remember that the chev and ford are a light duty engine.The Dodge Cummins is a med duty engine begging to be tuned up to medium power and torque.The Dodge is usually slower at take off but it will out pull the others up hill.Any 1 ton diesel is a monster.Check out the dodge,ford and chev truck forums for real insight.BTW ford uses the cummins in its higher load truck series. Bruce

Actually, the PowerStroke Diesel 6.0 is based on International's VT365 6.0 liter engine, which was designed solely for their medium duty truck series. So the PSD 6.0 is derived from a medium duty engine, and is actually tuned to produce more power, (but less torque) than the commercial VT365. They figure that someone who uses an engine in a commercial application will want the longest life out of an engine, so the company lowers the power output and decreases it's maximum RPM. It looks like International has been having (lots of) issues with the "street" tuning of these PSD 6.0 engines.

Ford does offer a Cummins engine as an option in their F650/F750 trucks, but they also offer a Caterpillar engine too (outside of John Deere and Detroit Diesel, there are really no other major American diesel engine makers). They do this to allow for more choices and combinations when spec'ing a tractor, since they must get the whole package suited for the load application. They have to match the engine's torque curves and power band to the numerous available transmissions and axle ratios. These F650/750 trucks are a step below a heavy duty bobtail semi tractor, and they allow for more choices in the powertrain, just like in the big trucks (the F750 has a 60,000 pound GVWR). Since Ford has a contract with International, it makes sense that the majority of the diesel trucks they sell (the F250/350) will come equipped with International Power Strokes. International's commercial engines can hold their own against the Cummins engines.

Of the engines mentioned, the best one is the Caterpillar. Just ask anyone who's in marine freight, heavy railroad, construction, heavy industry or in the long haul trucking business. They cost more, but in the long run, you'll get the most return for your investment dollar with a Cat.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Ford 6.0 had a PCM issue when they were first introduced in 2003, they would have a very rough idle. They have resolved that issue.The 6.0 diesel had a Allison type automatic transmission that is a awesome transmission for all the torque they make. I was so impressed I bought another for my business an 2004 6.0 diesel with an automatic runs perfect. :2tu:

Cudaman :usa: