Radar Detectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just reading about driving an RT 10 without the top.

About 2 years ago I got a speeding ticket in Massachusetts 105 on Route 495 North in Merrimack.

The officer was very polite. Said see you in court.

Cost me $ 500.00 for a lawyer, $ 500.00 in fines and court fees. Plus a safe driver seminar.

Plus 6 months probation. If No problems, they drop the criminal charge of driving to endanger.

* Soon thereafter I sold my C5 Corvette and bought a Cadillac STS.

Now, do you recommend a detector?

I promised my wife she would not have to visit me in jail- When I bought the Viper.

Some states treat this offence just like Driving Under The Infuence.

I saw an add for K40 detectors when I had a sterio installed.

Any good? Please advise

-Jeff

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was very close to losing my license in 1996 due to many speeding tickets. I can say that since I bought my first detector then I haven't had a single speeding ticket and I really haven't slowed down. They are worth it but get a good one, Valentine is my personal favorite but others are good too.

OK, so this is a bit preachy, but do everyone a favor and don't speed in residential areas or anywhere that you endanger others, especially kids. On the freeway though, with little traffic, that's where I like my detector.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have the valentine 1 and have picked off troopers on the thruway far enough out that i would have to look for them!!!
it is by far much more than i could have expected and it is nice to have front, side and rear coverage you can actually watch him go by you on the detector !!!
smile.gif
spend the little extra for the VALENTINE IT IS WORTH IT!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Before I begin let me say I have read ALL the threads on this topic, (that is why I resurrected this thread rather than start a new one) and I also know quite a bit about detectors and radar guns, (I even have a Decatur Genesis K band RADAR installed in my 91 Stealth ). I know 95% of the members on the board prefer the Valentine1 over Passport 8500, but my main question is how do the 2 compare with Ka Band? Having gotten 2 tickets recently using an older Passport 4500 with just a chirp from the unit as I was shot dead on, I'm trading up! I have also read both websites literature, web links, and magazine reviews. If I was concerened about X or K Band I would choose the V1, but everything I have read seems to favor the 8500 for Ka band. Any members with experience with both detectors or run-ins with Ka band would be appeciated! Thanks!

CW

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since getting a V1 2+ years ago I have not been stopped for speeding. Many opportunities but the V1 saved me. Knowing not only the band and strength, but direction as well is invaluable.

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost all radar around here is Ka; X and K are almost nonexistent. Which is why I bought the 8500, plus the sleeker non-Russian design didn't hurt.
wink.gif

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great topic and one that has indeed been discussed before. Sounds like we are getting some more great feedback, so I will respectfully move this to Off Topic for further comments. Thanks!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine