New to ViperLand

sprice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello , I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. Name is Steve and I just bought my first Viper. 2006 Convertible. Should be taking delivery of it this
weekend or early next week. Looking forward to driving this thing when the weather finally gets better and the salt and sand are washed away. Hope I did this post
properly.

OP
OP
S

sprice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks very much

I am reading on the forum here about battery drain problems and guys using battery tenders or their battery goes dead quickly. Is this a common issue with these cars.........I am actually taking delivery of this car this weekend. I know that it is always a good idea to keep
a battery charged but how fast does the thing get drained.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the club!! Everyone here is very helpful--a great resource for your Viper enjoyment--Dave

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
There is a battery save mode on the car (see owners manual) which will help the battery last longer when the car is not used. Mine go about 3 months before things get difficult. I use Schumacher Battery tenders on all the cars to avoid any issues. Wallmart has nice models of these for around $25.00--Dave

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers have an alarm, clock, and some computer stuff that puts a slow drain on the car. Most of us just hook them up to a battery tender when they are not going to be driven for a week or more. Just a simple thing that makes ownership easier.

You can hook up the tender pigtail in the engine compartment battery terminals, and snake it out the gills on the side. The actual battery is in the drivers side rear fender. A pain to get at.

Best of fun with your new Viper.

OP
OP
S

sprice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Sounds like a good idea. I still am waiting for the car to be delivered so I will have to locate the engine compartment battery terminals. This is a very low mileage car to start with so I know that I will be driving it only on perfect weather days. When I asked the previous owner about the drainage battery problems, he told me that he has not had any issues, but it is always better for the battery to be on a tender type of charger. I really can't wait to get this car, but with the weather, we had to put off the delivery twice now. It should be picked up on Saturday and I probably will have it on Tuesday or Wednesday next week..

OP
OP
S

sprice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I finally got my car yesterday and it is just amazing. looks like it came off the showroom floor. Invoice from the factory is included and all of the paperwork and keys. I have been with cars for a long time, but really am not too familiar with these
Vipers. I have a question about paint. This car has gorgeous paint and it has a protective clear film on the very front forward part of the hood. Was this installed by the previous owner or do they all come from the factory with this on them. Also now that I have the car, what exactly is THE best way to add a battery tender since the battery itself is locked inside the
trunk. I see where the positive terminal thing is in the engine compartment, but there must be a way to do this in a concealed sort of way

thanks Steve

apeas2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, congrats and welcome to the club. I suspect the previous owner had a clear bra installed over the paint as none we done at the factory. As for the batter tender, this is probably the sweetest and most professional setup.

http://dougshelbyengineering.com/Viper.html

Scroll to the last product on the page. It took me 20 minutes to install and you just plug your tender into the new connector in the back of the car. Enjoy.

OP
OP
S

sprice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very slick, thanks, will do this right away!

If I wanted to take the clear plastic "bra" off are there any hints about technique......it probably has been on there since new. looks like it will be a difficult thing to get off.....should I just leave it on

thanks very much
Steve

OP
OP
S

sprice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good idea. thanks, you almost can not see the clear plastic. thanks to everyone. Is there anyone else in the Fairfax area.

OP
OP
S

sprice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When should I expect the Viper Magazine to arrive. I still have not received my first copy. BTW, I installed the replacement battery cover and it fits perfectly and my battery stays fully charged
with my battery tender hooked up. thanks Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave