Paxton Issue

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started having some electrical gremlins recently. Odd things like the passenger side high beam light staying on when cold, but weirdly going off when under power. Then it started to run very rough, like on 5 cylinders when idling. well, I dove into it this morning and guess what I found?

The intercooler case was rubbing on the wiring loom that is fastened to the center bar. I have quite a few miles on the Paxton system (around 15,000) so this did not happen overnight. But something to be watchful for.

Here are some pics:
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
G

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'Twas I. I understand what occurred now. The power steering hose is trapped between the intercooler and the wiring. The wiring has several hard mounted retainers in close vicinity (mounted to the shaft). You can see one in the lower picture.

You can see if yours has clearance by looking at the rear side of the intercooler and seeing how tight the hose is trapped.

Note the Paxton instructions have you bend this ends of this hose to gain clearance. But given how short the hose is the clearance cannot be much, if any.

I have now cleaned, wrapped and relocated the wiring to the bottom side of the shaft. That should eliminate the wiring wear issue. But the hose is still trapped between and may require some gentle persuasion.

I also noted lots of oily residue. Looks like it is coming from the by-pass valve and filter. I checked and there was no pooled oil anywhere inside. My guess is that it is coming out when in by-pass mode during a decel under boost.

Last edited:

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found the same problem with mine when I had to change a squeaky belt tension pulley. You also need to check the bottom of the water tank as well,that same metal end of that hose will rub the tank also.

Good news-the squeaky tensioner helped me spot both problems before I had any issues.

Bad news-the new tensioner is starting to squeal too.

Getting about 1 tensioner for every 3000 miles. I don't look forward to doing it again.

Is there a better one than stock ? Anyone else had this problem?

OP
OP
G

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem with the tensioner here. I did notice the hose crimp contacting the intercooler also. Hopefully that issue is gone now that I have adjusted the hose some. Though it can still contact the intercooler, it will not be hard contact.

I do not know how any other installers would have avoided this unless they installed a different powersteering/fan hose.

I believe Doug Levin has a different bracket and tensioner.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug helped me change the first one. I know he has a bracket for Gen 1 and I can't remember why we put a stock one back on. Maybe he has a better one now. I am fortunate to have such a good friend as Doug,but with all the work he has I hate to bother him.

Doug if you read this please give me a call.

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug Levin should have the parts to do it right for the Paxton kit.