New video, Autoline After Hours, interviewing Ralph

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

Gives a very unique insight into the new SRT brand. Also, it was great seeing Ralph in an unfamiliar setting where we were awarded with his eloquent but clearly honest candor, so important to the new brand and direction SRT is going. If one reads between the lines, it sounds like Chrysler/Dodge is on the cusp of reinventing itself. This could be awesome.

Thanks for posting this.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was awesome. Thanks for posting that.

I thought it was interesting that because of a shortage of Japanese cars, people gave the Chrysler 200 a try. He also said that the Grand Cherokee is attracting Lexus owners. That describes me. I'm trying to decide between an SRT 300 or SRT Jeep.

~Jay

OP
OP

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's cool Mike and Jay, after watching, just had to Post it.. enjoyed the relaxed style conversation.

Not what I wanted to hear.

I don't think that was intentionally malicious, just pointing out a fact that checking all the boxes can be expensive sounding like he is being a bit humorous understanding we all don't have deep pockets.. All the other add on options can really escalate the price of a vehicle, heck you can probably tick all the boxes for practically any vehicle and add on about 30% of the base vehicle value today.

Regarding Ralph's comments about carbon fiber, as I've done quite a bit of carbon fiber design stuff, will be pleasantly surprised to see it being sold for the speculated prices of $100k to $130k, it's the investment into tooling and material that needs to be spread out in a low volume car to be feasible. Last car that I designed quite a bit of stuff for the Aston Martin One-77, full carbon fiber chassis, volume was only 77 cars, and the car ended up being around $2M each. Thankfully they didn't consider a carbon fiber chassis for the Viper, price would have been around $250k minimum. Steel is the way to go for this platform, just as Ralph says, it's easier to repair. Steel is making a big comeback in the automotive industry, due to the high / super strength steels, it is an excellent material choice and for occupant safety.

Ralph's comments about having a thin exterior carbon fiber layer, they end up having panels with core material separating the inner and outer layers. If you google the RUF CTR3, I had designed the majority of that carbon fiber body for production, having large rear decklid (like a clamshell), it was a bit flimsy when it was opened, but like Ralph says, once it's latched down, it is quite stiff because of the egg / convex shapes.

Edit.. here's a pic of the RUF CTR3 carbon fiber clamshell style decklid..

You must be registered for see images

I'm looking forward to this Gen 5 Viper, it was well executed (other than my passionate rant about the engine covers..).

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just feel that he makes many comments about the price of the car that make it seem like he is bracing us for something. Especially when he mentioned how Viper owners have had an increase of wealth and quite frequently spend decents sums of money on the car in the aftermarket. I hope the car doesn't breach $120k, even after I check all the boxes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4