Pics of a new TURBO srt from SPI (dialup beware)

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was asked to post these on the other site, so I thought I would share the pics here as well

6400frankengine219-med.jpg

6400frankengine239-med.jpg

6400frankengine238-med.jpg

vd.. :2tu:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like a nightmare to me. i dont like all those tubes being run like THAT.

what kinda power it got ?

SPI TWIN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hood and paint are fine, the turbos are right below the hood louvers and air flows in from the scoop at the front and out past the turbos, out of the louvers. We did cover the inside of the louvers with some reflective heat covering from DEI though.
I could sell the headers, down pipes and intercooler although I don't think this kit is good for the DIY'er due to the amount of wiring and parts relocating involved. We built this car for the GUMBALL RALLY 3000 and it was shipped two days ago overseas. The car has a completely stock engine and full factory exhaust w/cats. We tuned the car at about 4.5lbs of boost and it made 561rwhp and 632rwtq. We did some pulls at 8-9 lbs and saw #'s consistently above the 760's.
When the car gets back from the GUMBALL in about 5 weeks we will be pulling and building the engine and everything else and start pouring the boost to it. Right now the car was just made to be reliable, and see if our setup worked. The car drives flawlessly and passed an emission test no problem.
Thanks for the replies guys.

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It definitely looks different than the other twin turbo kits for sure..

You have a dyno graph?

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those that do not know, DEI makes a system called Cry02, which is used to cool.... intercoolers and such. You can see how it works at:

www.designengineering.com

When I spoke to the folks at DEI a while back, they were excited about being on/part of this Canadian designed and made TT.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like the Borg from the startrek series has invaded the viper. Resistence is futile.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where does one get cry02 refilled and whats the cost?

vd..

CO2 is a common welding shielding gas, I would guess any welding supply could fill the tank...... I poked around their site and found this:

"Co² is readily available at any welding supply shop or where paintball guns are charged"

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I go paintballing quite often and have a 1 pound bottle filled for 2.50. should give you an idea vd.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Interesting. Looks like you could add 2 more long tubes for a cold air intake - which actually would seem to make sense since the underhood temp might be a bit on the toasty side.

BOGOTA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIPER D, very cool. I might have to take you on with my SINGLE TURBO SUPRA.. You def got my beat in my GTS. :2tu:

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SPI Twin

Respectfully and I want to make this abundantly clear, RESPECTFULLY:

1. What size are those turbos? Whats the biggest/safest you can go with them?
2. Is there a concern for the proximity of the turbine housing to the spark plug wires, and the oil lines?
3. Why such an unusual approach to an intercooler configuration?
4. On the compressor out you're right on top of the fuel rails and over the spark plug wires. Is there a plan to repath this configuration or was this the only available path for this layout?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

Respectfully,

Jay K.

SPI TWIN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JGK95, Thanks for the post-I know this is an unusual design so I don't mind any questions or criticism. The turbos are custom built 61's from ITS, we have fit 76's on this system with no problems. All of the wires and lines are of the best quality and are wrapped or covered with DEI products for protection. The compressor out does not go over the fuel rail it runs beside it, the wires are under and again wrapped for protection.
The turbos and intercooler are where they are because my customer had requested with this build that he could see everything when he opened the hood-his car, his choice. The underhood temps are obviously higher than stock but really aren't that bad especially when the car is moving. The turbos are directly underneath the factory louvers in the hood, so air comes in through the scoop at the front of the hood, past the turbos and out of the louvers-actually works very well.
There were some minor changes made to the car after these pics were taken in regards to the routing of wires and things. Now that we know the system works we are fabricating all new intercooler plumbing doing away with all of the silicone elbows and replacing it with aluminum tubing so that we can route it nicer and pretty up the engine bay a bit. The engine is being built in about 4 weeks, so that we can lean on the boost and put out some better #'s.

Thanks Jay K.

Andrew Turner SPI

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala