Renegade Trailer Failure

fixrim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On March 21, 2004, the Wheels America Renegade trailer (8 months old) broke where the tongue frame meets the box, and crashed into a ditch and flipped onto its side. Both #99 & #98 cars were inside, along with our Austin Mini, Harley V-rod, and all spares, etc. Trailer in its current load is well under capacity, tongue weight is under max, and this is clearly a problem that should not have occurred. Thankfully, it didn’t cross the road and kill someone in oncoming traffic....

Since that time, we have been in contact with Renegade, as well as our insurance company, and the insurance company for Renegade.

Our insurance company was prompt and courteous and took care of us on our covered losses. (Thanks to Mel at Gulfway Insurance). However, there are uncovered losses. Shortly after the incident, Renegade sent their engineer to our facility to review the damage. In addition, our insurance company sent an engineer. Engineers have also been here from Renegade’s insurance company as well. In addition to those three engineers, representatives from other trailer manufacturers have seen the trailer as well.

Renegade offered to build us another unit right away. I tried all the other manufacturers, but the lead time was 16-24 weeks, and we could not wait, so I went with the Renegade again, despite my reservations. Renegade also assured me at the time that “we would get this all worked out” before the new trailer was ready.

All of the engineers that have been here have agreed that there was massive failure in the front tongue portion of the trailer, and that faulty welds were the likely culprit. Our engineer took the tongue of the trailer to do some testing on it so that we would have an expert report. My insurance company has already commenced an investigation so that they may sue Renegade for the damages they have to pay. Since that time, Renegade’s insurance company has requested that NO testing be done to the tongue, since such testing may result in destruction of the evidence. All of the engineers who have seen the trailer (5 so far, plus one president of a trailer manufacturer) have all agreed it was a serious product defect. Not one has said that this could have been even partly caused by us. Despite this evidence, Renegade refuses to take responsibility.

Since that time, Renegade has informed other customers with tag trailers that they are developing a “patch kit” so as to prevent this type of failure on someone else’s trailer. This patch kit apparently will gusset the areas where our trailer failed. IN spite of this, Renegade still refuses to accept liability and responsibility for this failure.

Sadly, Renegade has denied responsibility for this incident, and has said “At this time, we do not feel as though we are liable and we will not be held liable for the damage to your trailer”. When pressed about how this occurred, and who is responsible, all they can say is that they are not responsible.

Here are the facts:

The trailer had two BMW race cars that weighed 5000lbs combined, an Austin Mini that weighed about 1500lbs, a Harley Vrod at 600 lbs, and a spare motor, trans, and diff that are no more than 1000lbs. Add 500lbs for spares and another 1000lbs for tools and quad, and we are still at a total load in the trailer of under 9500lbs. For a three car stacker, this weight does not seem unreasonable.

The trailer had 3 8000lb axles, yet had we decided to go with 3 10000 lb axles, the frame would have remained the same (according to Bob Ball at Renegade). Since it was the frame that failed, we must assume then that the frame is rated for at least 30000 lbs.

The road prior to the incident was straight and smooth. No bumps, no collisions, no other issues at all. Just a tongue that fell off the trailer while driving.

Renegade’s insurance company says Renegade is not liable because of two issues, first, they contend the trailer was overloaded. If this is true, then any Renegade designed to haul three cars can’t do it. Don’t event think about hauling three street cars based on this assessment. Number two, they say the frame manufacturer is liable. To the end user, I don’t care what “part” failed. I only care that Renegade sold me a defective product that has now cost me thousands. It is Renegade’s final product, regardless of the source of the parts. After all, using this logic, the frame manufacturer could claim defective steel, and soon we would be suing the owner of the mine where the iron came from that made the steel..

Currently, I am out in excess of $40,000 for actual losses, including the Mini, and various damage to the cars and cargo. My insurance company has already paid out nearly $110,000, making total losses here in excess of $150,000. I am out $40,000 OUT OF POCKET. In addition, I am out loss of use. To date, Renegade refuses to accept any liability whatsoever.

Renegade could simply call their insurance carrier and tell them that this product was in fact defective. The fact that Renegade is issuing a patch kit indicates this is true. Yet at this time, Renegade says they are not liable. In the event you are in the market for a trailer, or know anyone who is, beware. Renegade has demonstrated from this incident that they will do the following:

1. Build a seriously defective product, putting at risk people’s lives. There are currently other Renegade tag trailers on the road that are just like this one, and another failure could kill someone. This is both unacceptable and irresponsible.
2. Will refuse to take responsibility, even when the evidence against them is overwhelming.
3. Will refuse to take care of a customer on a unit that is STILL under factory warranty. (How is it that the trailer is warrantied, yet the broken tongue is “not the responsibility of Renegade”?)
4. Has no regard to financial losses to the end user that resulted from their negligence.

During this entire ordeal, I have asked Renegade repeatedly what they intend to do about my losses. Over and over again, they say “nothing, we are not responsible”.

All I want is for Renegade to take responsibility for their actions, but since they refuse to do so, then I feel as though it is my responsibility to make sure all racers and others know what kind of company Renegade is.

Throughout this entire ordeal, Chuck McKibbin, president of Renegade, will not take or return my calls. That tells you a little about how they treat their customers…

Be cautious if you have a Renegade, or are considering buying one..And if you have a tag Renegade, by all means, check out that tongue. If it breaks off, like mine did, Renegade IS NOT going to take care of you, and if someone is injured, YOU’LL be the person being sued.. I was simply very lucky there were no injuries….
Bob

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if your looking at at renegade type rig, purchase the totorhome from the mfg you want but go to Gold Rush for the Trailer.....hundred times better, you gotta see the lift in these workhorses....

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This sounds very much like Airstream. Their customer service and the backing of their products is horrible. You can expect the same type of response from Airstream as they have gotten from Renegade.
Avoid both

newredrt10

Former VCA National President
Administrator
Reaction score
It sounds like they have had more than one of these failures. If they say it was they're fault with yours they are open to being at fault for the others. Contact other dealers to see if they know of any other failures

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang