Need stereo help!!

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've searched forever, and found the part that I need, but don't know how to install it.
:confused:
After installing MSD wires last month, I have the dreaded radio static. I purchased the resistor thing from Radio Shack, but I'm not sure where to wire it in. I pulled the CD player from the dash, and all the wires are bundled into two little plugs. I looked by the amp in the trunk, and have no clue if I'm to wire it in back there....
The part from Radio Shack has just a power in/out wire, and a ground.
Suggestions?
TIA.
:)

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not exactly sure but my guess would be to wire it in as close to the radio power line as possible.

OP
OP
S

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not exactly sure but my guess would be to wire it in as close to the radio power line as possible.
That was my impression, but the wires are all bundled together into one of those quick connectors, and I have no clue what wire goes where.
:(

OP
OP
S

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Har har har Jay.
Nice you could make it today for breakfast....NOT!
;)
Anyone?? I was looking at the wiring label on the back of the radio, do I splice it into the Accessory(ACC) wire, since that is the hot lead to the radio?
Bueller.... Bueller....

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and get rid of those stupid plug wires.

They are doing nothing for you but adding static to your radio.

Use stock wires.

There is no reason to use aftermarket plug wires in a stock or near stock Viper. NOTHING, NO GAIN PERIOD.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that I've said that,
There are two ways that "static" can get into your radio. One way is for the bad signal to come in through the power input.
If you had whine from the alternator, that would be most likely coming in through the radio power input wire.
You can filter out bad signals from the power by using one of the various filters sold at Radio Shack.

The other way for static to get into the radio is through the antenna.
Many of the aftermarket plug wires will have a solid center conductor. This solid conductor lets the ignition system produce spark pulses with very sharp edges. These sharp pulses generate other signals all across the radio spectrum.

They are very hard to avoid since your radio is designed to receive signals.

Have you ever been stopped at a traffic light next to a car that was producing radio interference?
How do you filter that out? You don't. You just live with it or you don't produce it to start with.

OP
OP
S

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never expected a gain from the wires when I installed them, I understood MSD to be a good product, so I purchased them. I really don't want to deal with installing new wires anytime soon, LOL.
That said, I'm just trying to figure out if I cut the ACC wire from the group of wires going to the back of the radio, or if there is another one to splice into.
Thanks.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a wire that powers the radio.
A wire that powers the lights in the radio.
And a wire that takes power from the radio to the antenna amplifier module.

You want the wire that powers the radio.

Ask yourself this. If I put in a tape or cd, do I still get the noise?

If you don't get the noise when you are in cd or tape mode, the noise probably isn't coming from the power wire.

If the noise is there in tape or cd mode, you may have luck with the filter.

If the noise is actual radio frequency noise coming in through your antenna, you are not going to be able to filter it out.

Take a portable radio and stand next to your running car. Do you hear the noise?
If you do, then the wires are transmitting and there is nothing you can do to filter it.