NEW COUPE ORDERED, ANYONE ELSE?

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Placed my order for that blue/white stripe beauty,I have been waiting for years for DC to build the SRT/10 Coupe, DC listened, and they have delivered. And I have replied with my wallet. I could care less what the Z06 Vette is offering, remember, the Z06 Vette is not the base line Vette...they could offer the Z06 Vette at $50,000.00 and the Viper coupe at $90,000.00 and I would still buy the Viper coupe..but that is just my opinion..
Will I sell my GTS, No, it is a keeper for sure, I bought it for the same reason I am buying the coupe, it was love at first sight, I can not explain it,but, Viper really turns me on...............and for that to happen after 26 years of marriage (yes, the same women)and of course while also approaching 50, Well, you know..................
Lord willing and the creek dont rise, I will collect a Viper from each generation, you could not give me a Vette that I would keep....

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol good to go rick! dont be mad but i think i will be going with the vette as a secondary toy :) who knows maybe when we see it in person our minds will change.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thomas:

Ordered on pre-announcement and then confirmed at the time of the L.A. Show.

I am assuming we are looking at August-October delivery and likely blue/white the only initial color.

Alice

OP
OP
B

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Harlow, you are killing me with the Vette stuff. Please do not go into the light....................the light at the other end of the tunnel is just another train....saw you and Joe at Golds, but I quess you left before I could get off the cardio machine.

OP
OP
B

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alice,
Yes correct, I was told I should get the vin # by July, I was also told the offer from DC was, that buyers for the new coupe would be brought up to the plant for a tour and recieve the car direct from the line. have you heard this?

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well once i see your coupe....hmmm

its that we are running out of garage space so we will not feel bad about leaving the vette outside. its going to be a daily ******(traction control).

catch you next time at golds, we had some stuff just come up 5 minutes after we came inside.

Reaction score
I Will not buy a Sports car that is slower than a corvette!

Have purchased five Vipers, presently have three and will not buy another unless it is "King of The Hill"!

Is the styling great? No!
Are the creature features Great? No!
Performance Value? No! More expensive than a corvette and slower!

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Will not buy a Sports car that is slower than a corvette!

Have purchased five Vipers, presently have three and will not buy another unless it is "King of The Hill"!

Is the styling great? No!
Are the creature features Great? No!
Performance Value? No! More expensive than a corvette and slower!

You hit the nail on the head.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thomas:

I had not heard about plant tour etc. I am assuming that implies that you would drive the car from Detroit rather than have it transported.

Alice

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They used to do plant tours for people who wanted to pick up their cars. And then they stopped it. Are they back to that again? I hope so. I never got the opportunity but I've heard it is an awesome experience.

Alice - When you get your car, you have to tell me. I want to drool over it in person.

JD

OP
OP
B

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ALICE,
My dealer says, even though you recieve your coupe from the Viper factory, the option to drive it home is on you, but that they will ship your coupe to your dealership as a standard...I have a friend that had this done when he bought his Z06,so it is really way cool to see DC do it for us....I am really excited over the purchase of my new coupe, can not wait...

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thomas:

It sounds like that will be an adventure for you. After all, even getting safely into and out of Detroit is meritorious service to your country....likely Bronze Star material.

I shall more likely have my dealer deliver the coupe and pick up the Black Mamba.

I have two reservations about the coupe (none having to do with the coupe itself):
a. I really enjoy the convertible
b. I am not a blue/white fan and would be more compelled if there were color options.

My belief is that other colors will not be avaiable at the time of initial release. But I wish they would. Red/silver or Black/silver....or no stripes.

Joseph, I ordered pre-announcement and am second on the list.

Alice

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Joseph, I ordered pre-announcement and am second on the list.

Alice

Second on the list??!! Holy cow!! Who's first?? Leno??

If some of you folks drive your Vipers home from the plant, I wonder if DC will still charge you $800.00 for freight?

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John:

Actually you know the person who is first on the list, but he would have to reveal that...not me.

I would think that the $800 fee would be waived. May be an incentive to some to drive the car home.

I understand the aura of blue/white and can live with it, but I would be more enthused about red/silver....not so much red/white, however.

