No Power Need suggestions.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok Im throwing this out there in hopes of some help with my gen 3. It has the Novi 2000 supercharger along with the BB exhaust. Just today out of the blue it doesnt have the power that it did. When I let off the gas while it always had that crackling backfire, it is now very excessive. Burnt rubber smell in the cabin when the engine is turned off. Idles fine and all gauges are fine. Its almost as if the supercharger is not kicking in. It definitely doesnt have the throw back power it normally does. Today in first gear it was slow to move with a lot of gas. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Chrissss,

Your answer is not an easy one. There could be many issues going on- do you have the stock cats in place? Is the Paxton belt intact? Have the spark plug wires / spark plugs been replaced?

Stand next to the car when idling and see if both sides of the exhaust outlets feel as if they are flowing the same.

Best of Luck,
Doug Levin

954 434-9356

OP
OP
C

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Both sides are flowing the same. stock cats in place and the Paxton belt in intact and moving. spark plugs and wires have not been replaced.

Reaction score
Both sides are flowing the same. stock cats in place and the Paxton belt in intact and moving. spark plugs and wires have not been replaced.

Without seeing the car I can't say for sure it's plugs and wires but if you haven't changed them recently it should have been done already. All performance cars need 'precise' ignition components to perform efficiently/properly. Do you have access to a boost gauge? Also, check the vacuum hoses, as well as the 3" hoses that run from supercharger to intercooler are on properly- inspect well and leave no stone unturned!

Best regards,
Doug

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burning rubber smell, lack of power, Sure sounds like the belt. Plugs would diminish performance slowly, not drastically fast.

natsfan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Burning rubber smell, lack of power, Sure sounds like the belt. Plugs would diminish performance slowly, not drastically fast.

I agree. Sounds like the belt is slipping. That would explain the burn rubber smell and the lack of boost all at once. Maybe the belt tension pulley has loosened up and you have too much slack in the belt.

I had something similar happen to me on a Paxton I had on a mustang. I ended up throwing the whole belt off before I realized what was happening.

Reaction score
I agree. Sounds like the belt is slipping. That would explain the burn rubber smell and the lack of boost all at once. Maybe the belt tension pulley has loosened up and you have too much slack in the belt.

.... All the reason why I inquired about a boost gauge. The pin on the tensioner may have broken, hence, the belt slipping.
Now, be as it may, he can install one of our tensioner assists without removing anything and it would remedy the broken pin situation.

OP
OP
C

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys I will definitely take a look at all you have suggested....thanks so much.