New SRT & Comp Coupe pictures, new angles too...

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Chris, must have been a brain fart. Maybe I'll just call you KC Photo Guy, because your shots are always the best!

The coupe began its public display at the Detroit show today (much better set up than Los Angeles). Note the five spoke polished wheels.

6594PICT00391-med.JPG

Unfortunately it is still very rough. Check out the fit of the rear hatch (the other side was just as bad). Hopefully things like this will be ironed out before full production begins.

6594PICT00301-med.JPG

A lot of the other seams and details are awkward and strained (I apologize for the dark shots -- I guess I need Chris' camera).

6594PICT00381-med.JPG

6594PICT00311-med.JPG

The rear bolster is very high, cutting down visibility to the rear. It's hard to tell why it is that way (brace?), but it's used to prominently display "Fangs".

6594PICT0036-med.JPG

The other thing that blocks visibility (a lot) is the black shading around all sides of the rear window. This car has the rear window defrost wires in it, but the black surround is massive (much more so than the GTS). You can see the surround in the picture above too.

6594PICT0035-med.JPG

It seemed strange that the coupe was the only Viper on display. With the roadsters sitting piled up at Conner Avenue, you would think that they would have a roadster on the floor. Chevy had no less than 6 Corvettes of all styles, with at least 2 open to the public. However, there were some videos of SRT-10 roadsters shown prominently and a neat cut-away Viper V-10 engine displayed.

Chris is right that things are happening behind the scenes with the Viper team. There are many who would like to talk, but it is best that everyone keep their cool and let things play out. Hopefully everything will turn out for the best. We know that DC can do it.

It is unfortunate that maybe it took such a strong outpouring from the Viper community to shake up whoever was pulling the strings. There had been much constructive advice sent to the SRT/Viper Team even before VOI8, and much of it fell on deaf ears. Certainly the comments that came from this web site after VOI8 were born from people with a strong passion for the Viper. Those people expressed themselves because they were concerned, not because they were just taking *** shots. Some went into great detail and constructively pointed out specific issues and offered alternatives, others echoed the overall sentiments with shorter and more direct comments.

We all know that we can't design a car by committee. We also all know that there is a lot that goes into the decision making process on a car like the Viper. The average car buyer doesn't understand, or even know about, many of the constraints the Viper team has had to deal with. Certainly the design budget for the coupe was way too low (although they were finally able to strech it a little). The 2007 Federal regulations play a big part in it, etc. It's understandable that people working under tight constraints can get a little thin skinned.

However, the responses to the new coupe came from the gut for the most part. People knew in their gut that the original Vipers were landmark cars. They had a different gut feel (not necessarily all bad) about the latest design -- while it had virtues, it clearly wasn't the "Oh, my God!" kind of a design that Viper owners are used to. Then, when the proformance numbers weren't increased to meet the competition, everyone got nervous.

Hopefully this is the lull before the storm. We'd all like to see Viper come storming back. On every good team there are players that rally the team members before a big game, and they don't all do it the same way. They Viper community has been trying to rally in various ways. Let's focus on the challenge before us, not on personalized criticism or name calling. We're all on the same team and we all want the best coupe that we can get! :2tu:

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wheels: Five-spoke polished as on the show cars. And the "polished" part was also a direct result of owner feedback in Dallas.
Well it's a good thing that they have their priorities straight. :rolleyes:

Polished wheels should definately take precedence over more HP and lighter weight. Perhaps the people wanting more power aren't screaming loud enough.

Any way you can pass a long a kick to the shins to the people at DC for me???? I'll be going to the show, hopefully someone from DC is there handing out stylist/product planning job applications.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that is a great post, Hisserman. If Dodge is really working behind the scenes to correct the fatal flaw (HP) with the coupe, I am standing with them. And, I am not taking *** shots either, but being a lifelong Mopar man, want them to step up to the plate and do the right thing.

You can do it, Dodge.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post and it gives all us Vipernuts some hope...Im also glad they are taking the harsh criticism in the right light and not seeing it as just bashing or whining as some have seen it....I cant wait to see the final product...Im hoping to see three things addressed in this order.