Best,

Alice

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious to know how you people that placed orders with a dealer know if the coupe will even be available to you first? Remember how the SRT program worked for the 2003 model? I had a friend who put down a large deposit quite some time before the SRT was even available to VCA members (only) and he ended up never getting one - the dealer held the deposit for over a year, told him he would be the first in Canada...blah, blah, blah...
Anyone know how the option to purchase will go for the new coupe? VCA members first? Original SRT owners first? Other than what a salesman told you...

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The option to tour is at the Plant's discretion, and it may or may not be available at the time a vehicle is ready to be delivered. Reasoning is based on conditions, time schedules, special programs ,etc., at Conner, and if DC decides to continue to keep delivery open, it is still scheduled for normally only 1-2 weekdays in the entire month ( usually Thursday ). Things have tightened up since 9/11 and for awhile there was no ability to get a plant pick up. They resumed, but again, the dates for delivery are very , very limited.
At this point it would not be advisable to tell a customer he can do this for sure, as this has been in a state of flux for the past few years. The option may exist, but it would be better to take a wait and see approach than to say this is a given. It is alot of fun, and hopefully DC will be able to continue this system in the future.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
KNUK,

Although the DEALER cannot place an order... many dealers, especially our friendly Viper oriented dealers on this site, have honored their official waiting lists without fail. The moment ordering opens up, they place the orders in the sequence that their waiting list was compiled.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe, will the cars be available to anyone or will VCA members/owners get first crack at the coupes? Do you have any other information about the car that you can share? Production #'s, cost, etc.???? We need ALL the specs ;)

ABADASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last time I had a new car coming from caap you were still charged $750 delivery at that time if you picked up at the plant.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Joe, will the cars be available to anyone or will VCA members/owners get first crack at the coupes? Do you have any other information about the car that you can share? Production #'s, cost, etc.???? We need ALL the specs ;)

I'm sure we'll find out more at the board of directors meeting, but "Media Days Maurice", who is at the show now... who obviously must have asked the question to anyone "in the know", said "No vouchers"

Stay tuned.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
any guesses at what the price will be for the new coupe?
Will the power stay the same as the current SRT?

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I stopped in at the dealer today and placed my order for the new coupe. I am first on his list and he sells a fair number of Vipers. He is offering a significantly better deal to Washington VCA members than Bill Pemberton was offering at VOI8.

As a side note, the owner of the dealership is offering his own personal Viper for sale. It is a black '96 RT/10 with only 600 miles on it. If anyone is interested let me know. Be prepared to cough up some $$$$. His asking price is way up there.

Bob K

Reaction score
Spoke with Maurice my post above was the result of our conversation.

The Viper will disappear unless it keeps its King of The Hill Performance. My opinion. Again who will pay more for a Viper that will not out perform a Corvette?, Not me!

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Viper will disappear unless it keeps its King of The Hill Performance. My opinion. Again who will pay more for a Viper that will not out perform a Corvette?, Not me!

I think that Porsche and Ferrari have been answering that question for years.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's correct: Porsche and Ferrari sell based upon image (style, class, wealth, and, for Ferrari, inacessibility).

I have seen no confirmed data from Dodge that the Viper has sold solely, or even chiefly, from a purely performance platform.

I do believe that there are a substantial number of purchasers who would buy the Viper over the Corvette solely on its being eye candy.

I speculate that the demographics would show that many individuals buy the Viper for its rarity and unique appearance. Those individuals would never consider a Z06 even if it were 650 HP although they may consider a lesser performing Porsche Cabriolet.

Now, I do believe it is highly probable that those who buy the Viper based upon performance are more likely to retain their vehicles for an extended period or own multiple Vipers.

From the factory's standpoint, retaining your Viper for many years is fine as long as it leads you to buy other D-C vehicles and/or recommend them to friends, family and business associates.

Those who buy solely based upon appearance may sell/trade quickly after noting its rude road manners. From the viewpoint of D-C, this rapid turn over is not necessarily negative.

I think that the Z06 is a threat to some Viper owners, but many owners and prospective buyers would not be swayed from a Viper purchase by a lesser costing Corvette, with its generic appearance, merely due to equal or greater performance.

In toto, I think the Viper has a longevity in its exclusivity, and I suspect that the SRT team knows what it is doing.

Alice

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Spoke with Maurice my post above was the result of our conversation.

That’s kind of like saying…”If you can’t guarantee that I’ll win, then I’m not even going to play”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather