polishing exhaust tips...

Edward 96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noticed the exhaust tips needing some polishing, what will bring back the shine? Are the tips clear coated? Thanks.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you could see where the factory tips meet the resonator...you would see that they are coated/painted just at the tips. I would only use a non abrasive polish/wax. They are not stainless or chrome that could be aggresively polsihed. One more thing...Viper factory wheels are clear coated...don't use chrome or metal polish..jsut a good quality wax or polish. (Zaino)

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Matt is correct. The stock tips are ceramic coated and any abrasive cleaner, (especially chrome polish, which typically is especially abrasive) will dull the tips rather than shine them.

My experience is just to clean them and live with the dullness, or you could do what I did, cut the welds that hold them on, get them chromed (cost me $50) and reweld back on. Mine look great now. </FONT f>

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the exhaust tips are Jet-Hot coated and that stuff responds to polishing to make it a bit more shiny, but I have found that even though the people at JetHot who do the coating told me they would "polish up nicely" with some alum. polish, that the shine never stays for very long.
I tried doing this on a set of headers that were coated, but the shine eventually just went away. Pete the ex glass guy (and hot rodder).