Need help - GTS window/robbery

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 97 GTS. After a close inspection at home, I found what I thought to be a minor problem. Minor - No Way, common yes. What is more interesting, the dealer tells me this is a very common problem, however, a problem I have not seen addressed in this forum.

There is weatherstrip on the outside/rear section of the side windows. That seal basically keeps out water. The strip is glued on to a piece of plastic that extends down into the door. If the strip is missing any water falling off the roof will drain into the door and out the weep holes IN the bottom. The drivers side strip was totally gone and the passenger side was loose and ready to fall off. I reglued the existing strip and went to order a replacement for the drivers side.

When I went to replace the weather strip I found out that the weatherstrip is only available within an "Improvement Package". That package consists of the weatherstrip, the crown molding and the WINDOW??. The material cost of the package is approximately $725. The dealer I talked to had recently installed two sets and charged the customer $2,100.

Prior in time the part # was OME75MX3AC. When you now put that # into the Dodge parts computer, three new numbers pop up with the following narrative:

"must replace outer, inner stanchions and glass for fit finish and function"

The new numbers are

OME69JX8AB (COVER)
OME75MX3AD (COVER)
04736269AB (GLASS)

Can anyone confirm this and has anyone done something different
to replace this weather strip.

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is everyone so quiet on this known problem. People are emailing me ,however, no one is offering a fix or even acknowledging the problem via this forum. I don't know the exact years where this defect appears, but, I'm sure the 96, 97 and early 98 are subject to this problem.

Take a close look at that rear weather strip, if it is loose and you lose it, it is going to cost about $1,000 per side to fix. Any other car it would be a $5.00 part. There has to be another model that uses this strip. If that is the case, the right adhesive would save any Viper owner a $1,000.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, it started happening on the drivers side of our 96 GTS, just re-glued it and hasn't been a problem yet. Did look rather cheap to me and didn't quite glue back on that great.

Thanks for the research on this.

Craig

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Common problem, my '96 and every '96 I have seen does it.

As a result, I roll up the windows ONLY WHEN DRIVING. Any time the car is parked, I crack them 1/4" so as not to stress the weatherstrip in order to maintain a good seal when driving.

I fought the dealer on mine and had the expensive repair done under warranty, and cracked the windows afterward. My 2001 seems better made.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked into replacing some weather strip on the removable top panel on my 96 Corvette and I foud that it was a $380 part. Just the rubber, no window or anything else. That was an aftermarket price too.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Is it possible to chamfer the window preemptively?</FONT f>

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62