opinions on wheels needed :)

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some Kenesis black w/polished lip on my Blue/White, and IMO it doesn't look that bad.... but I do want to go chrome now.... so for the guys who like chrome.... here's what I'm debating... should I go with a set of chrome 01's, Chrome my Kenesis wheels... or just leave it how it is... thank for the $.02 guys, haven't trouble deciding... I was gonna go CCW, but may just hold off on that for a while... my first two options are gonna run me just $1000 total cost either way, so I can't resist.

*pulled some pics out of the gallery, thx to the owners.. sweet rides :)

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you won't be able to get the $$ back out of the chrome job if you do it... CCWs you get most of the $$ out of them.

I kinda like the black Kinesis on your car... pretty sharp.

JD

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once you drive 5 miles the difference between chrome and highly polished 01s might be almost zero depending on how dust-free your brake shoes are. Repeatedly using some Meguiar's fine swirl remover paint polish on clearcoat can really bring out a nice shine.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would go with the 01's of those 3 selections, hands down. Look great on that car (with that color combo). However, top choice not listed would be ACR cromed on that color combo.

2 cents

Jon

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once you drive 5 miles the difference between chrome and highly polished 01s might be almost zero depending on how dust-free your brake shoes are. Repeatedly using some Meguiar's fine swirl remover paint polish on clearcoat can really bring out a nice shine.

That is what I used, topped off with some Turtle cleaner wax.

8631022705_1-med.jpg

8631022705_2-med.jpg

OP
OP
G

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thx all, that's a mirror finish alright! well I'm trying to work out some 01's... if I can find a nice set at a decent price I'm gonna do it... if anyone has a set lemme know... otherwise Snakehydes really got me going about some forgelines or aftermarket... which I may do, but I'm gonna wait to see if anyone can turn up some 01 style wheels first. thx again for the input.

Reaction score
I agree with the above...the black wheels do not sit right on the Blue/White for some reason. And Jon is on the money...chrome ACR wheels would just be drop-dead gorgeous!

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Joe,

While I was replying to your PM I realized there is a shop in Sac off of El Camino that specializes in refinishing wheels. They can dismount your tires, tear down and polish multi piece wheels like yours in no time. They are very reasonable too, if I remember about $500 with remounting and balancing of your tires even for all four.

That would be your best bet dollar for dollar in having something aftermarket but shinier. I agree the black doesn't work as well on your color, but Kenesis wheels are very nice and are worth hanging on to. Besides, the mesh style spoke looks great on Vipers, and polished stuff looks even better.

Give them a call: Precision Wheel 916-641-7454. I have seen their work and it is pretty damn good stuff.

Brian

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chrome ACR's first, then then the chrome Kinesis. Black does look funny on the b&w, and I'm not a fan of the 01 wheels. It's not my car though.

OP
OP
G

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may consider trading someone straight up if you have a nice set of 01 sytle wheels... let me know.... my wheels would look sweet on a black or silver Viper...

OP
OP
G

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plus they're Kenesis K-28's.... very nice brand... otherwise I'll do like Brian suggested... repolish and keep my a$$ still for a while. :)

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just can't understand why you'd want the heavier stock wheels on it! I don't think they look as good as the Kenisis wheels.

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chrome the 01's. The black doesn't do the car justice & the polished wheel is just poor mans chrome. Just my opinion for what ever it's worth.

Bo

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree the polished stock wheel does not look as good as chrome. Although the picture above is a great finishing, imagine how much clearer your thumb reflection would be with a true chrome. There's only so far you can go polishing a clearcoat, polishing the wheels down to the metal and recoating would be another step, chrome is best. Polished wheels can look as good as chrome--for a while--but need more maintenance IMHO.

By the way, as a Sapphire owner, I always wondered what wheels like those Kinesis would look like on my car with true factory blue centers and polished or chrome lips. Think about that with your '96. I bet it would look damn straight and highly unique.

OP
OP
G

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just can't understand why you'd want the heavier stock wheels on it! I don't think they look as good as the Kenisis wheels.

well my car is fast (IMO), so I figured I have a lil room to trade some "Go" for "Show"... chrome is gonna be heavier either way... I forced myself to like the black wheels... but honestly they'd look way hotter on a black or silver car.... I'm in between getting the 01's and chroming my Kenesis.... which ever pans out first I guess... thx for the input though. :)

OP
OP
G

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Brian, I just talked to precision wheels... he wants me to check out this "Powder Coated Chrome look they have" he says that with the polished lip would look awesome... he says it's identical to chrome, just lasts longer and is less resistent to (flaking, cracking ect.) if I go this route I'll definitely post pics for everyone to check out the work.... going to see him right now...

OP
OP
G

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool! they are picking my wheels up tomorrow... and will PermaStar chrome the centers and mirror polish the lip... $1040 out the door... the price for 3-piece wheels were a little more expensive but that's cool... I'll post pics in a couple weeks when they get back... very excited after I saw the samples.