Question about 2001 waterpump issue

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is there a build date for the impeller issue/problem that anyone knows for 2001's? Mine is fine but it was just a thought and maybe something I have to look forward to replacing. ( or not look forward to depending on how you look at it:D) Did a search but didn't come up with any production dates of the problem. My BMW had the same inferior plastic impellers and went at about 80K miles. Thanks!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never heard of that specific info, and when I went to order a new Mopar pump to replace it "just because," Jon B never made any mention of that statistic either. I would assume someone like him might have known that, and subsequently offered that info when inquiring about the purchase and installation of an "unneeded" part.

Dave, 2001 GTS with newer than that pump.

OPENRUP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked Chuck Tator a while ago if their was certain VIN # series or build date that got the bad water pumps and he said not really. They have no way of telling what cars got the "good" pumps from those that got the "bad" pumps. Apparently they were all on a shelf during assembly and put in at random.

OP
OP
H

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Never heard of that specific info, and when I went to order a new Mopar pump to replace it "just because," Jon B never made any mention of that statistic either. I would assume someone like him might have known that, and subsequently offered that info when inquiring about the purchase and installation of an "unneeded" part.

Dave, 2001 GTS with newer than that pump.
Dave, is the "new" Mopar pump made with plastic impellers?

OP
OP
H

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I asked Chuck Tator a while ago if their was certain VIN # series or build date that got the bad water pumps and he said not really. They have no way of telling what cars got the "good" pumps from those that got the "bad" pumps. Apparently they were all on a shelf during assembly and put in at random.
So what you're saying is I may or may not be the one with the bullet in the chamber! :D A little roulette anybody? Guess it's time to get another "back up" part! Waiting on Dave's response on the new pump info to see if they have improved.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went through an install because mine went out. I did alot of comparing and searching online and they were all plastic. I think it was wise to stay away from the Cardona because it looked exactly like the 01 pump. There were a few minor details, like a tiny line around the outside of the impeller that was the same on the bad one. I bought a replacement off ebay and it didn't have the line and looked to be made out a different type of plastic because it wasn't as shiny.