1. Weight - At its current power level I think it would edge out the Z06 if it were 200-300 lbs lighter..Big tq advantage should mean it could edge out the Z on roadcources or drag strips if weight was comparable to Z06...

2. Power - Second to weight because I think it would make the Viper dominant over the Z06 only in the straights...Weight would make it take a back seat to the Z06 on cuircuit tracks even with a power advantage....

3. Styling - Critical to me but less important to power and weight because the car is easily identifable as a Viper..I really wish they went all the way with GTS style or all out CC style...Instead of the Frankensteining of the two styles...

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe they designed front fascia to be interchangeable on the SRT-10 and Comp coupe (then you add the rived part on the bottom). At least that was what I was told.

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I am now back home from Detroit after spending much of the day at the auto show. Great time and some great cars! Of course I should probably mention that we had a couple guys stop by to chat with us last night:

You must be registered for see images

Now I am sure that you recognize the celebrities in the middle, those crazy guys from St. Louis: Midwest Zone Director at Large Dave Naeger and VCA National President Steve Wedel. As if though they didn't carry enough star power by themselves, a couple of big guns from DC are also pictured: On the left is Ralph Gilles, the Director of Exterior/Interior Product Design and Specialty Vehicles; and Viper favorite Dan Knott, the Director of Street and Racing Technology (SRT) Division. Heavy hitters indeed!

Both took the time to answer questions and give a little insight to the Viper as it sits today, why the Comp Coupe body just wasn't practical for the SRT Coupe, horsepower and what it takes to upgrade it (two years certification plus a LOT of cash), and some other odds and ends. We also talked about the new Z06, and both give credit where credit is due: The Vette is one hell of a car and a serious contender by any measure. Yet neither seemed particularly worried. No doubt it will be a screamer, but until we see some real-world numbers there is no telling how it will shake out.

And the future of the Viper? They couldn't really say and I couldn't really quote what was said even if they did. However if guys like Turbo63 (troll?) expect to see Viper headlights in the rearview mirror: Enjoy it while (and if) you can. The original Viper trounced the Vette when it was first released, and it has taken the Chevy THIRTEEN YEARS just to catch up - not even beat - the Viper. Dead even on horsepower and down by 50 (or more) on torque. Don't get me wrong, the Vette is a killer car with lighter weight and some incredible technology. And easily the best bang for the buck if it does indeed stay under $70K. That said, while Chevy may get to enjoy being "equal" to the Viper, I just don't see DC standing by and letting them match up for long. I fully expect another trouncing and judging by the numerous grins I saw last night, I am not alone. Let me address a couple comments made on this thread recently:

#47 - Always a pleasure! And that panoramic VCA SRT picture looks goooooood...

Alice - You might want to look at that color chart again.

Bruce - EXCELLENT post and commentary! The cars at the auto shows are indeed "one offs" and I believe built by ASC. I suspect the production car will start building and delivering on the usual model year changeover schedule. And like the SRT convertible, I expect the fit and finish will be superb. You can actually see out of the back just fine. As the back window is also a prototype of sorts, I suspect there won't be that large black surround on the production car.

I also agree that it was both strange and disappointing not to see any other Vipers on display. Maybe a Silver Mamba and a Competition Coupe. My guess is that they didn't want to take away from the SRT Coupe debut. As to styling change for the Coupe, there is one thing I did learn that I think is safe to paraphrase: Redesigning the Viper from the ground up only a couple years after a complete redesign just isn't practical. The SRT Coupe had to be based on the SRT convertible. The Comp Coupe body wouldn't work for a number of reasons, but one of the most important is that of crash certification: The Comp Coupe itself would not pass offset crash standards and some of that is due to the added dimensions (longer rear and wider body). I am confident that the SRT Coupe design is the best possible result using the current platform. And as for the Viper storming back, did you ever see the movie Day After Tomorrow? :2tu:

Craig - I don't know that I can say much more at this point, other than you are both very mistaken and really ******* off the wrong people. Rest assured that the guys I spoke with share the EXACT same goals with you in every respect (styling, weight, horsepower, etc.). However they have just a few more restrictions than you do from your college dorm. The barrage of insults is both tiresome and misplaced. You will realize that soon enough.

