Nissan GTR Versus The 08 Viper

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Calm down guys LOL

Well personally i love all cars, yes i admit I love my viper more than any car i own its different its more mechanical than electrical.

GTR a nice all around car few friends owned r34 and r33.

im not sure about the trap speeds but I don’t think it will hit 124mph the fastest i saw like 120mph-121mph.

and I don’t think it dynoed 480 to the wheels maybe you referring to the Dynapack
482hp axles numbers! Everyone I know said his car made more power with Dynapack.

MT Dynosheets:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

but after all it’s a car I don’t mind to own but it wont beat a viper specially at higher speeds and when aftermarket parts start to show its going to be a beast.

Good post MBN. Not sure what dyno recorded the 480rwhp but you bring up good points. I guess the bs and hype will either be proved or disproved when owners get there hands on em and dyno/track em. For the record I never said the GTR is a Viper replacement. Nothing out there is but it is an alternative for those who dont have the skill to drive a Viper but want some pretty good power and handling with a lot of engineered in safety nets.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nissan and Cheby are talking a lot of trash with their 'Ring times. Too bad the Mopar boys aren't making a serious run at the 'Ring production car record with the ACR.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spanked is an understatement. Though the ACR is modded. 28 seconds difference in only 3 laps.

EditL second place was 19 seconds back, but had some issues. Wont be a walk in the park. we'll see how they do at Mid America today.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the breakdown. GTR came in 4th zip codes behind the ACR as expected. Davia's Porsche had ignition problems so next race will tell if he has anything for the ACR. Kinda early to say this but I think this Porsche is the only thing between the ACR and sure victory. Look at the distance between it and everything else Davia's Porsche excluded. Next few races will tell and hopefully they both are 100% for the remaining races.

One Lap of America - the Official Webpage

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I hope they both stay healthy for the whole event, it will be a good finish if so. The wet skid pad REALLY hurt the ACR, they must have spun to do that poorly.

Davia said the ACR cornered better so they should win Mid America. I was kinda puzzled at him saying he could catch the ACR on the straights. That was a little weird. What's done to this motor. I know Davia's car is only about 600 hp.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I hope they both stay healthy for the whole event, it will be a good finish if so. The wet skid pad REALLY hurt the ACR, they must have spun to do that poorly.

Davia said the ACR cornered better so they should win Mid America. I was kinda puzzled at him saying he could catch the ACR on the straights. That was a little weird. What's done to this motor. I know Davia's car is only about 600 hp.

Hennessey said Chris Winkler[ACR driver] said Davias Porsche was faster in the straights. Its a serious car. I actually thought the Porsche was in the 700hp range? BTW just looked at the standings and the Porsche is in 1st and the GTR is in 2nd overall. ACR is in 6th place overall. *****. That stupid skidpad test. It shouldnt count for that many points. Heres hoping for a repeat performance on the roadcourse at Mid America today.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet. The scary part is the damn thing is near stock lol. Just looked at the times. It beat Davia's Porsche again by 5 secs this time. And absolutely clobbered the GTR yet again not to mention several Z06's and a Ford GT, ultralite and a Mongoose. ACR may not have Ring times but its speaking volumes so far against some strong competition.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Near stock yes, except the tires were changed out to PS2's. So it cannot be stated to be a tires advantage.

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good post MBN. Not sure what dyno recorded the 480rwhp but you bring up good points. I guess the bs and hype will either be proved or disproved when owners get there hands on em and dyno/track em. For the record I never said the GTR is a Viper replacement. Nothing out there is but it is an alternative for those who dont have the skill to drive a Viper but want some pretty good power and handling with a lot of engineered in safety nets.

it cant be a viper replacement but i dont mind parking one next to my viper ;)

i do like the GTR and i may get one probably a V-Spec next year or so.

im a bit disappointed hearing the GTR times in Road America but personally i dont care much about lap times.

and here is the Dynapack numbers i told you about :

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

and for some its not what you drive its who you are.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hennessey said Chris Winkler[ACR driver] said Davias Porsche was faster in the straights. Its a serious car. I actually thought the Porsche was in the 700hp range? BTW just looked at the standings and the Porsche is in 1st and the GTR is in 2nd overall. ACR is in 6th place overall. *****. That stupid skidpad test. It shouldnt count for that many points. Heres hoping for a repeat performance on the roadcourse at Mid America today.

Davia's car has a little over 600 hp (520-530 whp) and with AWD cant weight much less than the Viper. His turbos (K24) will only flow enough air for a little over 600 hp. Though he is running water/**** injection now which may be the reason for the problems, but wont help with power much because there is no public standalone for the car for dyno tuning. At 700 hp you have to start going into the motor on the 996 TT.

I knew the downforce would have a big affect on the Viper straight line speeds, but not that much. And considering Davia's car has a bunch too, I dont kow, seems odd.

I dont think the GT-R was ever in second overall, but regardless, it's in 4th right now, and the 996 GT3 beat it down today and will likely beat it for the remainder other than the drag strip.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are a bit disappointed in Lap Times for the GTR because the truth is starting to leak out. The car will likely have the power and WEIGHT listed by the manufacturer. Physics is physics at some point. Especially after discounting launch control, etc. for standing starts.

Good car, but different league.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys, go check out the onelap track times so far....Road Atlanta....Mid America....the ACR is absolutely SMOKING the GTR. Cannot wait till it hits VIR.

SMOKING THE GTR.

Did I say Smoking?

Yeah S M O K I N G the GTR.

Oh yeah my 1000th post. Woot.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MBN thanks for the info. Nice to see an open minded carguy.

Bluestreak thanks for the clarification on Davias Porsche. Is Davias car stripped down or a full street car? BTW when I looked yesterday on OLA website it had the GTR in 2nd place overall after the first race. Maybe it was after the first race it was in 2nd and after the 2nd race they updated it to 4th. Im very sure I saw it in 2nd at one time. Ill check the points count after the 1st race. No big deal though just clarifying. Doesnt change the fact that the ACR is ****** the GTR with ease.

Im passing this info on as I saw it on 6 speedonline. Some may take it as nutswinging or Viper hating and thats there choice, but Im am not about either one of those things.

Apparently Tony Swan has a broken hand and is having trouble driving the GTR as it is his first time in it let alone tracking it with a freshly cast removed hand. lol. Why didnt they just get a physically able driver instead? The funny thing is he still beat the modded 996 and 997 GT3's with that hand he just took the cast off :lmao:. No excuses. Check out the thread on 6speedonline. The guy that gave the info is running in the OLA in a Cayman GTR if Im not mistaken. REAL WORLD 996 GT3 vs GT-R - Page 6 - 6speedonline.com Forums

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think it's gutted, at least last year it wasnt, but I could be wrong. I'd imagine 3100-3200 lbs even if he had CF hood/trunk, completely gutted with no AC or radio.

I asked the shop that tunes his car the actual weight but didnt get a response.

As for the GT-R beating the GT3, he only beat him at Road America and has been getting ***** ever since. The only reason he beat the 996 GT3 at Road America is because he had never been there. The 997 guys just arent very competitive drivers.

The 996 GT3 is barely modded, and running 390-400 crank hp. And obviously lacking severly in straihgt line speed, so the GT-R is just getting manhandled in the turns. So its still humbling to the GT-R to get smashed

Now losing overall to an E36 M3, so much for godzilla. :rolaugh:

On top of that has Nissan techs traveling with him.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are a bit disappointed in Lap Times for the GTR because the truth is starting to leak out. The car will likely have the power and WEIGHT listed by the manufacturer. Physics is physics at some point. Especially after discounting launch control, etc. for standing starts.

Good car, but different league.
Very well said.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May be wrong info but I saw this on 6speedonline regarding the GTR.

I have spoken to one of the R&T editors, who was kind enough to take the time to discuss the provenance of the GT-Rs used in testing. That conversation relates to this thread as follows: Nissan provided 3 GT-Rs for testing to the automotive press. A white, a silver, and a Black one. The black one was damaged somehow and was kept in reserve for parts. All three cars are US spec, but are definitely pre-production, and are classified as "engineering test cars", which is the only way they are legal for registration and operation on US roads. Once their lifecycle is done (90 days), they go to the crusher. This explains the caveats by C&D, and MT regarding the performance, and the extraordinary dyno result produced by the silver car.

That SAME silver car, with Michigan plates, is the one now competing in the One Lap. It is therefore NOT a production car, and if the dyno is any indication, is making a lot more power than the production car's certified 480.

I agree with Wanderer Z06 that this has no real bearing on the OneLap since it's a run-what-you-brung race, but the GT-R fanoys have been claiming all along that a production GT-R is outperforming the stock Z06s and that is simply not true.

The R&T editor also said that this car is causing a major ruckus in the auto press and that some mags are rethinking their testing procedures with respect to manufacturer-supplied vehicles. Automobile reportedly declined to test the Nissan at this time because the cars supplied were not production cars. Expect that trend to be followed by others henceforward, he said.

Last edited:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turns out Nissan was sneaking (cheating) around a tech to all the various events to make sure the car didnt break, and when the driver screwed up the launch a the drags, the tech magically showed up to make sure he didnt screw it up again. They are some sneaky little buggers. They've been having problems with the tranny sending the car into limp mode and it's pretty bad in Japan to where they are making changes prior to releasing to the US. Leh said he SAW (not heard lol) black smoke coming from the rear of the car at the strip and the car was covered in soot on the back (enter japanese technician).

#1 That's cheating #2 It didnt help.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turns out Nissan was sneaking (cheating) around a tech to all the various events to make sure the car didnt break, and when the driver screwed up the launch a the drags, the tech magically showed up to make sure he didnt screw it up again. They are some sneaky little buggers. They've been having problems with the tranny sending the car into limp mode and it's pretty bad in Japan to where they are making changes prior to releasing to the US. Leh said he SAW (not heard lol) black smoke coming from the rear of the car at the strip and the car was covered in soot on the back (enter japanese technician).

