Optima Batteries

bbirch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mark J, do you know why the Optima factory folks state they do not have a battery to fit the 2006 SRT-10 Coupe?

thanks, brent

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Brent. While awaiting the answer from Mark, I would say that we are very happy with the Sears Die-Hard Platinum (series 34) in our 03. It is also an AGM design with a great projected service life and good warranty. It's actually made by EnerSys...who also makes the Odyssey batteries.
It's around 52 lbs, and retails for about $190.00.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car recently sat for 3 weeks w/o being started. It has a Werker battery (2-3 yrs old I think) in it. It cranked up like it was BRAND NEW. An Optima battery dies if you let your car sit for 3 MINUTES without cranking it (exaggeration, but you get the point). It was also under $100 if memory serves me correctly. Definitely not $200 like POS Optimas.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Put me down as another happy Diehard customer. I've let my car sit for up to two months without a Battery Tender and it fires right up. I've read too many bad stories about Optima on here to mess with them.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Optima doesn't list it as they have never had the car to factory certify the fit. Among their other concerns was that the area might be non-vented. I suspect that will change soon as they now have photos of an install in a Gen III/IV - the Group 34 fits perfectly.

We have had an Optima in our 2005 Viper for the last six months or so and it has been flawless. More cold cranking amps and it turns over faster too - great when you have extra hardware on the front end (supercharger). Our car has sat for some long stretches with no tender and fires right up every time. Best of all, if you are a VCA member you can get a fantastic discount, World Challenge posters, and two tickets to any 2010 World Challenge race:

http://forums.viperclub.org/vca-mem...ther-vca-member-benefit-optima-batteries.html

It helps support your VCA too! :2tu:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, Brent. While awaiting the answer from Mark, I would say that we are very happy with the Sears Die-Hard Platinum (series 34) in our 03. It is also an AGM design with a great projected service life and good warranty. It's actually made by EnerSys...who also makes the Odyssey batteries.
The Sears AGM is a flat plate AGM design as compared to the spiral wound type for Optima. There are some specific differences between the types as it relates to max amps, deep draw, overcharge resistance, etc. Most of the Optima issues that I am aware of are related to the low acid volume to plate surface area ratio, increasing overcharging sensitivity. Overcharge an Optima and you will quickly boil off the acid and fail the battery.

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

We have Diehard Platinum batteries in all four of our cars.

I love these things so much I shoehorned one into a car that originally came with a smaller battery (stuck a Group 34 into a group 58/59 equipped car)

Had one in the 05 Viper for almost two years now and it's great. No problems at all.

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have used an optima battery in my '92 RT/10 for at least two years with not issues and I drive it infrequently. sometimes daily in sumeer and often only once a month in winter. Have never had an issue.

That said, I use Die Hard batteries in my other sports cars with no issue. They are both fine. I really didn't want corrosion issues with my Viper since the battery is next to the frame.

James

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have used an optima battery in my '92 RT/10 for at least two years with no issues and I drive it infrequently. Sometimes daily in summer and often only once a month in winter. Have never had an issue.

That said, I use Die Hard batteries in my other sports cars with no issue. They are both fine. I really didn't want corrosion issues with my Viper since the battery is next to the frame.

James

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456