Question on new exhaust installation

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yesterday was a sad day, the last day for the Viper this season, I took the collision insurance off it and it's garage bound till next spring. I've got a couple winter projects for my '02 RT 10, one being installing a Corsa exhaust and Random Cats. I'm OK with wrenchs, nothing great but not too stupid either. I planned on doing this project myself but I don't weld. It looks like everything from Corsa can be clamped but the cats need to be welded. Can the cats be clamped on the pipes as well or must they be welded? Does it make sence to install all the exhaust and hire a mobile welder come by to weld the cats? While I'm at it should I just have him weld the whole thing? Am I throwing good money after bad by paying a mobile welder, by the time I do that would I be better just to take it to a performance shop and have it done right?

Let me know what you guys think.

Jerry

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry,

I also have winter plans for Belanger headers, Random Tech cats and the Corsa cat-back exhaust for my 2001 RT/10. I understand that some of the fittings are slip-fit, but I don't have the parts on hand yet. I've been looking at these stainless steel band clamps...
The Walker 33222 Stainless Steel Torctite Band Clamp for slip-fit applications

You must be registered for see images attach

and the Walker 33278 Stainless Steel Strap Band Clamp for butt joints.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
H

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought I read in the forums there is some reason you're not suppose to drive the car with the sills off. I don'r recall the reason, the only thing that can happen is branding yourself getting out of the car.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I read in the forums there is some reason you're not suppose to drive the car with the sills off. I don'r recall the reason, the only thing that can happen is branding yourself getting out of the car

if you are unlucky and end up getting stuck in traffic w/o the sills, you could melt your doors, is what i've been told :omg:

or brand your legs :omg:, or both :omg:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i drove 50 miles round trip in mine without sills, no problem. cant imagine why it would be either except the burns on your legs possibly

OP
OP
H

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
eucharistos, that's where I saw it, thanks.

I'm working on a four post lift and looking for some stuff to do over the winter so I think at this point I'll install the exhaust with clamps from the cats back, drive it the 5 or 6 miles to a good muffler shop and have them install the cats and weld the whole thing.

My other winter projects are to install the PS pulley and bracket, replace the battery, while I'm at it clean up the batterty tray and install new less dusty and noisey brake pads.

That's about it for this years budget. Let me know if anybody has more thoughts on my exhaust project.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no prob here riding without sills. had em off for 3-weeks this summer while experementing with exhaust components. Drove for many miles including a trackday.

however, i never had stock cats on my GTS wich is the item that produces the most heat.
I would be concerned if riding w/ stock cats w/ sills off if sitting in traffic

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove mine about 25 miles with no sills and open headers, no issues at all. The sound was incredible(Roe blower, heads, large cam), sounded like a prostock car.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang