Need some help with this small leak please

Steve737

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Starting a project to change my exhaust and my motor mounts and noticed this but only as I was jacking the car.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
S

Steve737

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It did not look like trans fluid. To me it looked like dirty oil. but with a thin consistency. I have never noticed any fluid on the ground before.... Thank for the help.

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm interested to know if you need to change it. You have an extra set of hands to help out. I can confirm that is NOT a location I've gotten fluid from on mine...yet

OP
OP
S

Steve737

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just did a search and it seems like I may have to. I drove it today and I was thinking that the clutch felt soft. I thought it was just me. You want to help mike?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It did not look like trans fluid. To me it looked like dirty oil. but with a thin consistency. I have never noticed any fluid on the ground before.... Thank for the help.

What's it taste like ?

(no, don't.....just kidding. Dave's nailed it. Unless you have a cat with a bladder infection living in the garage?)

OP
OP
S

Steve737

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No I haven't but I'm going to. What part of Cleveland are ya from? I grew up in Concord/Mentor area.

OP
OP
S

Steve737

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys when I was jacking it up I had the car at a pretty steep angle sideways could that have something to do with it? A vent or something?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pulling the tranny is not too bad. You really don't even have to remove the tranny from the tunnel, just slide it back.

I've done it twice and will again when I put my Fidanza and shifter in.

PM me if you want to chat on the phone some time about this. There are some sockets and extensions that are handy, as well as some other items that may not be apparent. If you can get the car 10" off the ground, you can do it. I used ramps and jack stands no problemo.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pulling the tranny is not too bad. You really don't even have to remove the tranny from the tunnel, just slide it back.

I've done it twice and will again when I put my Fidanza and shifter in.

Dave, what I've read is to pull the transmission from the bell housing first, and then the bell housing? Is that the process you have found works for you?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, what I've read is to pull the transmission from the bell housing first, and then the bell housing? Is that the process you have found works for you?

Yup, slide the tranny back clear of the input shaft, and then you can get at the bellhousing. Amongst some other things purchased for that job, a tranny jack from Harbor Freight was sweet. I had to cut the ratchet straps mounts from it and replace the casters with something worthy of rolling, but $60 + $40 more for casters and some touch-up paint and it is a nice piece.

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

Get the list of sockets and extensions from Dave and I'll bring what you don't have. I'm ready to help once you are ready. I'm sure the two of us can make a real mess of the job:D

:2tu:

OP
OP
S

Steve737

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm going to take you up on that thanks. I need to learn how to do this. I don't think this will be the last time. Thanks for the motivation. Do you think I can change all the guts as well? ( clutch, slave, bearings, ....

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to take you up on that thanks. I need to learn how to do this. I don't think this will be the last time. Thanks for the motivation. Do you think I can change all the guts as well? ( clutch, slave, bearings, ....

Your #1 friend in all the work you mentioned above is not your tools (although they are a strong 2nd...) but patience.

I've done mine by myself twice now, the first time for the slave, and the second a few months later to replace the clutch I should have replaced while I had the tranny out for the slave (LOL).

Did it a few hours an evening for 3 nights each time.

My car is not a DD if I don't want it to be (I have 3 vehicles), I had no deadlines to make, no upcoming track events or anything else to alter my pace. If you need to stop due to confusion or parts or tools or whatever then stop and address that concern before proceeding.

Here's an off the top of my head list of key tools and stuff you'll need:

-> Tranny jack. As mentioned above I did the cheapo from Harbor Freight and slightly modified it.

-> Clutch kit. eBay kits for $190 have the wrong pilot bearing and alignment tool. Buy a dealer pilot bearing for $15 if you're going to replace it (I will next time) and I got a nice steel universal alignment tool from KD Tools for about $20.

-> U-joing strap and screw kit for driveshaft. Cheap dealer item, do not skip that step of replacing them.

-> Quality 8mm (or 5/16) socket for u-joint strap screws. They are loctited in, and I've broke good sockets before on them.

-> Long 30 - 36 inch 1/2" dr extension for upper tranny to bell housing screws. I bought a 20" wobble extension and use a 10" std. extension with it. A good quality 15mm socket for those screws too.

-> Once the tranny is out the bell housing comes off and some of the those screws were tricky on the passenger side. I found that metric flex sockets - the kind with the joint built in - were handy. I think they are 14 & 16mm but WTH, get the Craftsman set that has them all.

-> Various torque wrenches (probably need at least one 20 - 150 #). I have 4 going from 10 in. lbs. to 250 ft. lbs. but I like spending on tools.

-> DA sander with 400 grit PSA disk for flywheel cleaning.

-> Bottle jacks, blocks of wood, degreaser and so on.

-> Patience.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Here's the special wrench I made to git the shifter shaft off the shifter. Next time I go in from the top after pulling the center console. I've already drilled the boot rivets and installed rivet-nuts there so I'm good to go.

You must be registered for see images

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Dave does your tranny jack look something like this......................I too bought one of those jacks and cut the wheels off. I made a full size base so it can roll under my lift. The crappy wide ratchet strap had to be cut off and I welded a smaller nicer ratchet strap in it's place. I believe there was a tunnel interference issue. I also made a nice padded removable crossmember that supports the back of the block, this alows trans removal without stress to the motor mounts. It's the red oxide colored bar between the motor and the trans. By the way, were did you get your nut-sert tool, McMaster? I need one of those!

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like it, but I didn't replace or re-engineer the strap. I figure rolling straight back in the tunnel, no need for containment. If I'm gonna drop the tranny their POS tilt mechanism wouldn't handle the angle anyway!

$60 worth of jack (including replaced casters) + $40 worth of replacement casters. Thank you China, but work on your casters LOL!

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Here's the special wrench I made to git the shifter shaft off the shifter. Next time I go in from the top after pulling the center console. I've already drilled the boot rivets and installed rivet-nuts there so I'm good to go.

That's awesome! I just used a crow's foot wrench to get it off, but if it had been much tighter I would have had to make something like that.

SHELBYVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No I haven't but I'm going to. What part of Cleveland are ya from? I grew up in Concord/Mentor area.

I am located in Columbia Station which is about 30 miles south of Mentor. Unless you miss the snow your not missing much. The Mentor area has been getting hit hard the past couple of days with lake effect.:usa:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala