OUCH!! (photo and sad tale)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, first off, it's NOT mine (whew!). However, our own Randy Stafford had a bit of a mishap down in Oklahoma this past fall. Here are the results:

<center>
You must be registered for see images
</center>

He was running at a private track with several other performance cars. Always honing his skills as a driver so as to finally beat Bill Pemberton at Viper Days, he "just plain goofed" this time around. He had apparently taken a corner very fast while passing three other cars. No problem there, but when he came over the hill on the other side of the corner he drifted just a bit and dropped a tire off the edge. The car spun in a perfect 360º spin and promptly stalled. As he frantically tried to restart it, two of the cars he had passed zipped by on either side. Unfortunately, the VW Scirocco (which was trailing the other two) watched as the two cars in front split either way and he went right up the middle - into Randy's pristine 1999 GTS (with Connolly leather).

Now, while there is little consolation in a damaged Viper ($18K's worth), there is one amusing side note: The Scirocco driver, besides having the story of a lifetime, said this, "I have been in a few fender benders on the track and no matter what you bump it usually seems to give. When I hit that Viper it was like hitting a wall - it didn't even budge!" Randy told us that he drove the car afterwards and it drove perfectly. Even the back hatch glass (undamaged) still latched perfectly! He had been tempted to bring it back to Kansas City, but has had a shop in Oklahoma working on it for him. I understand he got some good price breaks on it and many of the parts are coming from Autoform.

Thought you might be interested!

Chris

PS. Ray, didn't you say this was the best Viper you ever owned?
You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant