New Buyer Beware Thread...LONG

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WARNING - there recently was another thread about a guy trying to buy a FLorida car - "something" did not seem quite right even though the warranty history was clear, as was the title. JonB said that FLorida seems to be the home of the cheap Vipers. I don't think so. FLorida seems to be the home of the shady Vipers. Especially those showing up at "specialty car dealers" - and even Dodge dealers. <VCA members cars are fine and I would wholeheartedly recommend buying directly from an individual.> Turns out this car (2000 RT/10 Red) was heavily damaged and repaired - don't know how the potential buyer found out but he did, luckily...

Here's another WARNING for Florida

This car (2000 Steel Grey RT/10 - 11K miles) was for sale at a "specialty car dealer" and advertised in the Dupont Registry. Propective buyer was told - One owner car, great condition - only repair was to rear bumper - it had been put in a small ditch and scratched so the owner replaced it. Hmmm....

Title was faxed. Owner shows "Bank of America" - odd - usually a lease company has that in their name. VIN does indeed show "one owner" - Luxury Car Rentals. Guess we should have asked how many DRIVERS??? Car prepped at dealer, never brought in for anything else.

Quick Google search of Luxury Car Rentals shows one in Tampa and one in Orlando. Friend talks to owner of company. Long story short... Car was damaged to the tune of about $28K. Renters insurance company would not pay. Car not drivable. Tampa employee supposedly trying to work a deal with bank. Employee and car disappear at the same time.

Owner (business owner - honest person) getting an injuction against "Mr Integrity" the specialty used car dealer and all info turned over to Tampa police.

So... here's the drill again. Trust no one. Get to know your local club members. Find a Viper Tech. Get the Dodge service history on ANY vehicle. Check out the original owner - that's in the record. Run a CarFax report. They are not 100% accurate - and they won't tell you about heavy damage that was repaired. That's where your new friends come in. Take friends to car, and then car to Viper Tech. Do you homework. There are a lot of nice cars out there, but in both of these cases, the price was a little "too good" on a 2000 car. IF you want to buy a car from a dealer (i.e. you have a trade, etc.), PLEASE consider one of the larger Viper friendly dealers that support this site. They are honest and reliable - you'll get a good clean car at a fair price.

Deals that sound too good to be true usually are... We've seen the good the bad and the ugly in used Vipers recently. With all the NICE cars out there, I'd hate to have a new Viper owner's newbie experience be destroyed by getting and UGLY one...

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto that Janni. The dealers that support this site are listed on the banners on these pages and are also listed on the sponsors page of this site. They make this site possible and if you've been around here for any length of time you've read about the good and great ones, as well as some of the others. I would advise anyone interested in buying their first viper to contact their local VCA and meet a few of the members at some events and get familiar with what to look for in the cars. You'll find you quickly know more about the cars than the dealers unless they are Viper owners themselves. Often there are cars for sale in your local VCA chapter where you can talk to the owner face to face. The Viper experience is incredible if you get the right car, it's worth doing the research and making new friends in the process to make sure you do.

Personally I wouldn't buy a Viper from anyone that didn't own one themselves.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I totally agree!! I won't ever buy another Viper from a "specialty car dealership". I did and I got bit! But I bit back with a lawsuit and got the car almost half of what I paid for. Can't go into details, but I am buying another Viper and I have learned my lesson. CARFAX *****! I will only do business with a reputable VCA memember or Car Dealership.

I'm much more experience since then and I agree, don't trust small car dealerships at all!

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to thow in a plug for buying from VCA members. I bought my '96 RT/10 from a local VCA Member (Fred Kinder) and I couldn't have hoped for a better transaction. The car was EXACTLY as represented, in wonderful shape, and everything went smoothly. It was also MUCH easier to work with a local private party purchase.

Do be careful when purchasing Vipers. Speak to local VCA members and meet with them to discuss possible vehicles for sale in your area.

-Matt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine