Paint Matching

BoeingMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody with a Gen II Blue Sapphire viper ever have to have the paint touched up on an entire or partial panel, or bumper. Have you had issues with having the paint match up perfectly?

The blue Sapphire has gold and silver metal flake and also has a little pearl in it. I imagine this has got to be a son of a gun to have matched up. I am thinking it has got be close to impossible. Any success or horror stories??

Thanks in advance for all comments

Last edited:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its a flip of a coin and what lucky day it is--all you can do is find a very savy painter and keep you fingers crossed--best to blend it but that also depends on what panel it is

whts-nxt?

Viper Owner
Reaction score
a real good shop should be able to match that. My shop is a very small shop compared to most but we strive in quality. There are many options on paint shading . On our dupont system can take a picture of a panel on your car and compare it to the factory formula and it will change and shade it to match for fading etc. We also do a test panel of what we first choose as the color. We spray thetest panel just like we would on the car sealed based and cleared. Then we take that and compare it to the car and see if its a good blendable match. If it looks good then we are done if not then we see what the color needs,ex: more blue, finer flake more pearl etc etc. The key is making a test panel and a match that is good before anything is done to the car. There should be plenty of shops who do this. If you have room to blend out or blend on the next panel is better. Transition space is important for the human eyes to not see much of any difference

Viperbass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had to have a side sill redone and it is a perfect match. It definitely depends on the skill of the painter as well. Too thick of a coat will appear different. The painter I used checked the sill in fluorescent, natural and incandescent light before he approved the job. I am fanatical about paint and finishes and it well met my criteria. Do some homework and find a good shop close to you and go interview them. There was nothing magical with the paint code from my understanding. Dean Loucks from The Art of Design did my work and I have been extremely pleased.

Good luck with your work!

P.S. Feel free to get my number from Steve if you would like. I will be happy to talk to you about it.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Had to have a side sill redone and it is a perfect match. It definitely depends on the skill of the painter as well. Too thick of a coat will appear different. The painter I used checked the sill in fluorescent, natural and incandescent light before he approved the job. I am fanatical about paint and finishes and it well met my criteria. Do some homework and find a good shop close to you and go interview them. There was nothing magical with the paint code from my understanding. Dean Loucks from The Art of Design did my work and I have been extremely pleased. Good luck with your work!

P.S. Feel free to get my number from Steve if you would like. I will be happy to talk to you about it.

There Ya Go ! A local guy, ready to help a fellow Owner! And great feeback from whts-nxt. We have had several SAPPH owners do repairs and happy with results....not as difficult as some other colors. 20 years ago? YIKES!