New Viper owner with questions please,

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just bought a Viper, it is a 95 rt/10.
bought it from a friend of mine who is also on the viper forums.

Glad to be on the site, so much great info!!!

Some questions....

I just got a new battery, Die hard platinum gel cell 78 series, 880cca. good choice? Really turns the engine over quick, much much faster then the old decaying battery.

I am planning on changing out all the fluids in the car next week.

If someone could recommend what products to use for each of the fluids, that would be great!!!

Oil I was going to get 0-w40 mobile one extended performance as it was recommended to me, good?

What about filter?

And what about for the rear end and transmission?

Will std. brake and power steering fluid work fine?

What about the friction modifier? where can I get that local?

Sorry for so many questions, just want to do it right.

Thank you, Mark.

PICS......

You must be registered for see images

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome. Your 95 rt/10 looks real nice! I have GEN 3 so sorry I can't help with your questions but I am sure others will. Where are you located?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, nice pics of your '95!!! Chuck Tator can help you with your questions, his #1-914-763-3136. Mobil One Synthetic 0-40 is recommended for our GenIII. We use K&N oil filter and K&N air filters. Chuck can better answer for your particular '95...welcome aboard, glad to have ya!!! Where are you located?
CONGRATS!!! ~juli

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ah, nice pics of your '95!!! Chuck Tator can help you with your questions, his #1-914-763-3136. Mobil One Synthetic 0-40 is recommended for our GenIII. We use K&N oil filter and K&N air filters. Chuck can better answer for your particular '95...welcome aboard, glad to have ya!!! Where are you located?
CONGRATS!!! ~juli

While 0w-40 is reccomended for a Gen III, I'd just use the standard Mobil 1 10w-30 for your gen I. This is the factory fill. As for the amount it varies by year a little bit.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Use Mobile 1 10w-30 (factory fill). 0w-40 is for the Gen. III's (the factory fill for the 2005's and up). Stick with the factory fill Mopar fluids unless to plan to track/race the car. For the oil filter, use the Mobile 1 M1-204. For the air filters, switch to the S&B hi flow filters (I bought mine fron Roe Racing a few years back). I believe the air box has to be slightly modified to use the K&N's unless K&N has recently changed their design.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanx guys for your comments on the specific '95...I DID state that what we used was for our GenIII.
GenI's are a whole different ball-game! THX! (I would still call Chuck Tator with your questions Pryme)
And, 02graphiteGTS/Lance is in California...you could probably PM him? Just a thought. ~juli

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use Mobile 1 10w-30 (factory fill). 0w-40 is for the Gen. III's (the factory fill for the 2005's and up). Stick with the factory fill Mopar fluids unless to plan to track/race the car. For the oil filter, use the Mobile 1 M1-204. For the air filters, switch to the S&B hi flow filters (I bought mine fron Roe Racing a few years back). I believe the air box has to be slightly modified to use the K&N's unless K&N has recently changed their design.
K&N's will work fine. Give Jon B a call, he can hook you up.

dawgman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Mark,
Congrats, and a great looking car! Just bought a black '95 myself. I changed the oil and put in 10 qts. of Mobile One 10w30. I used a NAPA Gold oil filter. The rest of the fluids I will do shortly. I did purchase a factory service manual on ebay, a must have! Good luck, and have fun -
Steve

Last edited:

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a new Mopar VIPER Oil filter that is supposed to be superior to any aftermarket filter. It was introduced recently and fits all models. For the other fluids:
Oil - Mobil 1 10W30
Oil Filter- Mopar "Viper"
Power steering fluid - Mopar
Rear differential fluid - Mopar
Friction modifier - Mopar
Antifreeze - Original green
Brake fluid - I use Valvoline Synthetic Dot 4
Clutch fluid - same as brake

Most of the above came at the recommendation of The Wizard, when I bought my '94 RT/10 two years ago.

OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you all for the welcomes and advice.

