Rollover Facts

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Cris,

Did you mis Jay's post above?

So the hoops on the SRT are just for looks. Are they not tied into anything like the frame? Seems like a waste not to at least make them usefull for a rollover. They don't have to call them roll hoops, just make them sturdy enough to help in a roll over.

They are plenty sturdy and are tied to the frame but just may not be tall enough for all drivers.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, just did not believe him.

So Jay, from your engineering perspective, what is it about the SRT roll hoops that makes you believe:
. That they are "plenty sturdy?"
. - So what is the gauge of the aluminum hoop? How does the ultimate strength of the hoop compare to say a steel roll hoop?
. That they are "tied to the frame" effectively?

Have you actually viewed the parts or are you saying the above because someone at DC told you so?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cris is right - they are NOT tied to the frame. The Porsche Boxster is a good example of a roll hoop that is structural. It is allowed on many tracks because of the engineering that went into the design (I am sure Porsche has this somewhere on their website....) The SRT hoop has to be able to support the weight of the car - theoretically, but that's if it were picked up and gently placed upside down. The materials can support the weight, but not in a real world rollover where gentle isn't a descriptive.

The RT-10's "sport bar" is a far superior design - it is VERY structural and it esentially the same as that's in a GTS - minus some front to rear bracing under the roof. (funny how they call it a "sport bar" and the SRT's "roll hoops".... surprised legal didn't have a field day with the second naming....)

As a person who has removed the roof from a GTS, looked at the welds, examined the sport bar and just how extensively it is an integral component, I can honestly say that there is no comparison in the safety of these 2 designs.

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cris...

Very nice job here :2tu:

I recently used the description here for the stock hoops. Conversation went something like this:

Me: Yes Mr. Insurance Investigator...the car apparently suffered from multiple rolls and even slid across a concrete ravine on its top (or lack thereof).
MII: Well...how would you describe the vehicles ability to handle a rollover?
Me: In all honesty...I would have to say that the rollbar saved the lives of the occupants but I am kinda pissed.
MII: Pissed? why?
Me: Because I could have saved a lot of money by just depending on the stock hoops...they are described as being plenty sturdy.
MII: Funny...we don't have ANY ratings for items that are "plenty sturdy"...I'll have to get back with you on that one.

Plenty sturdy. Sounds like my father describing his fathers ladder.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picture of the STURDY roll hoops. I can hear Johnny Carson asking "How sturdy are they?" Not! But even 6 foot under Johnny can get the question right.
7177Sport_Hoops.jpg

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't read all the above post but what about head restraints? I have taken lots of pictures in the last 25 years of racers heads getting smashed into the roll bars and even one guys head completly out of the window, all with racing harness seat belts on. The face likes to break the steering wheels also. None of my crash pictures are in Vipers but in regular race cars with full roll cages and such.
Tim G.
584221.jpg

We have lift off. This guy had a safe landing but others weren't so lucky.