#1 That's cheating #2 It didnt help.
Don't all *** Gizmo's come with a tech in the trunk? That makes it legal. :nono:

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May be wrong info but I saw this on 6speedonline regarding the GTR.

I have spoken to one of the R&T editors, who was kind enough to take the time to discuss the provenance of the GT-Rs used in testing. That conversation relates to this thread as follows: Nissan provided 3 GT-Rs for testing to the automotive press. A white, a silver, and a Black one. The black one was damaged somehow and was kept in reserve for parts. All three cars are US spec, but are definitely pre-production, and are classified as "engineering test cars", which is the only way they are legal for registration and operation on US roads. Once their lifecycle is done (90 days), they go to the crusher. This explains the caveats by C&D, and MT regarding the performance, and the extraordinary dyno result produced by the silver car.

That SAME silver car, with Michigan plates, is the one now competing in the One Lap. It is therefore NOT a production car, and if the dyno is any indication, is making a lot more power than the production car's certified 480.

I agree with Wanderer Z06 that this has no real bearing on the OneLap since it's a run-what-you-brung race, but the GT-R fanoys have been claiming all along that a production GT-R is outperforming the stock Z06s and that is simply not true.

The R&T editor also said that this car is causing a major ruckus in the auto press and that some mags are rethinking their testing procedures with respect to manufacturer-supplied vehicles. Automobile reportedly declined to test the Nissan at this time because the cars supplied were not production cars. Expect that trend to be followed by others henceforward, he said.

The tested GRs were ringer, cheating, X-Box wealel-mobiles. 4000lbs and 480hp does not produce the mag numbers the ringers were laying down. Now even the strongest of the ringer-mobiles--still cheating with traveling tech apparently--is getting spanked by the ACR with headers at One Lap. Interesting new car, but the KING it is not.

ZR1, ACR and 997 GT2 will be/are on a different level as they should be. As I have said all along, let's wait until the cars hit the streets. Now, if they announce 600hp, then it is game on again!

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't all *** Gizmo's come with a tech in the trunk? That makes it legal. :nono:

:lmao:

HAHAHAH Leh checked the trunk, not there, I think he was hiding in the glove box. Or maybe somewhere under the back seat that car is so big, and well Japanese men arent exaclty the biggest guys. If you're 6ft (5'10 even) or taller and have been to Japan you'll know what I mean. (everything makes you feel like a gargantuan)

:rolaugh:

But then again, the car is so advanced, maybe it can fix itself.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why does this thread even exist? There is absolutely no comparison between the two. The Viper is in a completely different/higher league than the GT-R. Nissan GT-R. (Notice different sentence) And viper should never even be in the same sentence, PERIOD.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I drove the GTR and my wife drove my highly modified 850bhp GTS I would win every time (the GTR would win). Otherwise it would be a crash or die thing. The only way the GTR could win is if I crashed the GTS. My wife would run the course in her Escape 4x4 just as fast as she'd run the GTR.

Reality is that my Stealth should kick the GTR with NO problem since my electronic controlled suspension went into the garbage and was replaced with GABs and Eibachs. My 500hp is 20 more than the GTR and everything else (weight, tire size, etc.) is equal.

Like a Z06 if everything is similar and a beginner races against a beginner in the non computer controlled car the computer wins. Use a good driver against a computer and the computer loses every time.

The main idea of the Viper right from the beginning has been "nothing but performance". Trying to say that a "Street car" design is faster???

Buy one and come on out. Without modifications, every other car can kick your GTR ass, even antique Supras. I guess you could instal racing shocks, up the boost and instal bigger turbos, then it should be pretty quick.

Ted

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a world of exotic supercars the GTR simply doesnt have the look, emotion or the light weight. In a world of luxury cars the GTR doesnt have the comfort, the room and the usable features. In a world of utility well the GTR cant really do anything very usefull.

Where it excells at is in the play station generation, the problem is that not many of them can afford a car like the GTR.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In a world of exotic supercars the GTR simply doesnt have the look, emotion or the light weight. In a world of luxury cars the GTR doesnt have the comfort, the room and the usable features. In a world of utility well the GTR cant really do anything very usefull.

Where it excells at is in the play station generation, the problem is that not many of them can afford a car like the GTR.

Agreed. It may work for the 'geek' generation with all of it's computer assists. No one has mentioned if the car has a digital/computerized "climate control system" like my 1992 Dodge Stealth came with. How about a computer controlled stereo system like what came in my Stealth? I'd hate to think that they've added only TC and "launch control" to the '92 Stealth electronics. Wouldn't make the GTR appear to be very hi-tech if the 92 Stealth came with all the computer junk except the two aforementioned systems...

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21