Upon inspection, I also will replace the serpentine belt, as it has little cracks in it. better safe then sorry.

Does anyone else with a gen 1 experience a gas gauge needle with a mind of its own? It reminds me of a 4wheeler haha, it has a tendency to move around some?

Normal or what needs fixing?

Thanks.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a new Mopar VIPER Oil filter that is supposed to be superior to any aftermarket filter. It was introduced recently and fits all models. For the other fluids:
Oil - Mobil 1 10W30
Oil Filter- Mopar "Viper"
Power steering fluid - Mopar
Rear differential fluid - Mopar
Friction modifier - Mopar
Antifreeze - Original green
Brake fluid - I use Valvoline Synthetic Dot 4
Clutch fluid - same as brake

Most of the above came at the recommendation of The Wizard, when I bought my '94 RT/10 two years ago.

you need 10qts of oil get the gallons at Wal-mart. I would suggest the Mopar brake fluid for the clutch too get 2-12oz Part# 4549625-AC.
The Viper Oil Filter may have to be ordered. part# 5037836-AA
some parts guys do not know of the filter so have the #
congrats and welcome

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all for the welcomes and advice.

Upon inspection, I also will replace the serpentine belt, as it has little cracks in it. better safe then sorry.

Does anyone else with a gen 1 experience a gas gauge needle with a mind of its own? It reminds me of a 4wheeler haha, it has a tendency to move around some?

Thanks.

I think it is normal depending on how you use the Go pedal. Put the hammer down and the needle will probably show the "projected" amount of gas available and then stabilize again when you take it easy.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Flexx and Houston neighbor, I have a 1999 and use the Mobil 1 0w-40 as it has a wider viscosity range than the 10w-30. I dont believe the 0w-40 was even out when the Gen 2 was built. I believe the factory fill would have been 0w-40 if it was available then. Thoughts on this?

OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Flexx and Houston neighbor, I have a 1999 and use the Mobil 1 0w-40 as it has a wider viscosity range than the 10w-30. I dont believe the 0w-40 was even out when the Gen 2 was built. I believe the factory fill would have been 0w-40 if it was available then. Thoughts on this?

This is exactly what my buddy who sold me the car said, He said the 0w-40 was a lot better then the 10w-30 and they would have used it if it was out in 95.

I'm looking for input also on this, I really doubt it would make a massive difference either way would it?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks.

Normal. Most Gen 1 (and 2?) Viper gas gauges have a mind of their own. When mine shows empty, I usually have 1/2-1/4 of gas in it.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
9 quarts was too much oil for my 98 GTS. My 01 uses 10.5Q.

The gas guages are designed to say empty when 1/4 is left. This is for cooling the hi press/hi volume fuel pump. Run it past empty very often and fuel pump will need replacing sooner.

Also greasing Ujoints, susp. components?

Ted

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
9 quarts was too much oil for my 98 GTS. My 01 uses 10.5Q.
The gas guages are designed to say empty when 1/4 is left. This is for cooling the hi press/hi volume fuel pump. Run it past empty very often and fuel pump will need replacing sooner.
Also greasing Ujoints, susp. components?
Ted

Not a '98 GTS...but with our GenIII we also grease the Ujoints, and whatever Mike can reach thru, after pulling the wheels (we have no lift). We have no fuel gauge problem, but worse: the rpm's quiver...not WAY off, but you aren't QUITE sure where it's at.
Off warranty, so haven't gotten that checked. ~juli

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only guage problem I've noticed is that although my trip odometer is correct, the mileage odometer seems to be about 10% extra mileage. Not a big deal.

I bought the car with warranty, but Chrysler cancelled my remaiining 2 years of warranty because they "are trying to discourage cross border shopping" so I won't be replacing it.

Ted

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is ridiculous, Ted...'discourage cross-border shopping'??? WHY? Too expensive for THEM, I think not! ~juli