Frank - While not a lifelong Mopar guy, we share the exact same thoughts. Including the love for that SRT-8 (sat in one today - AWESOME!!!). I fully expect DC to step up to the plate and hit a grand slam in the process.

SnakeBitten - I think you are on the right track.

The bottom line is that both the future of the Viper and the support of the program is stronger from DC than I have personally seen before. The Magnum is a great car and the Charger, um, interesting (sorry Ralph) - but the Viper is and will be the halo car for this rising brand for the foreseeable future as far as I can tell. The guys at DC and SRT continue to have an incredible level of excitement for the Viper and it really shows. Relax and enjoy the ride.

I shot a LOT more pictures at the show today (281 to be exact), but it is late and I am wiped out. More later!

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the great informative posts Y2k5SRT...My faith has been restored...Glad to know the reasons behind the styling...I think most of us that felt a bit letdown from the styling point now understand why they had to do what they did...CC shape not crash test worthy, complete from the ground up redesign not feasable right now etc etc.....It puts to rest the feeling that DC has abandoned the Vipers mission statement...

The new Z06 is an absolutely incredible car...Can you imagine what the final SRT Coupe will be like if Team SRT continues the Vipers "king of the hill" tradition!... :headbang: Competition improves the bread. Cant wait

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that's what I wanted to hear. Great information, Chris. I'll bet the guys from DC are doing the best they can to deliver, while facing probable budget and design issues. I'm sure their efforts are there.

Hopefully, there will be some exciting news before actual release of the FIRST unit!

Hans Christian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chis & Bruce,

Thank you both for excellent posts.

Great things to come, no doubt, meanwhile I will continue to support Dodge with my wallet - next purchase Magnum SRT and after that the next killer coupe - hehe.

DC if you are out there - keep going down the right path and we will follow.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chris, great post. Thank you for taking the time to give all of us who couldnt be there an inside look at this years show.
I always enjoy your stories.
The issue you bring up about a 2 year time frame and a lot of money to bring the CC body style to market is valid.
The only counter point I would like to make is that the day DC unveiled the Comp Coupe at The Detroit Auto Show, It was a colossal hit! I was there and the reception of this car was nothing short of spectacular. Many of us had our checkbooks ready to buy a street legal version of the beast.
From that day forward, it was evident that this was the car the Viper community wanted.
It is hard for me to believe that DC couldn't have given us a cost effective version of the CC with that amount of lead time.
I think DC failed to listen to the faithful and is trying to make amends by making inconsequential changes to the new coupe hoping to appease us.
Just my .02. :2tu:

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris:

As usual excellent post. My "color" question had to do with initial launch colors of the coupe being restricted to blue/white.

Brian:

Well expressed question/statement. Without revealing too much, what if there were *different* imminent future plans which would make a CC-clone a very expensive cosmetic development (especially with securing DOT endorsement for ground clearance, visibility, crash outcome, etc etc etc....very costly).

What if a decision is made that those costs would be better spent on a whole new concept. If you look at the history from 2001-2003, you can see such a plan in action. Even if you chose not to like the outcome (SRT-10), you can see how the decision was made.

More HP: Few may realize that even slight engine changes evoke new EAP certification, making even minor changes quite expensive to undertake. And, again, what if there are other plans for which those performance funds and actions are being better served within the SRT-10 Team.

Have you looked at the cost figures of something seemingly "easy" such as bringing out the ACR? Even minor mods to an existing design are more costly and less efficient than a whole new design and power train.

If you keep the faith, you will be rewarded.

Alice

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Alice, I have been stricken with tunnel vision as far as the CC has been concerned. You have very eloquently and elusively, stated that there are good things to come and I should be patient.
Your point is well taken and I will now wait for the next chapter to unfold. :cool:

Now its off to Mexico, see you all in a week!

