Penske coil over problem

RON98GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the Penske coil overs with eibach's on my 98 GTS. I had some sort of a mishap and I thought I would run it by you guys. I was driving on saturday and I was traveling at about 60 MPH and I was about to cross an overpass for the highway. As I hit the overpass the car lifted up slightly from the difference in the road grade. The car lifted and came back down but the right rear suspension was making a ton of noise. I stopped and found the right rear suspension all the way down. I got my car trailer and took it home because it was grinding so bad, I couldnt move it. I took the wheel off and the shock had disconnected from the little round pivot piece at the top of the shock perch. It looks like it is held in by some sort of c-clip or something. It had disconnected and shoved the shock partially through the fenderwell, it made the shock rub the wheel and grind the aluminum up on the lip. It also made the spring rub the threads off of the adjuster for the ride height. So my question is how did this happen? I dont race the car, the previous owner had put these on. I have a damaged wheel, a damaged spring, a hole in my fenderwell and I dont understand how and why this part failed. Any help would be appreciated. :mad:

OP
OP
R

RON98GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<<Can't help you with the "why" but if you want to swap your Penske's for some stock 98 shocks I may be interested.<<

I am taking them off and puting the stock shocks back on along with the eibachs. I will sell these once I fix whatever is wrong with it. I have receipts for 6k, that the previous owner spent on these. Im not sure what they are worth. They have about 10k miles on them. Ive never seen anything come apart like that. Very strange.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two c-clips, one on each side of the bearing. One must have come out. Places like AFCO Racing sell these small parts if you want to repair it. They would have bearings, clips, individual threaded sleeves, individual adjuster screws, etc.
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There should be a jam nut beneath the upper spring retainer to keep the polish rod from unscrewing. It either wasn't there, or worked its way loose. That won't happen with the stock dampers. It is probable the Penske shock may have to be disassembled and checked carefully for damaged parts.

OP
OP
R

RON98GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
does anyone know if the eibachs that are on the coil overs will go directly on to the stock shocks?? Are there different ones or will they switch over??

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I just bought some Penskes, think I'll have a good look at them before they get put on the car. Thanks for your post.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang