Replacing Your Heat Shields

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the factory heat shields on a 02' GTS can be replaced with some type of aftermarket exhaust wrap or blanket?:dunno:

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wraps will cause rust. I would go back with OEM heat shields. Thats what I have over Belanger headers.:2tu:

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fitted square screen mesh over all the existing old insulation on the car. Then I spread a layer of chimney cement over the top of that.
I tryed not to make it too thick as the stuff is heavy.
It did the job for ~ $50.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better to get rid of the insulation all together and open the front and rear of the sill.

He is correct... After trying everything under the sun on my side sills. AIRFLOW is king... The wraps just get heat soaked after a while. Gut everything out, and maybe even buy those vents from JonB.

D

DAMN YANKEE

The idea that wraps cause rust comes from two unresolved issues:

1. Improper tightening of the exhaust system.

2. Allowing the rockers to run dry after heavy rains, parking in a river or driving into open surf.

There is no physical way that wrapping something onto a super hot pipe system attracts moisture from the air and creates a rust environment. Allowing months of condensation dripping out before the cats (around the catless) areas will do it. Driving in heavy rain and not letting the wrap dry out from normal pipe heat will do it. Parking in the middle of the ocean or public swimming pool will do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang