Question about my 1999 RT/10

ChrisXoxide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a second gen viper I got about a month ago, and I keep forgetting to ask this question.

On that little display, circle thing... Whenever Im in first gear, certain tiems, that up arrow will light up.

Everyone that gets in my car asks me what it is, and I still don't know the answer. Its not a shift indicator, because it only occurs in first gear, and nowhere near when Im fulling accelerating.

Im sure this is a simple answer for any of you. Thanks.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
That's the EPA "suggesting" you shift into second gear to allow for maximum miles per gallon!

PETSN8K

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you attempt to shift when the arrow is lit, you will be forced into fourth gear. 1st to 4th shift. The light only occurs in first gear.

OP
OP
C

ChrisXoxide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you attempt to shift when the arrow is lit, you will be forced into fourth gear. 1st to 4th shift. The light only occurs in first gear.

Wow I need to go test this.

I've driven 1800 miles now, and never noticed this.

PETSN8K

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can overide this forced shift with a shift eliminator. Or do what I do and accelerate through the light before shifting.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you who are Bob and Tom fans this is a question for Mr.Odvious!

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is indeed an arrow that tells you that if you shift from first while the arrow is lit...the shifter will be guided into 4th instead of second.To avoid this, stay in first jsut a bit longer into the RPMs.

(My 03 Mustang Cobra has an upshift light like Joe H is talking about.)

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or if you start the shift while the light is on, and you want to get into second, blip the throttle, should go into second no problem. The light isn't an upshift-because-you're reaching-the-rev-range deal or upshift-because-you're-wasting-gas deal like my mom's crappy Saturn.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96