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris - great post. But a few comments:

First, for the first 3 years of the Viper (RT/10) the Corvette ZR-1 had more horsepower (less torque) and was about the same quickness. So the Viper has not always been faster than the Corvette.

The 2 year certification and lots of dollars comment does not work. Did GM not have the same obstacle? With all of the unique aspects of the new Z06 it would appear that GM made a substantially higher investment in the Z06 than DC does with the Viper. Maybe with Bob Lutz at the helm GM does not require that the Z06 "make a profit" like the DC side requires. That may be why the Z06 can use aluminum frame, magnesium cradle, titanium conn rods and intake valves, sodium filled exhaust valves, forged pistons, cnc ports, carbon fiber parts, etc while the Viper replaces forged rods with "low cost" pm rods, cast pistons replaces the original forged pistons, replaces sodium filled exhaust valves with inconel (this was from the 2003 concept engine), etc. It is clear the direction that the Viper has been going: lower cost and capability components and higher market price while the Corvette is doing the opposite.

So if these guys you mention are all so powerful why do they not right that process instead of continuing it. The answer may be that the "leader" of the group was previously the main cost reduction person at Chrysler. Very hard for a leopard to change his spots.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tried reading through to make sure this is not a repeat, but we were told late Sat. night that the bulkhead behind the seat has been lowered, so some of the concerns many of you have is now a moot point. Chris , as usual , did a magnanimous job going over the car's changes and it definitely gives it a more rakish appearance in the rear. The rims are supposed to be the new five spokes and not the current style, and they do look terrific. The most fun part about the new Coupe was seeing all the folks lined up for pictures by it ( a new DC program at the shows ), as well as fighting for space to get the closer look. The car/exhibit was drawing crowds like flies on honey, so.............

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you one and all for some excellent posts and pictures. I have a much better appreciation for the new coupe as a result of these posts. I, along with many others, have been a bit disappointed in that the new coupe wasn't more like the CC in style and Hp but understand DC has many variables to contend with. I don't think DC wants to lose "king of the hill" status anymore than we do.

Now, on a different note how much longer do we have to put up with Craig 201 MPH and those like him? He/she/it serves no useful purpose to this forum, never has, never will. We have or nearly have lost some folks who have input worthy of contribution to the Viper community. Perhaps the best thing to do is not respond to any of their posts, maybe with a little luck they would disappear.

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian - I think the SRT convertible was already in stone when the Comp Coupe first appeared. I think the thing that the Comp Coupe does that the SRT Coupe doesn't is stretch everything out. The front end is longer with the added drop and splitter, the back end is MUCH longer (9 inches), the car is lower (clearance of 3.0 inches to the SRT's 5.1), and it is four inches wider as well. Few things would pass inspection on the Comp Coupe, including required visibility, tail light placement/view, crash testing, etc. Note that even the Comp Coupe engine with it's modest horsepower advantage is NOT certified due to valve overlap. Should Dodge spend untold millions to sell 1000 units a year on a platform that could indeed change in the future? Much as it pains us all, probably not.

Alice - Sorry about the confusion, as you mentioned Copperhead which is not a color I have heard for the Coupe in the first year. Everything I have seen and heard at the auto show and elsewhere indicates that blue/white is the only color for 2006, ala the '96 GTS.

Cris - I know the ZR-1 had more horsepower, but I seem to recall that the Viper won every published side-by-side speed test. Also interesting to note that the Viper stayed with the same horsepower (400) through 1995 - the same year that Chevy dropped the ZR-1 entirely. And the "2 year certification and lots of dollars comment" makes perfect sense ESPECIALLY when compared to the Corvette:

The math is simple: For General Motors they consistently produce 35,000 units a year. That's 35 THOUSAND to the Viper's more typical 18 HUNDRED. Now even with the price difference it is obvious that the Vette program has far more revenue than all of SRT combined. Over 1.5 billion dollars in Corvette sales with the Viper not even a tenth of that including the price difference. We often speak about the "Viper tax" and how we sometimes end up paying a premium for an ordinary part. What we seem to forget is that same "tax" is often quite legitimate: If R&D costs are the same, then recovering those costs with less than 1/20th of the production is all but impossible unless you raise the end price.

You mention the lower-cost parts (pistons, etc.) now going in the Viper and I agree with you 100%. But what you fail to address is that with the Viper being such an incredibly low-volume car, many of these measures take place just to keep the car semi-profitable. Again, when you are stamping out cars like cookies in an automated assembly line your costs are spread out and thus you can offer even your flagship performer for far less. When you are hand-building only a few cars a day those costs are very difficult to recover. Why do you suppose Ford is charging 150 large for the GT?

One final thought from me on this, and it takes no direction from anything seen or heard from DC in Detroit and is purely conjecture on my part: The Viper program as we know it today is not long for this world. Three reasons: ME Four-Twelve, Firepower, and the Ford GT. The Chrysler ME Four-Twelve is officially dead. Excitement was high, but why introduce an extremely limited exotic under a company that doesn't even have a sports car to begin with? Oh, the Crossfire is a great little car, but you won't see any of them in any racing venue I know of. Yet every indication is that the Chrysler Firepower was conceived to compete with the Corvette. Gorgeous car with all the right moves and competitive power. But wait a minute.... doesn't DC already HAVE a "Corvette fighter" in the Dodge Viper? Why compete with not only the Vette, but your own established marquee model over at Dodge? Of course you could have Dodge produce a low-volume, high cost "supercar" and reestablish a true halo vehicle for the brand. Look at lowly Ford, whose sole claim to a sports car was the Mustang. They made a HUGE jump and completely sold out of a $150,000 car called the GT.

So, what is to become of the Viper? In my very humble opinion, the new Z06 is the death knell for the Dodge Viper as it exists today. In 2003 there were four models sold in the US with 500 or more horsepower. In 2005 there are EIGHTEEN models sold in the US with 500 or more horsepower. Now that doesn't take anything away from the Viper, nor does the Z06. But to compete with similar horsepower and a $20,000 premium demands a true exotic. The SRT-10 is an incredible performer by any standard. Likewise, it is a rare beast with very few to be seen on the road. Yet while certainly a great looking car in every respect, it does not form as indelible a picture as the models that preceded it. The first time you see a GTS in the flesh (1997, blue & white), your jaw drops and you can't help but say to yourself, "Holy sh**!!" For many, the SRT-10 is a gorgeous car, but just doesn't inspire that same reaction.

The future of the Viper lay in becoming a TRUE exotic in every sense of the word: Styling, power, production - and price. While the ME Four-Twelve is a little bit drastic in all of those respects, finding a niche closer to the Ford GT is not only more realistic, but more practical as well. So, let's imagine a Viper with in-your-face styling that cannot be confused with any other. Then bump the technology to something more updated (bye-bye 8+ liters) and (gasp) controllable. If you were pushing 650 horsepower from the factory in a 2900 pound car, something like switchable traction control or all wheel drive would be a must. The Ferrari Enzo, Porsche Carrera GT, and Lamborghini offer some variation of it as standard. And before you poo-poo it altogether, don't forget the world-record Viper V10 quarter mile run was recently set with traction control.

Now, before all of my fellow Viper owners go up in arms, I am simply being realistic in that for my Viper to sticker at $89,995 vs. the rumored $63,000 for the Z06, it had better offer more than just exclusivity. The new Coupe is gorgeous and will most certainly sell. But to keep the Viper program alive well into the future, it must once again dominate the American sports car scene. I have no doubt it will do just that - and then some.

By the way, did I mention that I am VERY happy with my SRT-10 convertible? :2tu:

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, excellent post and commentary as usual. I must say I concur....I look back at the tech. sessions at VIO8 and the discussions centered around the future of the car, technological innovations and the 2007 changes required by the Feds. I feel a big change coming.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More great comments Chris. But when you compare the Z06 to the Viper you need to talk in terms of Z06 volumes. I have heard their planned volumes are only about double the Viper. And the engine is more hand built than the Vipers (which also has the Ram SRT for volume).

If the Z06 volume is less than 5000 than the arguments on the cost side of the equation disappear. Do not get me wrong. I am not arguing for the vette. I am asking for the Viper to provide a similar level of performance goodies. Dry sump oiling, strong conn rods and forged pistons would be a great start. 7000 rpm would also be nice as would some lightening methods like the aluminum frame.

All-in-all the Viper does need to keep at least even or its future will be in doubt.

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More great comments Chris. But when you compare the Z06 to the Viper you need to talk in terms of Z06 volumes. I have heard their planned volumes are only about double the Viper. And the engine is more hand built than the Vipers (which also has the Ram SRT for volume).

If the Z06 volume is less than 5000 than the arguments on the cost side of the equation disappear. Do not get me wrong. I am not arguing for the vette. I am asking for the Viper to provide a similar level of performance goodies. Dry sump oiling, strong conn rods and forged pistons would be a great start. 7000 rpm would also be nice as would some lightening methods like the aluminum frame.

All-in-all the Viper does need to keep at least even or its future will be in doubt.

Cris - I agree with everything written above with the exception of production. The development costs for the Z06 are spread out over ALL of the Corvette platform, otherwise the Z06 would cost a lot closer to the Viper, if not more. That holds true especially if they project it will be a lower production car. I am not arguing that the parts are more expensive per se, but that the R&D and facilities to build them are impossible to absorb at $63K and 5,000 copies. Rest assured that I want the Viper to continue to dominate as much as anybody.

By the way, did I mention that I am VERY happy with my current SRT-10 convertible? :2tu:

kaval

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One final thought from me on this, and it takes no direction from anything seen or heard from DC in Detroit and is purely conjecture on my part: The Viper program as we know it today is not long for this world.

HUH???

. But to keep the Viper program alive well into the future, it must once again dominate the American sports car scene. I have no doubt it will do just that - and then some.

WHAT???
Now I'm confused.

By the way, did I mention that I am VERY happy with my SRT-10 convertible? :2tu:

Me too.

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One final thought from me on this, and it takes no direction from anything seen or heard from DC in Detroit and is purely conjecture on my part: The Viper program as we know it today is not long for this world.
HUH???

But to keep the Viper program alive well into the future, it must once again dominate the American sports car scene. I have no doubt it will do just that - and then some.

WHAT???
Now I'm confused.

[/QUOTE]

I know it sounds a little contradictory, but the key words are in the first statement: "The Viper program as we know it today"

Here is kinda where I am going with this: When the Viper was redesigned in SRT-10 form, most felt it was a little more "mainstream" and targeted at Corvette owners. The consensus was that it would sell a lot more and appeal to the masses. After all, while the Gen I/II are stunning examples of automotive art, not everybody is comfortable driving around in something so audacious. Of course the 2003 production run immediately sold out through the coupon program. DC, realizing that they had a bonafide hit on their hands and with dealers demanding Vipers, ramped up production for 2004. One minor problem: The market for an $85K sports car was pretty soft, and the prospect of converting thousands of Corvette owners wasn't coming to fruition - especially with the Corvette's own redesign on the immediate horizon.

So, in my very humble opinion, the prospect of making the Viper a "mass market" car wasn't (and isn't) realistic. I personally think that once you cross that magic $75K mark that your volume will diminish considerably. Especially when the vehicle is a purpose-built car with only two seats. Did you know that Lamborghini set an all-time production record in 2003 for their factory? Yep, they built a TOTAL of 1305 units (Murcielago and Gallardo combined). This, compared to their previous record production set back in 1991 when they built all of 672 cars. While they are certainly more expensive and more exotic in nature, it demonstrates that there is no "mass production" when it comes to this type of vehicle.

Now back to the SRT-10: I personally think the car will continue to be built over the next few years. Corvette designs have run as little as five years (C2), with the C5 going a total of eight. If I were to guess, I would say that the SRT-10 platform is good through 2010, at which point a new Viper will be announced. I suspect there will be a few tweaks in between, maybe even a bump in horsepower. Certainly the car can handle it. But I also think that the Z06 (yeah, the dreaded "Z" word, sorry) caught DC a little off guard. As a result, I wouldn't be even a little surprised to see a few folks scrambling to come up with the next Big Idea when it comes to the Viper platform.

Knowing that it is unlikely to EVER become a mass-produced car, I suspect it could go the opposite direction as stated previously. Think of a cross between the Firepower concept and the ME Four-Twelve concept: A purpose-built American exotic car with outrageous performance numbers and audacious looks that aren't designed for the masses. Did I mention that when we were in Detroit having lunch that they parked the new SRT Coupe next to an ME Four-Twelve test mule? Hmmmm....

One last consideration: The Ford GT is a public relations home run, not to mention completely sold out. Yet it "only" produces 550 horsepower to the Viper's published 500 (my 2005 dyno'ed at approximately 530). Still, they sold out before the first one was built - at $150,000 a copy PLUS a huge markup. Most importantly, it is already DONE: Ford stated up front that this car would be produced as 2005 through 2007 models and that is it. So beginning in 2008, there will be no American exotic car besides the Viper. Sorry kids, but the Z06 styling is far too close to a regular C6 to be considered "exotic".

While I certainly don't want to see the Viper go the GT route on pricing, I personally feel that the car will be far more targeted as an exotic than as a car for the masses. This means less mainstream styling, less weight, more horsepower, more cost, and probably a handful of bells and whistles to keep it safe (e.g., traction control). Let the Firepower play with the 30,000+ C6's and C7's that will be built every year. The Viper will be enjoying a delicious meal of Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Porsche - while snacking on Z06's in between.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, I noticed on the color chart that 'GTS BLUE' is on there. Will this only be a coupe color or will it be a vert color as well? I think the SRT (vert) would look very nice in the 'GTS BLUE'.

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chris, great pics and information on the new coupe. I must admit the car is starting to grow on me and I can't wait to see it in person.

The area of the body under the rear hatch, and on the rear hatch itself is going to be a real ***** to clean with all the nooks and cranny's that I see (with the hatch up).

The fact that the car does not have a spare tire is interesting.
Did they go with a little larger fuel tank in comparison to the GTS?

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One last consideration: The Ford GT is a public relations home run, not to mention completely sold out. Yet it "only" produces 550 horsepower to the Viper's published 500 (my 2005 dyno'ed at approximately 530). Still, they sold out before the first one was built - at $150,000 a copy PLUS a huge markup.

Chris,

I gotta kick in here as you have stated this more than once, the Ford GT is not sold out, there are more than 200 available for sale right now.

And, not too long ago there was an article in Autoweek declaring the same:

http://www.autoweek.com/printwindow.cms?newsId=101451&pageType=news

basically this:

As of Dec 20 2004:

....The recall affects the 448 GTs produced this year. Of those, 289 have been shipped to dealerships, and 106 are in customers' hands....

There is more than one dealership in my area with one available.

I do think once dealers drop their need to get $50,000 or more over sticker they will start moving, but, they are not a sell out by any means.

J

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know I love to be honest.Excuse the French but if this is what DC is putting together that's a darn FCKEN shame.The car looks basically like a kit car in the rear.What's up with the overlap rear fenders?That is so tacky looking. Doesn't even look like alot of thought was put into this design. Is there anyone reading this.I hope you guys know this car won't sell sht.The SRT looks way better.At least the car doesn't have those goofy looking rear fenders overlapping on bumper.What's up with the trunk? I didn't think DC is looking for baggage space on the Viper..Damn what a shame.I hope before they start building this ugly car they scrap it first and re design it.
Thank god i'm keeping mine and never selling it.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
Looks alot better with all of those wheels shown than the cheap plastic looking ladder type wheels I saw in the NY Auto Show.........