Ran a [email protected] mph, beat a NEW ZO6

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I headed to the track this morning. About halfway there a Yellow ZO6 gets on freeway right behind me and gets on my butt. I let him by and follow. Then road opens so I pull up next to him. We roll on from about 65mph. I beleive he was in 2nd, I was in 3rd and he took off first. Had a 1/4 car and then I reeled him in during my 3-4 shift and we held even,nearing top of fourth I was barely nudging ahead. So we slow down and then he gets off next exit. Oh well, keep on heading to track.

So im at track and things are running late,waiting in tech line. Guess who pulls in. Mr yellow ZO6.

So we start the day. I run 2 back to back 13.7's. Im embarrarsed,car is spinning 1-3rd gear. Even when im easy on it. I ran a 12.5@115 at VOI9,my only other time to track. The ZO6 goes and runs a 12.5 his first run.

He asks if I want to run. The track is going to let us race side by side,which normally doesnt happen at a test n tune day. Im nervous and expecting embarrassment. Alot of people watch as the Viper/Vette showdown starts. We go and Im already nudging him thru first, I win and come back to see times of my 12.0 to his 12.7 , Im so happy. Next race I spin bad and run a 12.9 to his 12.2 or so. After that we run 3-4 more times. I pull out a [email protected] mph with a 1.883 60ft. My next three runs are all 11.8's , he runs in between 12.2-12.9 , he never hit 11's. He did have some high mph runs,think he hit 126mph once but his time was still a 12 something. He was a nice guy,had vette like 2 weeks he said. Never been on track before.

Well he leaves and I finish day with about 4-5 more runs all ranging in 11.8/11.9 and get up to as high as 124 mph trap speeds. A few more 1.8-2.0 60 fts. It was a great day. A little cold so traction was still a issue. I ended up dropping tire pressure to 26 from my previous 30-32 I had when I couldnt hook up. If it was a little warmer track I think car may see a 11.5. We will see some day. All in all I had alot of fun.

And it just goes to show,that drivers pull low 11's all day in new Z06 but there can be your average Joe who runs high 11's and even 12's. And there was a kid with a C5 ZO6, he hit some low 12's,then got a 11.9. It was modded with basic bolt ons. Im not as scared of the New C6 ZO6 anymore,though I still respect them.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool. I had an identical experience before Thanksgiving on a Friday test & tune night. C6 Z06, we just happened to get lined up next to each other. It was funny cause i told my nephew that I'd probably get spanked so brace himself. I went 11.93 @ 122.3, he went 12.3, he also never hit 11's.

I don't think of myself as a good driver, I hit the drag strip maybe once a year on avg if that. But I guess jsut good enough that night.

D.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Run 11s to spank the New ZO6 that is supposed to run 9s! :D

Congrats, I'm sure you can go even faster with a bit more seat time! :2tu:

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice runs, and excellent job with the Z06. Were you on stock tires?

Thanks. Also, YES, I was on stock Run-flat tires. They **** but i still managed some 1.8's But even the 2-3 shift they want to spin up bad. I didnt shift hard like I normally do racin on freeway. But it was also Cold today. Still I cant wait till the new PS2 comes out in the stock Gen3 sizes. If i get the PS2's, I my go run gain,otherwise its just a yearly thing for me.

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, 1.8s on street tires is incredible!! I have never raced before either, and I took my completely stock Z06 to the track one time, and have been twice since I got my mods, the last time being with my new tires.

Even with brand new Michelin PS1 (non-runflat) and 26psi, I still ran 2.1s 60' times all day. My best is a 1.995 60', which I have only hit 3 times.

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quick question, do you guys think if I ran a 11.7@123, could adding headers which should give another 25rwhp, plus drag radials, get me to a 10.9999 on a good day. Or is it going to take more to get there.

I feel like the car has more, I was still being easy on it 1st and 2nd gear, so I know drag radials or slicks would help. But yet I dont want to break anything. Plus I only go out to drag maybe 1-2 times a year. But a 10sec 1/4 mile would be nice.

NorCalSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With your 124mph trap and the power you're currently putting down...I don't think 10's would be entirley impossible with headers/DR's. But the conditions would have to be perfect (read: negative D/A). If you got just DR's and cut a 1.6 60' you could possibly run an 11.2-11.3...maybe?

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
even though you say you think the car has more because you were being "easy on it", i've noticed the easier/smooth i'm on my car at the track i run better times. For instance, if i leave the line will low r's and then hit it is much better than me leaving the line at high r's and riding the clutch.
my best time was 11.91 and my best trap was 121, 80 degree day, high humidity.

either way looks like great runs

03gobluecobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think 10's will be quite possible. 1.6's with some drag radials would be very good, and still at least a few tenth's away from running 10's. With slick's I'd say it might be possible, but probably not on DR's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang