New Car - Turn Key Issue Question

vvvviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'01 Sapphire Blue RT/10 6 months old now with just over 3K on it.
Daily driver has been generally speaking treatin' me great. Question I have is regarding "turn key operation." I figure too early for me to be having battery probs and ordering an Optima.

Sometimes when I turn the key it'll crank for a split second but not turn over. I have more luck if I turn it half way to the accessory positon, stop momentarily, and then turn the key all the way. Anyone else experience this with relatively new car or is it just me and the way I'm used to turnin' Ford and Chevy keys?

Thanks,

Reaction score
You might make sure that you are depressing the clutch ALL the way to the floor, or the safety switch will prevent the car from starting. Even floor mats sometimes interfere with this process. Just a thought!

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It don't sound normal, but does sound like a battery/starter problem. Try this at night -> park close to a building, turn on the headlights, crank it, then see if the headlights dim when the engine STOPS cranking. If they do dim then you have a current draw/loss someplace. If they don't dim or become brighter when the engine STOPS cranking it's a low current switch contact problem (like ignition or clutch switch) worth a try anyway. It's under warranty so go have it checked out before it leaves you stranded somewhere.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if this is a fuel pump problem. If you just turn the key on, (without going to the start position) you will hear the pump run for a moment. It may be that the pump is on it's way out, and is not maintaining pressure in the lines. This could explain why it starts after a "prime".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte