Qustions for a coming owner

viperv10swedane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Qustions from an owner to be :)

Hi everybody.
I've search all over this great site but I have'nt been able to find answers to my specific questions. If the answers are already here, I apologize :)

The thing is, that I'm a Dane who are going to move to Sweden. I'm 100% sure that I'm going to buy a used Viper ('95-'95 or '99). So as a total rookie when it concerns Viper (or any other US car for that matter!), I have a lot of questions.

The three cars I've got in mind, are these:

http://www.bytbil.com/carinfo.cgi?cid=2722636 (1994, 22000 miles)
http://www.bytbil.com/carinfo.cgi?cid=2758347 (1995, 26200 miles)
http://www.bytbil.com/carinfo.cgi?cid=2665637 (1999, 7200 miles)

The choice is obviously, but off course the '99 is the most expensive of the three. The prices are:

1994: $58700
1995: $57200
1999: $74700

I have to tell you, that when your a dane, these prices are very low - in Denmark you have to add 180% to these - swedish - prices, so thats another good reason to move to sweden :)

Now, this is the tree I can choose between. If I get more for my house in Denmark than I expect, I'll buy the '99. But now to my qustions:

Is the anything in particular that I should beware of when it comes to the mentioned models? I think about known technical problems/issues.

What about corrosion! In scandinavia we certainly are'nt that priviliged when it comes to sunshine. But I presume that the owners of the cars treat the car as I would, and that is to drive it in weekends and in the DRY summer :) But is corrosion an issue?

I don't care about AC/Climate - it's a racer, not a Corvette :D It would be great if one of you ******** Viper owners could enlighten me with pro/cons. And if any cons, what they are so I can use those when I make a monthly budget.

Kind regards

Frank (46 yr), Denmark (Sweden in a few months)

Last edited:

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
holy cow, buy one in America and get it shipped over there if it's possible. Save ya quite a bit of cash.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the 94' and 95' check to see if the headgaskets have been upgraded to the multi-layered steel (MLS) style. If they still have the paper gaskets, they WILL start leaking (if they arent already)

OP
OP
V

viperv10swedane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll check the headgaskets on the car(s). Thanks for the advice. As come for the import, they (the Danish goverment) is'nt that stupid - after all :( If I import one from ex. US, they look up in the papers to see what a Viper was tax-priced for in 1995, and then add that tax PLUS 25% moms (a Danish tax invention!). So it will always add up - and believe me, a lot of people have tried, and it just don't pay off :mad: And rememember one thing; the prices I wrote is Swedish prices! The Danish prices are almost a double up! An example is this:

Harley-Davidson has a new model on the market called Rocker. The Swedish price in US $ is $31000,-. If you buy the same bike in Denmark, the price - again in in US $ - is ... $63600,- !!!!!

The reason I'm moving over the very little pond from Copenhagen to Malmö is that I'm getting divorced (and I'm fine with that ;) ) and I can get a nice house in the countryside with my own little creek and forest, for something like US $165000,-. My house in the Copenhagen suburbs is worth about $620000,- and it's as far from my job as the house in Sweden is! So this was just to put things in perspective :) Prices in Sweden is about 30% cheaper overall. And still I've the same social benefits as I get in Denmark. Sweden has a lot of heavy industries (mining, car manufacturies, flight industries and much more), something little tiny Denmark do not have. So I figure thats one of the reasons they can keep things cheaper.

Kind regards

Frank

Last edited:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Luck on the move...and the acquisition of a Viper!!! Yeah, we're with you on being fine with our divorces!! LOL...wow, yeah, putting perspective on prices...!! We wish you the best of luck in your move, and of COURSE your Viper decision!!! ~juli

V

Venomiss

Hopefully some Viper owners of 94,95, or 99 will chime in with some advice for you before you purchase.

Good luck!

OP
OP
V

viperv10swedane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've just talked to the Swedish authorities what taxes would be if I imported a Viper from the states ... and I was very (positively) surprised; with everything included (taxes, plates, etc.) it's going to cost me US$ 1100,- + the shipping cost from US to Sweden. Thats a LOT cheaper than the taxes we're used to in Denmark. So I might just import a Viper from US when I've moved to Sweden and are settled there. But on the other hand, it can be risky business, as I do not know the condition on any given car! I can see by going through posts in this forum, that even though some have written mint condition - it's not necessarily the truth :( So it might be a very risky task to buy a car worth $50000 --> on the distance. But I'll make a descision when eveythin g else is in place. It's great though, to know that I do have the opportunity to make an import from US, without getting broke as far as taxes go :2tu:

Kind regards

Frank

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Frank,
If you do find a Viper over here, and would want it checked out, I would be glad to provide my services. I am an ASE certified Master Technician, and have been doing vehicle inspections and purchasing consulting for over 10 years as well. Since you are a prospective member to the family, all I would charge is the actual cost (mileage etc.)to go see the car. My fee would be free for you for doing a Viper since you are across the pond. I have a 95 RT/10 myself.
Let me know if I can help.
Jim

OP
OP
V

viperv10swedane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi xlrashn.
Thank you very much for your genurous offer :2tu:
When everything is settled as going for moving to Sweden, the next big thing is the Viper :) And then "I'll be back" ;)

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Frank

V

Venomiss

I've just talked to the Swedish authorities what taxes would be if I imported a Viper from the states ... and I was very (positively) surprised; with everything included (taxes, plates, etc.) it's going to cost me US$ 1100,- + the shipping cost from US to Sweden. Thats a LOT cheaper than the taxes we're used to in Denmark. So I might just import a Viper from US when I've moved to Sweden and are settled there. But on the other hand, it can be risky business, as I do not know the condition on any given car! I can see by going through posts in this forum, that even though some have written mint condition - it's not necessarily the truth :( So it might be a very risky task to buy a car worth $50000 --> on the distance. But I'll make a descision when eveythin g else is in place. It's great though, to know that I do have the opportunity to make an import from US, without getting broke as far as taxes go :2tu:

Kind regards

Frank

Here is a thread you might want to look at for newbies:2 pages worth
http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?p=2404534#post2404534post2404534

Talk with Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse. They have one of the largest Viper Pits in the country.
1-800-889-1893
1-402-426-4126

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960